This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Surprised no one's talking about how DayZ broke steam

#41Ch3wyPosted 12/19/2013 1:45:29 PM
r0ge00 posted...
bsballa09 posted...
Was talking more about the TV show, but the game is also awesome.

The first season was entertaining. The second season killed it for me. I don't know if I just got sick of it or them being stuck at the farm for-*******-ever just bored me to death.

I've caught a few of the newer episodes when my roommate was watching them and they were just as boring as I remember. It always felt like none of the action was there from the first season so they just ended up talking a lot and making drama happen.

Well the most recent episode was anything but boring.

It did become pretty focused on drama though. I mean most shows do if you have them on for long enough, constant action would just get boring. I still like it though.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#42r0ge00Posted 12/19/2013 1:55:05 PM
bsballa09 posted...
Uh, that's the point. The Walking Dead isn't a zombie show with drama, it's a drama show with zombies. It's about what life is like in a zombie apocalypse, not killing zombies left and right.

The first season led me to believe otherwise.
#43bsballa09Posted 12/19/2013 2:00:54 PM
r0ge00 posted...
bsballa09 posted...
Uh, that's the point. The Walking Dead isn't a zombie show with drama, it's a drama show with zombies. It's about what life is like in a zombie apocalypse, not killing zombies left and right.

The first season led me to believe otherwise.

The first season was also very drama oriented. From Shane and Lori having an affair to Rick taking the leader position from Shane. Every season sees the group becoming more and more domicile and trying to return life back to the way it was before the apocalypse
---
If it wasn't for balla spouting bs over the years my post count would be way lower. It's not that serious - supergamerbret
#44KillerTrufflePosted 12/19/2013 2:02:45 PM
Worknofun370 posted...
The walking dead is nothing like any zombie games out now, and pretty different from most games out period.

To dismiss the game simply because the plot involves zombies would be a shame, and you'd be missing out on a pretty amazing and unique experience.

So what sets it apart and makes it better?

As for the other arguments about judging too quickly, how many times do you figure you have to try examples of something you don't like before you've sampled "enough?"

Think about a food you really dislike. How many times did you have to try it before you decided it wasn't good? How many varieties or variations of it did you try? Did you try every single example of it before you decided it wasn't good, or did it just taste nasty the first time you put it into your mouth?

Call it hasty if you feel like it, but giving several chances to a type of game (and I do consider it a game type if zombies are prominently featured, such as in L4D) and finding none of them interesting is how most everyone forms their opinions.

People praised L4D left and right as an awesome game. I found it entirely underwhelming. People now praise The Walking Dead - a rather obvious zombie reference indicating they are a prominent feature of the game - as an awesome game. Why, after disagreeing with every other zombie movie I've tried that people have recommended, would I expect a different outcome this time than from the previous SIX? How many times do you suggest someone should waste their money and plod through stuff they find to be crap in the off chance that one time they *might* find something they like?
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#45r0ge00Posted 12/19/2013 2:07:23 PM
bsballa09 posted...
The first season was also very drama oriented.

I'm aware there was drama, but there was also a lot more action than what I've seen in the later seasons.
#46Ch3wyPosted 12/19/2013 2:08:18 PM
KillerTruffle posted...

Think about a food you really dislike. How many times did you have to try it before you decided it wasn't good? How many varieties or variations of it did you try? Did you try every single example of it before you decided it wasn't good, or did it just taste nasty the first time you put it into your mouth?

Dude that's probably the absolute worst example you could possibly come up with. Everyone's tastes change in food. Most people hate certain food when they're young, only to like it when they get older.

I don't like olives but the last time I tried them was a month or two ago. I don't blame the olive for me not liking it, I just don't understand it yet.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#47bsballa09Posted 12/19/2013 2:08:23 PM
r0ge00 posted...
bsballa09 posted...
The first season was also very drama oriented.

I'm aware there was drama, but there was also a lot more action than what I've seen in the later seasons.

Because when you live in tents out in the open, you're more prone to zombie attacks than living in a prison
---
If it wasn't for balla spouting bs over the years my post count would be way lower. It's not that serious - supergamerbret
#48r0ge00Posted 12/19/2013 2:15:27 PM
bsballa09 posted...
spoilers

Well, we're getting nowhere now. I don't like the show anymore. You can provide all the reasons you want, but the show I watched in the second season felt very different than what was presented in the first season. I lost interest and haven't felt the need to revisit it other than to confirm that it still doesn't interest me.
#49Worknofun370Posted 12/19/2013 2:20:14 PM(edited)
KillerTruffle posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
The walking dead is nothing like any zombie games out now, and pretty different from most games out period.

To dismiss the game simply because the plot involves zombies would be a shame, and you'd be missing out on a pretty amazing and unique experience.

So what sets it apart and makes it better?

It's not really a zombie game but more of an... interactive television show based on your decisions. I found it to be extremely enjoyable and a very different style of game. I loved the art direction in the game, the story was outstanding, and it's a game that keeps you on your toes without being a "gotcha" game.

It's NOT a horror game or a zombie game, that's for sure.

EDIT: Also, I'm not saying that you don't have a valid reason for dismissing "zombie games." I'm just saying you're very likely missing out on some good titles if you avoid them simple because they have zombies.

If that makes sense.
#50KillerTrufflePosted 12/19/2013 2:18:00 PM
Ch3wy posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

Dude that's probably the absolute worst example you could possibly come up with. Everyone's tastes change in food. Most people hate certain food when they're young, only to like it when they get older.

I don't like olives but the last time I tried them was a month or two ago. I don't blame the olive for me not liking it, I just don't understand it yet.

_

I don't care of tastes change. Tastes in movies change over time too. Taste in anything can change over time. That is entirely irrelevant to the question.

It's pretty amazing how so many people can feel personally offended that someone might not like something they do. I like olives. Black olives are meh, but green olives are tasty, and kalamata olives are awesome. I'm not going to press you to find out if you've actually tried every single type of olive tho and claim you're jumping to conclusions too fast. So you don't like olives... OK. There's no problem there. Just like there *should* be no problem with me not enjoying zombie-oriented games.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23