This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you wish Motherboards didn't include sound cards?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you wish Motherboards didn't include sound cards?
2 years ago#1
Do you want a motherboard without a included soundcard? - Results (143 votes)
Yes! I'd rather save money and buy the sound card I want
19.58% (28 votes)
No! Onboard is good enough
80.42% (115 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Since almost all motherboards include onboard sound as a default, alot of times that just includes a piece of technology that is more often than not badly implemented and of low quality, ergo wasting money and adding in a piece of hardware that is bound to get replaced by a discrete sound card.

What would you folks rather have?

Personally, I wish they never included onboard sound cards, ergo save the end user some money and let me buy the sound card I want.
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
2 years ago#2
My motherboard (Asrock Z68 Extreme4) puts out very decent sound with its onboard hardware but perhaps I'm not all that discerning either. I'm guessing I fall into the majority.
"Hey-hey! Tea! Can I have some too? With lotsa sugar and honey and... oh yeah, don't forget the lard!" - Palmer
Waiting for MGS:GZ (& MGO3)
2 years ago#3
Onboard sound hasn't been poor quality for a long time.
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.
2 years ago#4
Onboard quality varies for me. The Sigmatel chipset in my old Intel Badaxe pumps out music better than Realtek does. I think I would have to get a RIVE motherboard for good onboard sound.
I've had the halftime of my life
and I owe it all to S.U.
2 years ago#5
Depends on just how much money it'd save.
2 years ago#6
it probably costs them like 2 bucks
^ this
2 years ago#7
TC are you serious about this topic? You will save money if they didnt include it on the mobo? Are you serious? Stupid topic is stupid.
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
2 years ago#8
Definitely prefer them with, I'm a big fan of mITX which wouldn't have room for a dedicated card, I'd have to go with USB or something. That being said most (all?) onboard audio runs through the CPU so I doubt the cost is anything substantial. I imagine it's more software than hardware with the only hardware being the actual audio jacks.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
2 years ago#9
I am not sure, the ALC 1150 chip on newer motherboards is quite good, and upgraded versions of it are even better. Only hardcore audiophile would spend $200 on a good soundcard.
2 years ago#10
Even a $30 Xonar DG is typically better than most onboard sound cards, so I'd have to say I'd prefer that most motherboards not come with them, at least higher end ones.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you wish Motherboards didn't include sound cards?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived