This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it wise to stack USB splitters?

#1chickenlardPosted 12/18/2013 1:40:56 PM
I have a computer with only 2 USB ports, I wanted to get 3 splitters so I can have 12 ports, but that would require me having to plug in another splitter on top of another splitter, is there any risk in doing so? Could my computer blow up?
#2Rolen47Posted 12/18/2013 1:55:19 PM
The more USB hubs you have daisy chained, the less power each port will have and the slower each port will be. If you really need to do it make sure you get a USB hub that has an external AC adapter that you can plug in to get more power.
#3wizardmonPosted 12/18/2013 2:06:24 PM(edited)
At that point you might as well go buy a USB3 card to plug into your motherboard.

To add on Rolen's post, if your going to be getting powered USB hubs make sure you get the ones that actually pass certifications such as this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KY5JA8
Cheap knockoffs don't actually give out their rated amps or in rare cases can cause fire/damage components.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#4SinisterSlayPosted 12/18/2013 2:00:53 PM
In addition to what the others said, you can have 127 USB devices at once :D
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#5chickenlard(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2013 2:14:47 PM
wizardmon posted...
At that point you might as well go buy a USB3 card to plug into your motherboard.

To add on Rolen's post, if your going to be getting powered USB hubs make sure you get the ones that actually pass certifications such as this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KY5JA8
Cheap knockoffs don't actually give out their rated amps or in rare cases can cause fire/damage components.

oh no, I bought this one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWF5U0M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And i can't take it back.
#6wizardmonPosted 12/18/2013 4:17:25 PM
^
Basically, expect to only be plugging flash drives into that - don't try to charge a iPad or Cell Phone/MP3 player with it.

Those 'Power' buttons are a completely useless gimmick too, USB plugs that aren't plugged in aren't using power anyways. That's not even a powered hub so I've no idea what those buttons even do on that thing other then confuse people.
---
#7SlaynPosted 12/18/2013 5:14:44 PM
wizardmon posted...
^
Basically, expect to only be plugging flash drives into that - don't try to charge a iPad or Cell Phone/MP3 player with it.

Those 'Power' buttons are a completely useless gimmick too, USB plugs that aren't plugged in aren't using power anyways. That's not even a powered hub so I've no idea what those buttons even do on that thing other then confuse people.

LOL right? Seems pretty dumb.

Anyway, you can't add a USB card to the computer? I highly recommend it.... and what computer made in the past 15 years has 2 USB ports? Are you sure? Most computers have 2 just in the front, let along an extra 4-8 in the back.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#8wizardmonPosted 12/18/2013 5:22:30 PM
Slayn posted...
and what computer made in the past 15 years has 2 USB ports? Are you sure? Most computers have 2 just in the front, let along an extra 4-8 in the back.

Could be a laptop/netbook or something. TC didn't specify.
---
#9chickenlard(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2013 5:00:06 AM
wizardmon posted...
Slayn posted...
and what computer made in the past 15 years has 2 USB ports? Are you sure? Most computers have 2 just in the front, let along an extra 4-8 in the back.

Could be a laptop/netbook or something. TC didn't specify.

Yes, I am using a laptop, to be more specific my laptop had 4 ports in it, but 2 broke so Im down to 2.