This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

IT, Network System Admin, Comp Repair...

#1PanopictonguyPosted 12/17/2013 12:52:48 PM
Without being good at algebra or calculus. Is this possible, or worthwhile?
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#2ChetyrePosted 12/17/2013 12:54:52 PM
You don't need to know calculus for those. Calculus is for heavy programming only. What you need is basic logic.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#3JKatarnPosted 12/17/2013 12:58:31 PM
You won't need any high level math for those kind of positions, but you will most likely have to take a few Algebra courses and possibly accounting as part of your IT program to fulfill a math/sciences requirement.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#4Panopictonguy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/17/2013 1:00:37 PM
Ok cool. I have a friend who is currently at ITT and the math is deterring them. They're considering another school that gets straight computers, networking and the certifications.
---
#5ChromaticAngelPosted 12/17/2013 1:05:03 PM
Panopictonguy posted...
Ok cool. I have a friend who is currently at ITT and the math is deterring them. They're considering another school that gets straight computers, networking and the certifications.

is he being forced to take the math online? if he is, tell him he can pay a small price out of pocket to take math classes at a local community college and get transfer credit at ITT.

ITT will accept almost all general education credits from almost any other college you can go to, and they count math as general education.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#6Panopictonguy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/17/2013 1:11:54 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
Panopictonguy posted...

is he being forced to take the math online? if he is, tell him he can pay a small price out of pocket to take math classes at a local community college and get transfer credit at ITT.

ITT will accept almost all general education credits from almost any other college you can go to, and they count math as general education.

Ok cool thanks for the info.
---
#7Worknofun370Posted 12/17/2013 1:19:40 PM
This is going to sound rude but.

Tell your friend to transfer to a different place than ITT. They're not respected in the industry and it does not do much for your resume either. You have to remember that you're judged by your peers when people are looking at your resume, and most of the people coming out of ITT are... well... not the best candidate.

As for the topic at hand, the only one that really requires any math is a Network Admin, and even then the math is extremely basic given the scope of things.
#8Panopictonguy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/17/2013 1:24:43 PM
Worknofun370 posted...

Tell your friend to transfer to a different place than ITT. They're not respected in the industry and it does not do much for your resume either. You have to remember that you're judged by your peers when people are looking at your resume, and most of the people coming out of ITT are... well... not the best candidate.

As for the topic at hand, the only one that really requires any math is a Network Admin, and even then the math is extremely basic given the scope of things.

Ok cool that gives a little more insight.
---
#9mrCubePosted 12/17/2013 1:25:08 PM
Worknofun370 posted...

Eh.... I don't really find this to be true. Two of my coworkers got their training at ITT and they're great at what they do. Experience is the important thing.
---
---
#10Worknofun370Posted 12/17/2013 1:31:20 PM
mrCube posted...
Worknofun370 posted...

Eh.... I don't really find this to be true. Two of my coworkers got their training at ITT and they're great at what they do. Experience is the important thing.

Experience, without question, is the important thing in the IT world. There was actually just a topic about it a few days ago, Experience + Who you know are the top two ways to get a job in the IT world.

I'm also not saying that people who go to iTT are going to be jobless... so the fact that a few of your co-workers went to ITT really doesn't impact anything I'm claiming.

I'm simply pointing out it's not a strong item on a resume (especially considering the cost). I've never been in an interview and before the candidate came in heard someone go "Oh he went to ITT, nice."