This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I be skeptical/weary of a free "Smart Router" offered by my ISP?

#11Erik212Posted 12/18/2013 1:24:38 PM
Hmm Time Warner where I live gives out Motorola SBG6580 Surfboards which are pretty solid and $120 on Amazon. Of course, a high quality router can run over $200...
---
Another idea I had was the spy/sniper being able to climb into the soldier's rocket launcher and be launched across the map, dealing more damage, but no splash.
#121337toothbrushPosted 12/18/2013 2:03:48 PM
I'm weary of any product with "smart" in its name.
---
------------
http://i.imgur.com/ZkQRDsR.png
#13bravo1Posted 12/18/2013 2:57:40 PM
Slayn posted...
bravo1 posted...
Well, yeah. If they cared enough they could totally see that before. What you should be wary of is the quality of the router they'll send you. Most of the time, the routers sent by ISPs are absolute garbage. Verizon's isn't bad, but good luck if you have Time Warner or Cablevision.

At least when I had TWC, they sent out a separate modem and router. Threw away that garbage. My ATT on the other hand...

Time Warner's modem/router combination is an absolute travesty of hardware. If you subscribe to a higher tier of service, they force their garbage modem/router combination of you. So, not only are you paying more for a barely noticable increase in speed, but they charge you out the ass for leasing their awful hardware.

Cablevision/Optimum is hit or miss. If they send you the surfboard, it's better than nothing. Optimum will atleast let you lease a modem, and then use your own router. That's nice, as their two-in-one modem has a range of about 15 feet. However, I can't complain about Cablevision/Optimum as a ISP. Generally speeds close to advertised, customer support isn't a complete nightmare (so long as you're not in NYC proper and have to go to one of their locations) and the fact that they have a healthy dose of competition from Verizon and TWC means they can't screw up completely.

Of course, this is all in my experience. I've lived in a lot of different places, though, and the one thing I can count on is Time Warner being awful.
---
3DS FC: 3952-7065-0089
#14fataliPosted 12/18/2013 3:10:53 PM
Sounds to me like they just want to control how many devices are connected, they are probably trying to limit each account to 1 or 2 devices.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#15El_KazPosted 12/18/2013 3:21:24 PM
Unless you're dissatisfied with your current router (range/signal strength etc.), forget it.
Many ISP will force a modem-router hybrid on you, in which case I recommend putting it in Bridge mode. But if they're giving you a choice... nope.
---
Wait... what?
#16JKatarnPosted 12/18/2013 6:13:05 PM
WyzeGye posted...
*wary

weary = tired

wary = concerned/leery

In TC's defense, I imagine his brain was a bit addled from whacking it so much.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES