This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can you copy a Steam game to a new computer and install it?

#1GeneralFringsPosted 12/16/2013 3:35:26 PM
If I copy the game directory (from steamapps/common) to a new computer, can I have Steam on the new computer install it? A friend and I both bought this game and with our internet it will take 3 hours just to download one copy... I figured we could expedite the process.
---
How deep is too deep?
#2Orestes417Posted 12/16/2013 3:37:28 PM
Usually yeah
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#3arrseeteePosted 12/16/2013 3:38:00 PM
Yeah, just copy and paste the game files, then sign in and "verify integrity" of the files. It'll auto sync and scan the files, and download anything missing. You can also "backup" files as well, but I've never actually used that method before.
---
Posting from phone. So Police, don't whine about minor mistakes.
#4ShubPosted 12/16/2013 3:38:15 PM
That should work, yes. Just make sure to put the files in the correct spot so Steam finds them.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5OUberLordPosted 12/16/2013 3:38:45 PM
I've used the backup method, and it worked great for me. Never tried copy/paste :P
#6GeneralFrings(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2013 3:41:24 PM
Alright thanks guys. I'll post the results later.
---
How deep is too deep?
#7arleasPosted 12/16/2013 3:43:44 PM
I've been copying over games directly from my other computer to the new one and sometimes it runs right away and sometimes it doesn't...if it doesn't at that point I can verify the cache and download the 8 or 10 files it doesn't have and then it works. Unfortunately my drive is so slow that I'm only getting 10MB/sec transfer rate, but that beats the 2-3MB/sec download speed I'd be getting otherwise.

I'd only back up the files if you need to keep them in storage for a long period of time... actually I plan on backing up my games to blu-ray once my burner gets here...
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png