This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

esports not a real sport?

#31Ikari GendoPosted 12/18/2013 8:31:23 PM
Chess isn't an olympic sport, however it is recognized as a sport by the IOC.

I'm not saying their word is final, but it has weight.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
#32YOeastonYOPosted 12/18/2013 8:32:02 PM
There's not such thing as a "pro" video game player. Sorry.

That's like saying Sylvia Brown was a real psychic.
---
FX-9590 | Antec Kuhler h2o 1220 | ASUS 7970 | ROG Crosshair V | Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD | ROG Raidr | Antec TPQ-1200 | Antec DF-85 | AMD Radeon RG2133 |
#33Orestes417Posted 12/18/2013 8:34:30 PM
Ikari Gendo posted...

Wrestling isn't an Olympic sport anymore either.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#34Ikari GendoPosted 12/18/2013 9:40:04 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Ikari Gendo posted...

Wrestling isn't an Olympic sport anymore either.

Nor baseball for that matter. They were pretty close to ending softball until China beat the US in Beijing (IIRC)
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
#35JKatarnPosted 12/18/2013 9:46:34 PM
Boge posted...
A sport has athletes. Athletes are physical competitors. Video gaming is not physical. Video gaming is not a sport. It's one of the most stupid things humans have done this generation is to dub competitive video gaming a sport. Is Chess a sport?

</endthread>

I have an extremely minimal interest in sports, and even I recognize that it's an insult to athletes everywhere to consider professional gamers "athletes" - true professional athletes spend untold hours running drills, going through rigorous cardiovascular and weight-training routines etc. which is a far far cry from sitting on your ass in front of a monitor for untold hours clicking a mouse and monitoring your APMs. Yes video-games are fun, yes they can be beneficial and many do require good hand-eye coordination and mental sharpness to be competitive in higher level play, but they don't require nearly the training, hard work and sacrifice required to pursue/maintain a position on a professional sports team.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#36ClouddxPosted 12/18/2013 9:50:17 PM(edited)
JKatarn posted...
Boge posted...
A sport has athletes. Athletes are physical competitors. Video gaming is not physical. Video gaming is not a sport. It's one of the most stupid things humans have done this generation is to dub competitive video gaming a sport. Is Chess a sport?

</endthread>

I have an extremely minimal interest in sports, and even I recognize that it's an insult to athletes everywhere to consider professional gamers "athletes" - true professional athletes spend untold hours running drills, going through rigorous cardiovascular and weight-training routines etc. which is a far far cry from sitting on your ass in front of a monitor for untold hours clicking a mouse and monitoring your APMs. Yes video-games are fun, yes they can be beneficial and many do require good hand-eye coordination and mental sharpness to be competitive in higher level play, but they don't require nearly the training, hard work and sacrifice required to pursue/maintain a position on a professional sports team.

Yeh really man? Why isn't working out your BRAIN considered athletic? Also professional gamers like the people on NiP or Verygames require a ton of work, you should ask them how many hours a day they sit there like football players and study the other teams that they're gonna be facing, or how many hours a week they practice. Guess what, it's a full time job as a sports athlete.

They prob put more hours into just watching and creating strategies than you working a full time job.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 470 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#37my_name_is_EdPosted 12/18/2013 11:46:46 PM
Clouddx posted...
JKatarn posted...
Boge posted...

</endthread>

Yeh really man? Why isn't working out your BRAIN considered athletic? Also professional gamers like the people on NiP or Verygames require a ton of work, you should ask them how many hours a day they sit there like football players and study the other teams that they're gonna be facing, or how many hours a week they practice. Guess what, it's a full time job as a sports athlete.

They prob put more hours into just watching and creating strategies than you working a full time job.

dontcha know? it's only a sport if it requires Physical prowess. Dextrous and Mental prowess mean squat in a world full of meatheads
---
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png
#38ChromaticAngelPosted 12/19/2013 12:10:18 AM
urtv posted...
so is sex considered a sport with all the physical effort required?

sex is actually a spectator sport
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#39spanishbobPosted 12/19/2013 3:42:34 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
WyzeGye posted...
have you ever tried uphill bobsledding?

that's a man's sport.

lol. WTF?!? Does that exist?

Uhhh...

*Picardfacepalm*
#40DaedalusExPosted 12/19/2013 4:14:41 AM
Clouddx posted...
Why isn't working out your BRAIN considered athletic?

You know, when you put it this way I have to wonder if the stigma attached to esports is related to the stigma attached to mental illness.