This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do games require 64-bit yet?

#11RemyLebeau_88Posted 12/17/2013 11:25:39 PM
Gal Civ 3 is another game that will require 64 bit.
---
http://www.ddgamer.com/76561198001005811/camo_sig2.png http://i.imgur.com/K69QYwN.gif
[i5 2500] [24GB DDR3] [GTX 560 Ti] [Corsair 650TX] [Win 7x64] [1920x1080]
#12WerdnAndreWPosted 12/17/2013 11:39:33 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
We are right on the edge. For the most part, 32bit will give you minimum settings these days.

The executables are still 32bit but they get access to 4 gigs of RAM and unlimited VRAM.
So as long as a game doesn't need more than 4 gigs of RAM there is no reason to go 64bit yet.

However, an operating system at 32bit has a maximum of 4 gigs memory total, thats VRAM and system RAM combined. And subtract 512mb of kernel space(wasted memory) and you end up with 3.5 gigs maximum assuming you don't have a video card, if you do, VRAM is subtracted from the system memory. A 1 gig card will leave you with 2.5-3 gigs of RAM. A 3 gig 680 would leave you with less than a gig of system ram. You can't run a game in that little space.

64bit OSs emulate 32bit address spaces for 32bit programs. So each program gets 4 gigs of addressable memory space.

If you have a 4gb GPU, PC explodes?
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#13Ikari GendoPosted 12/18/2013 6:08:06 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Ikari Gendo posted...
Doesn't X-Rebirth require x64? It's hard to tell why since performance sucks so much.

From what I heard its a 32bit exe.
However, the graphics card requirements puts it over the limit of a 32bit OS, so realistically you'd want a 64 bit system.

Ah okay
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
#14Rexdragon125Posted 12/18/2013 6:15:02 AM
There's literally no reason now to not have a 64 bit OS.
#15Love_Me_SexyPosted 12/18/2013 6:34:50 AM
WerdnAndreW posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
We are right on the edge. For the most part, 32bit will give you minimum settings these days.

The executables are still 32bit but they get access to 4 gigs of RAM and unlimited VRAM.
So as long as a game doesn't need more than 4 gigs of RAM there is no reason to go 64bit yet.

However, an operating system at 32bit has a maximum of 4 gigs memory total, thats VRAM and system RAM combined. And subtract 512mb of kernel space(wasted memory) and you end up with 3.5 gigs maximum assuming you don't have a video card, if you do, VRAM is subtracted from the system memory. A 1 gig card will leave you with 2.5-3 gigs of RAM. A 3 gig 680 would leave you with less than a gig of system ram. You can't run a game in that little space.

64bit OSs emulate 32bit address spaces for 32bit programs. So each program gets 4 gigs of addressable memory space.

No, I think they were confused. If you have 3.5gb RAM and a 4gb GPU, you still have 3.5gb RAM.
---
Intel 4670k\\MSI G45 + 760 4GB\\Kingston HyperX 8GB RAM + 240GB SSD\\Thermaltake 1200w PSU
PC Wishlist: 27" GSync, 4TB HDD, KB
#16clowningPosted 12/18/2013 6:36:07 AM
You should make the move to 64 bit OS. More games are using 64 bit, and within a year or so, most games will require it. GalCiv 3, for example, is a 64 bit game.

Besides, 64 bit has other advantages, in terms of RAM, HDD sizes (without needing to partition), etc.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#17SinisterSlayPosted 12/18/2013 7:38:17 AM
Love_Me_Sexy posted...
WerdnAndreW posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

No, I think they were confused. If you have 3.5gb RAM and a 4gb GPU, you still have 3.5gb RAM.

Never tried, it might just not boot, or it might stop seeing video memory at some point.

Also, it seems I misread how the memory works.
But I found an interesting post that covers it better

There's a "theft" of physical RAM addresses that are destined to physical access of VRAM from the CPU. In 32 bit systems these addresses are under the 4 GB boundary and cannot be used any more to address the ordinary physical memory they'd point, because the hw would use VRAM (or memory from other peripheral) instead of RAM. This reduces the amount of RAM usable. If you have 2x2GB, it's as if you only had 2x1.63GB=3.26GB installed (or a similar amount) instead of 4GB.

The amount of physical addresses stolen has not to be the entire memory capacity of the peripherals, because this memory is dynamically mapped through "windows" of addresses. For instance you can address 1GB, 2GB, 3GB or more of VRAM through a 512MB RAM addresses window. If the hw does always use such window size independently of the VRAM size, you won't notice differences in available physical RAM.

Those bits about DX9 vs DX10+ RAM management and others aren't about physical RAM, but about virtual RAM. In a 32bit system each "big" process/thread can get up to 4GB virtual RAM period, this isn't affected by the said theft of physical RAM addresses, or by the fact that you only have 2GB or 1GB of physical RAM installed if it's the case. The total amount of virtual RAM assigned to all processes can exceed the physical RAM available.

There's a "virtual RAM engine" running distributed between hw and OS code. This engine loads, stores and swaps virtual RAM pages between the physical RAM available (that could have been affected by the theft of RAM addresses to address peripherals memory) and the disk swap file. There isn't such thing as "physical RAM assigned to a process/thread/program", only pages dynamically loaded and swapped to disk, although if there's enough physical RAM for everything there won't be a lot of swapping.

In Windows 32bit, the maximum 4GB of virtual RAM assigned to each process is divided between the lower 2GB assigned to the process itself (user space) and the upper 2GB assigned for OS things. This distribution is an additional constraint.

Source: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33987164
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#18fuzzymanPosted 12/18/2013 7:47:24 AM
Crysis was the first 64-bit game

you just didn't hear a lot of bickering about it 'cuz nobody had the system then to utilize it

Pretty sure BF4 requires it
---
dude http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg bro
#19chase1234lifePosted 12/18/2013 9:47:46 AM
The cranky hermit posted...
If however you mean a 64-bit operating system (which is what I'm assuming), then no. And no.

The second "no" seems to be implying that we should still stick to 32-bit OS's. If you were going to buy Win7 or later, why wouldn't you get the 64-bit version? The only reason I can think of is 16-bit compatibility, which you can get with DOSBox, and I don't think 32-bit Win7 works with 16-bit games anyway.

It's pretty much the same as 4 core CPU requirement. As long as 32 bit is still prevalent and can offer great playability there is no reason to require 64 bit/4cores. Now, when 64 bit/4core are the standards for even non gaming computers, then it should be requried/standard.

This is coming from someone running 64 bit/4core.

Bassically, we're just a couple years away. Should it be done? Yes. Should it be done today at the time of this post? No.

Adoption takes a little bit, and as we still have gamers that run on XP at full capacity, there's no reason to force it quite yet.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/chasewolf
J.O.B. Squad 4 life
#20ghostwarrior79Posted 12/18/2013 10:12:47 AM
64 bit= a face melting 192 gb of RAM (that's the max it can go)

32 bit= 4 gb of RAM (yep)

BUT, drivers for 64 bit are kinda hard to find...
---
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior! BATTLEFIELD 3 has offline Multiplayer with/against Ai bots on ALL maps and modes! (stock and dlc)