This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Surprised no one's talking about how DayZ broke steam

#71KillerTrufflePosted 12/19/2013 6:51:53 PM
That still doesn't address why it's supposedly a "waste" to kill them...

But OK. They travel in hordes. Explosives should help mitigate that rather easily - and I'm not even talking military grade anything. Homemade explosives with shrapnel made from whatever can do a pretty solid job too - especially if the zombies are packed as tightly together as they tend to be in most movies/shows/games. At the very least, they'll immobilize them enough to let you finish off those that are left with bullets. Or heck... flesh burns. Douse the whole crowd with an accelerant and light them up.

Seriously... there are so many ways to avoid and/or eliminate zombies, they just don't come across as a serious, believable threat to the extent games and movies make them out to be. I have *never* understood the appeal of them.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#72bsballa09Posted 12/19/2013 7:17:11 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
That still doesn't address why it's supposedly a "waste" to kill them...

But OK. They travel in hordes. Explosives should help mitigate that rather easily - and I'm not even talking military grade anything. Homemade explosives with shrapnel made from whatever can do a pretty solid job too - especially if the zombies are packed as tightly together as they tend to be in most movies/shows/games. At the very least, they'll immobilize them enough to let you finish off those that are left with bullets. Or heck... flesh burns. Douse the whole crowd with an accelerant and light them up.

And waste valuable fuel/gas in making those bombs? It's not exactly like oil and natural gas is still being pumped in the apocalypse.
---
If it wasn't for balla spouting bs over the years my post count would be way lower. It's not that serious - supergamerbret
#73KillerTrufflePosted 12/19/2013 7:26:56 PM
Red Herring. Humanity survived for millenia without gasoline or oil. They could figure it out again if they had to. Gasoline doesn't last indefinitely anyway - the longer it sits, the more it breaks down, until it won't run anything anyway.

You deal with the most pressing issue first and go from there. Hierarchy of needs and all that. If you eliminate the immediate threat to your life from zombies, sure you might use up your fuel and limit the speed you can travel at, but you will also have a safer environment for anything else, and can spend time planting and growing food, hunting/gathering, etc. You can also hunt without firearms.

Humans are incredibly adaptable and resourceful. I see absolutely no reason a "zombie plague" outbreak like that couldn't be handled.
---
#74bsballa09Posted 12/19/2013 7:31:43 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Red Herring. Humanity survived for millenia without gasoline or oil. They could figure it out again if they had to. Gasoline doesn't last indefinitely anyway - the longer it sits, the more it breaks down, until it won't run anything anyway.

You deal with the most pressing issue first and go from there. Hierarchy of needs and all that. If you eliminate the immediate threat to your life from zombies, sure you might use up your fuel and limit the speed you can travel at, but you will also have a safer environment for anything else, and can spend time planting and growing food, hunting/gathering, etc. You can also hunt without firearms.

Humans are incredibly adaptable and resourceful. I see absolutely no reason a "zombie plague" outbreak like that couldn't be handled.

I don't think you understand what a red herring is. Also, using gasoline to kill zombies or use it for heating, medicine, cars, cooking, etc. Choose.
---
If it wasn't for balla spouting bs over the years my post count would be way lower. It's not that serious - supergamerbret
#75KillerTrufflePosted 12/19/2013 7:47:55 PM
Gasoline is not very good medicine, other things (i.e. wood) burn, etc. I would personally choose eliminating the zombie threat over doing something you can do with other resources. Again, the zombie threat would be the most pressing danger after food and water, so deal with it first.

Plus, gasoline was only a suggestion for fire. You can also use any flammable liquid tho. And explosives can be made from common household chemicals, no gasoline or anything required.

Like I said... resourcefulness. It almost feels like you're approaching the concept of zombies from the very narrow perspective of an adventure game designer or something - "you need this ONE item, but you have to choose which way you want to use it. You cannot improvise something that would be equally effective from anything else - you MUST use this item. Choose." That's the same hole so many games and movies and stuff fall into, and it's just ridiculous.

Imagining that it would even get to that extent isn't terribly realistic - zombies can't penetrate armored vehicles and stuff, and even if you don't have ammo, you can just run the things over. Squashed dead. It's not like they're especially agile (except in World War Z, but yeah... ).

Seriously... zombie hordes just don't scare me. Maybe if I was the *only* survivor against the other 7 billion in the world being zombies... but I didn't really get into I Am Legend either. As an enemy, they're one of the weakest and least interesting in my opinion, and games or movies that use them as the primary antagonist are entirely uninteresting to me.
---
#76El_KazPosted 12/19/2013 9:49:22 PM(edited)
CardigansFan posted...
http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/heres-why-the-walking-dead-doesnt-make-any-damn-sense

The 99% seems really arbitrary, and not especially "generous". Could easily be 99.9%.
Distribution in groups of ~20 is also extremely arbitrary. Most of the survivors could be grouped in very large numbers, in genuine safe havens where most of them would kill ~0 zombie/month.
Plus, it only considers survivors killing zombies and not zombies killing survivors (which then become zombies). Some of the groups could get wiped out on a monthly basis, reducing the global zombie kill rate every time.
So pretty s***ty model overall.

If you want to talk about nonsense, you might as well start with the gif on that page: http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2013-11/enhanced/webdr05/14/11/anigif_enhanced-buzz-15960-1384446145-4.gif
MRIs don't have anywhere near the temporal resolution to show something like this. Someone moving like this in an MRI would just produce a messy blur. And that zombie was actually SHOT in the MRI. There's no way you'd be able to hold on to a gun in a MRI room to shoot what's inside... within a few feet it would fly off your hands and get stuck to the magnet (source, because why not: http://patientsafetyauthority.org/ADVISORIES/AdvisoryLibrary/2009/Jun6%282%29/Pages/56.aspx).
Now THAT's bona fide nonsense >_>
---
Wait... what?
#77arleasPosted 12/19/2013 9:53:14 PM
Black olives are meh, but green olives are tasty, and kalamata olives are awesome.

Black olives are good on pizza... green olives are good on almost everything... I've never had Kalamata olives.. I had to look them up.

Now if Olives were actually put in everything I might get tired of them. Sorta like how I'm kinda tired of seeing zombies put in every game.... In a way I was relieved when they made that special TF2 mode to be robots instead of zombies.... They really could have reskinned everything as zombies and the game would be about the same except for the aesthetics.

For what it's worth... the last zombie game I REALLY enjoyed was Plants vs Zombies...
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#78ThePCElitistPosted 12/20/2013 5:48:21 PM
Has anyone had issues with people combat logging on you? I encountered this guy not long ago that was armed with an axe and I fired at him and as soon as I pulled the trigger he vanished. It doesn't matter though because I saw 3 bullets connect as he was logging out for a second so when he server hops he'll most likely be dead anyway.

I don't usually kill on sight but screw it. I've been a Hero in DayZ for too long and I've been player killed more than enough times in my days.
---
Server PC:
Xeon E5-2630, Gigabyte X79-UD3, 16 GB's CORSAIR Vengeance LP 1600mhz, Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB (x2), Seagate 4TB 7,200 rpm hdd, Corsair RM650
#79codyorrPosted 12/20/2013 6:23:50 PM
After they removed single player I stopped caring about DayZ. I'll stick with things for the people like me left out of the broadband world. AKA almost nothing.