This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you wish Motherboards didn't include sound cards?

#1KamenRiderBladePosted 12/17/2013 6:40:33 PM
Do you want a motherboard without a included soundcard? - Results (143 votes)
Yes! I'd rather save money and buy the sound card I want
19.58% (28 votes)
No! Onboard is good enough
80.42% (115 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Since almost all motherboards include onboard sound as a default, alot of times that just includes a piece of technology that is more often than not badly implemented and of low quality, ergo wasting money and adding in a piece of hardware that is bound to get replaced by a discrete sound card.

What would you folks rather have?

Personally, I wish they never included onboard sound cards, ergo save the end user some money and let me buy the sound card I want.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#2Lard_in_TeaPosted 12/17/2013 6:49:28 PM
My motherboard (Asrock Z68 Extreme4) puts out very decent sound with its onboard hardware but perhaps I'm not all that discerning either. I'm guessing I fall into the majority.
---
"Hey-hey! Tea! Can I have some too? With lotsa sugar and honey and... oh yeah, don't forget the lard!" - Palmer
Waiting for MGS:GZ (& MGO3)
#3myztikricePosted 12/17/2013 6:50:42 PM
Onboard sound hasn't been poor quality for a long time.
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.
#4CC RicersPosted 12/17/2013 7:01:20 PM
Onboard quality varies for me. The Sigmatel chipset in my old Intel Badaxe pumps out music better than Realtek does. I think I would have to get a RIVE motherboard for good onboard sound.
---
I've had the halftime of my life
and I owe it all to S.U.
#5Soviet_SnorlaxPosted 12/17/2013 7:02:42 PM
Depends on just how much money it'd save.
---
http://i.imgur.com/M47pyxj.png
#PromoteIwata
#6LordSeiferPosted 12/17/2013 7:06:15 PM
it probably costs them like 2 bucks
---
^ this
#7Fade2black001Posted 12/17/2013 7:07:33 PM
TC are you serious about this topic? You will save money if they didnt include it on the mobo? Are you serious? Stupid topic is stupid.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#8PhilOnDezPosted 12/17/2013 7:12:37 PM
Definitely prefer them with, I'm a big fan of mITX which wouldn't have room for a dedicated card, I'd have to go with USB or something. That being said most (all?) onboard audio runs through the CPU so I doubt the cost is anything substantial. I imagine it's more software than hardware with the only hardware being the actual audio jacks.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#9Flaktrooper123Posted 12/17/2013 7:12:50 PM
I am not sure, the ALC 1150 chip on newer motherboards is quite good, and upgraded versions of it are even better. Only hardcore audiophile would spend $200 on a good soundcard.
#10AlleRacingPosted 12/17/2013 7:28:00 PM
Even a $30 Xonar DG is typically better than most onboard sound cards, so I'd have to say I'd prefer that most motherboards not come with them, at least higher end ones.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg