This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So PewDiePie has a GeForce GTX 460

#51fuzzymanPosted 12/18/2013 7:04:22 PM
If I was reading a review of a PC game and they actually talked about the specs in their PC to play the game, I'd much prefer it be a couple year's old average rig. It provides a realistic approach to reviewing PC games in that sense.
---
dude http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg bro
#52smifypzPosted 12/18/2013 7:05:21 PM
Slayn posted...
ATARIJAWA posted...
Mogu_Mogu posted...
To be honest, a GTX 460 is still playing games at 60+ fps pretty solidly. Dunno what you're all whining about.

And yeah, the 7850 is better than the 460. How much? I can't say for sore. Varies from benchmark to benchmark. lol

Well the guy is supposedly a millionaire. He has a second house in Italy. You would think he could afford better,

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/celebrity/the-25-highest-earning-youtube-stars/

Add a few million to that. If this is going by channel views, then Smosh has over 2 billion versus the 818 million shown here, and Pewdiepie has almost 18 million subscribers, so he is making a lot more than that.
---
3DS FC: 2105- 9580- 9704 PSN: tennislover3195 Steam:LunarFantasy
Official Feraligatr of the Pokemon X board
#53arleasPosted 12/18/2013 7:05:51 PM
LPs,Piedieies in particular, are not reviews so they don't fall into that, he isn't reporting relevant news on anything, he's not doing some kind of college term paper, he isn't parodying it, and it's not eductional or nonprofit like a game guide or speed run. He falls into none of the uses and therefor has no legal right to use copyright without permission.

Didn't someone say he was part of some "network"? If so, how do you know they didn't secure the permission for him? If his stuff hasn't been taken down in this new era of aggressive content ID, then surely he must have the proper permission to use the games he's using. Also, in the case of indie games, I'm sure those devs are more than happy to have him advertising their game and getting exposure for them.

Youtube has already explained that most of the content ID matches are for music and prerendered cutscenes. That could also explain why TB hasn't really been affected. He always turns the music down if there's a question of copyright, and I don't think I've ever seen him boot up a game and show a cutscene either.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#54Saga3Posted 12/18/2013 7:07:29 PM
arleas posted...
LPs,Piedieies in particular, are not reviews so they don't fall into that, he isn't reporting relevant news on anything, he's not doing some kind of college term paper, he isn't parodying it, and it's not eductional or nonprofit like a game guide or speed run. He falls into none of the uses and therefor has no legal right to use copyright without permission.

Didn't someone say he was part of some "network"? If so, how do you know they didn't secure the permission for him? If his stuff hasn't been taken down in this new era of aggressive content ID, then surely he must have the proper permission to use the games he's using. Also, in the case of indie games, I'm sure those devs are more than happy to have him advertising their game and getting exposure for them.

Youtube has already explained that most of the content ID matches are for music and prerendered cutscenes. That could also explain why TB hasn't really been affected. He always turns the music down if there's a question of copyright, and I don't think I've ever seen him boot up a game and show a cutscene either.

TB hasn't been hit with them because he himself is part of a network. He said this himself in a podcast with Sessler/
#55R i c kPosted 12/18/2013 7:27:25 PM(edited)
SUPER3METROIDX posted...
Yeah and skateboards are copyrighted. You think selling stunt videos is illegal unless you build your own skateboard from wood you harvest yourself?
What about if my friends and I start an amateur football league? If we sell tickets would that be illegal unless we raise our own pigs, slaughter them, tan their skin and sew our own footballs?

The game is a tool, a toy, a platform for which LP'ers to entertain. You can sort of make a case for cutscenes and you can certainly make a case for licensed music but the actual gameplay is created by the player.

Even putting aside all that, nearly all game devs/pubs are aware of LP'ers, are aware that it's basically free advertising for them and they're openly ok with LP'ers monetizing their work. Not all but nearly all.

Saga3 posted...
TB hasn't been hit with them because he himself is part of a network. He said this himself in a podcast with Sessler/
To be more clear, TB is part of a managed network. Previously, all networks were "managed" which basically means the network takes care of making sure copyrighted material isn't uploaded. The new system has split networks into two types: managed and affiliate. Managed are the same as before but under the new system a copyright strike against a networked channel counts toward the network as well so most networks switched to affiliate channels which means they aren't responsible if the channel uploads copyrighted material. Affiliate channels have to go through the content ID system just like non-networked channels. Only very big, very trusted channels like TB's ended up scoring a managed network position.

---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Featuring APB: Reloaded & Hearthstone! Game giveaways with each new vid!
#56KabtheMentatPosted 12/18/2013 7:26:57 PM(edited)
It's all a moot point, because many of the publishers (copyright holders) have given their expressed permission to use their stuff in various ways. LPs being one of the accepted ways.

So arguing about "OH THIS GUY IS BREAKING THE LAW!!" No...he's not. He's following it just fine. And even if they didn't have permission, there's a strong case to be made they could still do what they do...in the US at least. Other countries have super draconian intellectual property laws, like Germany for example.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#57ThunderPotatoPosted 12/18/2013 7:28:28 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
SUPER3METROIDX posted...
Piediepie is #2 on that list and his earnings are completely illegal and unjustified. It doesn't matter how much work he did, stealing is stealing. He got lucky and gamed the system.

Jealousy is ugly.

So is ignorance.
---
I love you.
#58TearsfoUniversePosted 12/18/2013 7:40:11 PM
Slayn posted...
ATARIJAWA posted...
Mogu_Mogu posted...
To be honest, a GTX 460 is still playing games at 60+ fps pretty solidly. Dunno what you're all whining about.

And yeah, the 7850 is better than the 460. How much? I can't say for sore. Varies from benchmark to benchmark. lol

Well the guy is supposedly a millionaire. He has a second house in Italy. You would think he could afford better,

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/celebrity/the-25-highest-earning-youtube-stars/

I hope everyone notices this numbers are back from may and pewdie has over 3 billion views now
---
Completed Nuzlocke, Fire Red. Pokemon: Charizard, Shiny Tangela, Venomoth, Zapdos. RIP Gyarados, Hitmonchan
#59SlaynPosted 12/18/2013 7:42:07 PM
TearsfoUniverse posted...
Slayn posted...
ATARIJAWA posted...
Mogu_Mogu posted...

I hope everyone notices this numbers are back from may and pewdie has over 3 billion views now

That... doesn't really effect this topic in any way shape of form.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#60TearsfoUniversePosted 12/18/2013 7:46:45 PM
Slayn posted...
TearsfoUniverse posted...
Slayn posted...
ATARIJAWA posted...
Mogu_Mogu posted...

That... doesn't really effect this topic in any way shape of form.

it kinda does that he does have more money and also this list is slighty different
---
Completed Nuzlocke, Fire Red. Pokemon: Charizard, Shiny Tangela, Venomoth, Zapdos. RIP Gyarados, Hitmonchan