This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can't boot into Windows 7. Suggestions?

#1PrinterscapePosted 12/18/2013 8:57:05 AM
Specs:
Motherboard - ASRock X58 Extreme3
CPU - Intel i7 950
GPU - NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
RAM - 3 sticks of 2gb Patriot DDR3 1333
PSU - 580W Coolmax
HDD - WD Caviar 1TB

Issue:
This computer has not been booted up since early November, where it was reported to be very slow running.

I tried turning it on now, and it just gives a blue screen after loading Windows.

Troubleshooting Steps:
-Reset BIOS to default.
-Start Windows Recovery; auto recovery failed.
-Tried System Restore of up to three previous versions; each one failed.
-Put this HDD in another working computer, it boots just fine. Indicates that it might be a hardware problem in the PC, and not software/HDD.
-Ran Memtest86; it passed.

What more troubleshooting steps can I do, to determine if it's the GPU or the motherboard (those are the only things that can f*** up at this point, right?)?
#2Printerscape(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2013 10:17:32 AM
I ran Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, and it seems alright... what could be the problem?
#3PraetorXynPosted 12/18/2013 10:23:23 AM
1. Put the components into a machine you know works; if you're lucky you might find which one it is.
2. Clear CMOS on the motherboard.
3. See if there's a BIOS update for your motherboard, and flash that if there is.
4. If none of that works, format the harddrive (not a quick format, a full one to check for disk errors) and reinstall Windows.

Nothing else comes to mind really. I'd test components in this order:
1. RAM
2. GPU
3. PSU

If none of that works, it would be a hardware problem with either the CPU or the motherboard. At that point you're better off building a new PC than replacing one or both of those components.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#4Printerscape(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2013 10:30:52 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
1. Put the components into a machine you know works; if you're lucky you might find which one it is.
2. Clear CMOS on the motherboard.
3. See if there's a BIOS update for your motherboard, and flash that if there is.
4. If none of that works, format the harddrive (not a quick format, a full one to check for disk errors) and reinstall Windows.

Nothing else comes to mind really. I'd test components in this order:
1. RAM
2. GPU
3. PSU

If none of that works, it would be a hardware problem with either the CPU or the motherboard. At that point you're better off building a new PC than replacing one or both of those components.

Thank you.

I tried the HDD and the GPU; they both work fine in an identical computer. I cleared CMOS (removing the battery, and moving the clip to "CLEAR CMOS", then back to "NORMAL"), went into BIOS to only update the time (everything else set to default).

I do not have the option to format the harddrive, as the user does not want this. The harddrive from the defective computer (Computer A) works on another computer (Computer B). I put the original harddrive from B to A, and it still doesn't boot. Both A and B harddrives boot in B.

I checked for RAM using MEMTEST; it passed twice passes. GPU card, I removed for diagnostics (but it works on B). How would I test for PSU?
#5DXMGPosted 12/18/2013 11:50:00 AM
Same way you test anything - put it in a rig that works.

Also, re-seat the motherboard. Just take it out and put it right back in.... I cant tell you how many random, seemingly no-cause issues I have "fixed" with this over the years.
---
Medic!
#6betatechPosted 12/18/2013 12:08:33 PM
what is the actual BSOD? you may need to disable automatic restart using F8.
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#7LootmanPosted 12/18/2013 12:11:42 PM
put the HDD into another computer

transfer files to external HDD

format HDD and reinstall windows

transfer files from external HDD to original one.
---
\(._.)/ Hi, my name is Lootman.
._.)/ http://i.imgur.com/KyOOLwU.jpg