This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do games require 64-bit yet?

#1Solid SonicPosted 12/17/2013 7:42:03 PM
If not, is it time?
---
The claim: I play what's fun.
The truth: Video games aren't entertaining enough, I must chide others for choosing to play something I won't.
#2wizardmonPosted 12/17/2013 7:43:03 PM
Yes.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#3chase1234lifePosted 12/17/2013 7:43:25 PM
Please rephrase your first question.

If however you mean a 64-bit operating system (which is what I'm assuming), then no. And no.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/chasewolf
J.O.B. Squad 4 life
#4SinisterSlayPosted 12/17/2013 8:37:51 PM
We are right on the edge. For the most part, 32bit will give you minimum settings these days.

The executables are still 32bit but they get access to 4 gigs of RAM and unlimited VRAM.
So as long as a game doesn't need more than 4 gigs of RAM there is no reason to go 64bit yet.

However, an operating system at 32bit has a maximum of 4 gigs memory total, thats VRAM and system RAM combined. And subtract 512mb of kernel space(wasted memory) and you end up with 3.5 gigs maximum assuming you don't have a video card, if you do, VRAM is subtracted from the system memory. A 1 gig card will leave you with 2.5-3 gigs of RAM. A 3 gig 680 would leave you with less than a gig of system ram. You can't run a game in that little space.

64bit OSs emulate 32bit address spaces for 32bit programs. So each program gets 4 gigs of addressable memory space.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#5metroidman92Posted 12/17/2013 8:48:20 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
We are right on the edge. For the most part, 32bit will give you minimum settings these days.

The executables are still 32bit but they get access to 4 gigs of RAM and unlimited VRAM.
So as long as a game doesn't need more than 4 gigs of RAM there is no reason to go 64bit yet.

However, an operating system at 32bit has a maximum of 4 gigs memory total, thats VRAM and system RAM combined. And subtract 512mb of kernel space(wasted memory) and you end up with 3.5 gigs maximum assuming you don't have a video card, if you do, VRAM is subtracted from the system memory. A 1 gig card will leave you with 2.5-3 gigs of RAM. A 3 gig 680 would leave you with less than a gig of system ram. You can't run a game in that little space.

64bit OSs emulate 32bit address spaces for 32bit programs. So each program gets 4 gigs of addressable memory space.

I think I learned more in this post than I did in a whole semester of CompSci.

No wonder my PC can't play s***.
---
New s*** has come to light.
#6GoshoraiPosted 12/17/2013 8:58:13 PM
SinisterSlay posted...

No wonder my PC is behaving like crap, I have 3gb System and my GPU has 2gb, i'm on W7x86.

Also, wasnt Watch_Dogs the first game to *require* a 64bits? or I'm confusing stuff?
---
"Woah~, Onee-sama...your breasts are so big~!"
Steam ID: Goshorai. / XBL:ShoraiZenta.
#7The cranky hermitPosted 12/17/2013 9:35:39 PM
If however you mean a 64-bit operating system (which is what I'm assuming), then no. And no.

The second "no" seems to be implying that we should still stick to 32-bit OS's. If you were going to buy Win7 or later, why wouldn't you get the 64-bit version? The only reason I can think of is 16-bit compatibility, which you can get with DOSBox, and I don't think 32-bit Win7 works with 16-bit games anyway.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#8PhilOnDezPosted 12/17/2013 9:46:13 PM
Goshorai posted...
No wonder my PC is behaving like crap, I have 3gb System and my GPU has 2gb, i'm on W7x86.

Also, wasnt Watch_Dogs the first game to *require* a 64bits? or I'm confusing stuff?

I've seen a few Alphas/Betas that required 64 bit but with a 32bit final release, if only as an option. Watch dogs is the only one I know of that will be 64 bit only.

Be careful on the X86 stuff, X64 is short for X86_64, don't reinstall for nothing.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#9Ikari GendoPosted 12/17/2013 10:52:56 PM
Doesn't X-Rebirth require x64? It's hard to tell why since performance sucks so much.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
#10SinisterSlayPosted 12/17/2013 11:24:34 PM
Ikari Gendo posted...
Doesn't X-Rebirth require x64? It's hard to tell why since performance sucks so much.

From what I heard its a 32bit exe.
However, the graphics card requirements puts it over the limit of a 32bit OS, so realistically you'd want a 64 bit system.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence