This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

VRAM Question

#1Narwhal7Posted 12/17/2013 6:53:58 PM(edited)
So, I recently purchased an AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB. I've owned it for a good week now, and it's a very big upgrade from my old card.

It was supposed to have 1GB of vram, but upon viewing dxdiag, it says I have 4GBs of Vram.
Did I just overlook it? Or is something going on?
I'm a bit new to pc gaming, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!
#2myztikricePosted 12/17/2013 6:54:31 PM
That's adding up your shared system memory, if you right click on the desktop, go to Screen resolution, advanced settings, it will tell you dedicated memory (graphics card) and shared system memory
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.
#3Narwhal7(Topic Creator)Posted 12/17/2013 6:55:57 PM
myztikrice posted...
That's adding up your shared system memory, if you right click on the desktop, go to Screen resolution, advanced settings, it will tell you dedicated memory (graphics card) and shared system memory

So sorry if this is a stupid question, but does that mean I really have 4GBs of VRAM?
#4GwendalPosted 12/17/2013 7:00:14 PM(edited)
I've read about this before, and I think it's just an error in Dxdiag. I just tried running it on my own system, and the same thing happens here. It claims my 560 Ti has 4050MB video memory, which would obviously be absurd.

Edit:

Narwhal7 posted...
myztikrice posted...

So sorry if this is a stupid question, but does that mean I really have 4GBs of VRAM?

Nope. Only the very highest-end cards have that kind of VRAM...even the 780Ti doesn't have more than 3GB. Besides, you probably wouldn't be able to take advantage of that much VRAM with that card anyway.
---
Currently playing:
Crusader Kings 2 (PC), Persona 3 FES (PS2), Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)