This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Baldur's Gate: EE worth the money?

#1Omnipotent_CowPosted 12/17/2013 7:59:43 PM
On a sale obviously, I'm not stupid. I already have the originals and a hankering to replay them, but is what's added worth waiting for said sale?
#2BendoHendoPosted 12/17/2013 8:47:53 PM
I played the BG:EE and it was buggy, but there were no game-breaking bugs fortunately. The new NPC Dorn is pretty bad-ass.

I've never played the original, but I hear from the community the best thing to do is to mod the original and it's as good or better than the EE.

Or just wait until the 19th and it will likely be $5 again on the Steam sale.

--
#3Arsene-LupinPosted 12/17/2013 8:57:38 PM
Yes, it's worth every penny.

Unless you're still gaming on an 800x600 display.

It was buggy at launch, but is pretty much bug-free now. The only "problem" with it is that one or two of the most popular mods aren't compatible with it yet.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#4Omnipotent_Cow(Topic Creator)Posted 12/17/2013 9:03:11 PM
And what mods would those be?
#5CatToyPosted 12/17/2013 9:21:59 PM
I thought it was worth it, especially since it goes on sale for 5 bucks. No compatibility problems like the original version has, even properly modded.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#6Arsene-LupinPosted 12/17/2013 9:41:03 PM
Omnipotent_Cow posted...
And what mods would those be?

NPC project is the big one. It injects BG2-style intra-party banter. It was a collaborative project and therefore of wildly inconsistent quality.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#7Omnipotent_Cow(Topic Creator)Posted 12/17/2013 9:57:14 PM
Hm, I'm not too concerned with fan-made stuff. It'd be nice if shadowkeeper worked with it, though.
#8GynthaeresPosted 12/17/2013 10:15:09 PM
Omnipotent_Cow posted...
Hm, I'm not too concerned with fan-made stuff. It'd be nice if shadowkeeper worked with it, though.

Honestly, I consider the Baldur's Gate NPC Project pretty mandatory. In the vanilla game (at least vanilla BG1, not 100% sure on the EE), NPCs are pretty lifeless. They don't really ever inject anything to the conversation, they don't really say anything specific or meaningful to each other. They're all pretty interchangeable. The BG NPC Project gives them a ton of personality, that still stays true to the original character.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#9Omnipotent_Cow(Topic Creator)Posted 12/17/2013 10:16:44 PM
Reading up on it, that does sound nice, but I'd hardly consider it a deal-breaker.
#10Custers_RevengePosted 12/17/2013 11:41:33 PM
I've heard a lot of fans say that you're better off getting the original game like on GOG or get the discs and then download all the essential mods for it. That's supposed to be a lot better than the enhanced edition.