This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any reason to buy a PC monitor over a TV?

#1Arsene-LupinPosted 12/18/2013 9:05:56 AM
To hook up to a computer? It seems you can get a bigger TV with the same basic screen properties (resolution, refresh rate, etc.) for a lot less money. Well, I guess pixel density would decrease with larger screens, but other than diminishing DPI with larger screens is there any reason to spend more money on a smaller PC monitor instead of less money on a bigger TV?
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#2KabtheMentatPosted 12/18/2013 9:07:54 AM
A lot of TVs have bad input lag going on.

Makes playing any kind of adversarial FPS next to impossible.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#3Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2013 9:16:53 AM
I'd be getting it for my mother, whose monitor broke. I think the only games she plays are Bejeweled and Solitaire. How bad is the input lag? Would it be distracting with productivity software for things like word processing, outlook, etc?
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#4PraetorXynPosted 12/18/2013 9:29:33 AM
Monitors will almost always have better picture quality, I'd consider that the biggest reason. The specs are also more honest (TV's that say 200+ Hz are generally BS, etc).
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#5Majoras_pantsPosted 12/18/2013 9:31:39 AM
I mostly game on my TV, but a monitor will have a better picture quality and higher resolutions if you feel like paying more.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#6SlaynPosted 12/18/2013 12:36:52 PM
I switched from a 37" 1080p to a 27" 1440p. It also runs at 120hz ( even though I don't bother ). It looks way better than the TV. It's smooth like butter if I bother with 120hz. Since the monitor is slightly closer, the viewing size ( or whatever it is called ) is the same. I actually put the monitor in front of the tv, where I sit, the edges of the monitor are at the same edges of the tv.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#7GoIrish80Posted 12/18/2013 12:40:50 PM
I'm going to guess your mother really isn't going to care as long as it turns on and works.

You could get a 24" monitor for like $160. What's wrong with that.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#8ArkonBladePosted 12/18/2013 1:06:14 PM
If you want to run higher then 1080p and don't want to spend a ungodly amount of money on a 4k TV and you like sitting at a desk playing your games sure monitor is way to go. I prefer sitting in my big comfy recliner or sometimes layin back on my couch and gaming so TV it is for me. I have a 47" 3d TV but with TV prices falling to cheaper and cheaper prices now. think I am just going to upgrade to a 60" 120hrz tv. my 3d tv is only 60hrz any ways so kinda want a 120. It looks so much better.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#9PhilOnDezPosted 12/18/2013 1:13:40 PM
I paid $150 for a 19" 720p tv (I think it has a tn panel) and $160 for a 24" 1080p monitor (definitely IPS). The monitor blows the tv out of the water for nearly the same price. Unless you need the tv tuner or some other feature that the tv might have I'd just go with the monitor unless you're going bigger than 27". After that monitors lose their edge since they start to cost a lot more. If you just have an old tv laying around that you want to give her it shouldn't be a problem though.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#10SuigintouEVPosted 12/23/2013 9:30:07 AM
Even the best IPS pc monitors don't match up in PQ to a proper front projection setup or a mid-high end plasma tv.

But LCD vs LCd, pc monitors all the way and plasmas are a bad idea for static images like OS desktops. The 27" IPS Zero-G is awesome on that front.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II