This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This bitcoin crash makes me happy I sold my 7950

#11Snuckie7Posted 12/16/2013 10:38:45 PM
aak57 posted...
Snuckie7 posted...
Thescyy posted...
Snuckie7 posted...
I just sold mine for $400. Now to decide what card to play with next. . .

What have you been leaning towards?

A GTX 780, probably the DCUII or Lightning. I'll probably get it off Newegg and use the Masterpass promo to get $50 off.

I did just miss a $50 rebate on the Lightning though. . .

No Classy?

It's a little more than I want to spend. The Lightning was actually considerably cheaper a few days ago with the rebate. $450 vs. the $510 classy. The classy is still $20 more expensive right now.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#12Tony_Biggie_Pun(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2013 10:48:15 PM
WyzeGye posted...
btc will bounce back, dare i say... to the moon

It probably willl. hopefully only after I get a new card and start mining again though :P

Thundar posted...
Was tempted to sell my 7970, but the thought of someone returning my card 30 days later all beat to hell and getting their money back didn't really appeal to me. I guess I don't have much faith in the human race.

Craigslist bro. You get the money asap and don't have to worry about ass****s who abuse the ebay system. Not to mention, no ebay/paypal/shipping fees
#13Bazooka_PenguinPosted 12/16/2013 10:52:25 PM
I could sell my 7950 for $300-400, but I have nothing to replace it. And getting a 290+aftermarket cooler would have a net cost of ~$200

By the time the prices go down and reference 290s come out, I could probably sell a 7950 for ~$200 and get a 290 for about ~400, so still about ~$200 net cost.

Makes no real difference I think. Nvidia isn't really an option because their GPUs aren't compatible with powerstrip
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#14VolebamusPosted 12/17/2013 12:23:09 AM
TC, do you live somewhere that offers free electricity? From last I remember with calculators, the cost of electricity outweighs the bitcoin return unless you decided to use ASICs instead.
---
(( It is of my own Volition to act as I have. ))
#15ArkonBladePosted 12/17/2013 12:59:07 AM
Tony_Biggie_Pun posted...
Prices of GPUs are probably going to go back to sane levels in a few weeks. Then I'll get me an R9 290 with my profit from the card.

Then I'll use it to mine again just in case it starts to boom again

I hope so. I want to build my new PC soon and this is the only thing holding me back. I I ordered my tower and ram today only because they were on sale at a great price. Otherwise waiting for the GPU thing to calm down so I can get my Radeon 7950.

otherwise have to look at a different card.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#16Tony_Biggie_Pun(Topic Creator)Posted 12/17/2013 2:26:17 AM
Volebamus posted...
TC, do you live somewhere that offers free electricity? From last I remember with calculators, the cost of electricity outweighs the bitcoin return unless you decided to use ASICs instead.

nah. electricity isnt free at my place. Mining bitcoin isnt profitable, you're right. However mining coins like litecoin and feathercoin do bring in enough for it to not be nullified by electric costs
#17SpacewhizguyPosted 12/17/2013 4:14:58 AM
Tony_Biggie_Pun posted...
Prices of GPUs are probably going to go back to sane levels in a few weeks.

Bitcoin prices have crashed to this level multiple times in the past month or so.

Cute to see how you just got into the game though.
---
What's a sig?
#18Tony_Biggie_Pun(Topic Creator)Posted 12/17/2013 9:29:57 AM
I already know it has crashef multiple times. And it will rise and crash again. I never said it was dead
#19Omegachaos87Posted 12/17/2013 10:37:08 AM
Why are people overpaying for already-old GPUs, when they could just buy an entry level ASIC mining rig for not a whole lot more that would blow the doors off their PC for bitcoin mining? I've never understood the herd mentality.
#20r0ge00Posted 12/17/2013 10:57:45 AM
Omegachaos87 posted...
Why are people overpaying for already-old GPUs, when they could just buy an entry level ASIC mining rig for not a whole lot more that would blow the doors off their PC for bitcoin mining? I've never understood the herd mentality.

Wait times for ASICs are pretty high and they're buying cards for litecoin, altcoin, etc, which don't have ASICs yet IIRC.