This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Think I have a virus ~

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Think I have a virus ~

User Info: ViolentAbacus

ViolentAbacus
3 years ago#1
But I'm not positive. A few days ago my computer just started going REALLY slow. And I don't know why. At first I thought it was because I had too many things downloaded on my computer, but it didn't help so... Yeah

I've ran ComboFix1, but don't know how to read the log. I'm about to run a quick Malewarebytes Scan, but is there any other programs you think I should run? Or can you read the combofix log?
While you bask in my glory, please try not to make me angry by writing words that don't exist in dictionaries.

User Info: el_tercer_poder

el_tercer_poder
3 years ago#2
Really slow, you say?
Tried checking if anything needed an update (mostly on the flash-side of things)?
How about defragging your hard-drive, and see if it runs better?

As for what else to use in case it's a virus...AVAST, MSE, Avira, among others might help (AVAST has a routine so it can analyze your PC before the OS starts).

Aside from that...it could also be a hardware thing.
"Many of you feel bad for this lamp...That is because you're crazy.
It has no feelings! And the new one is much better." (IKEA's Lamp commercial)

User Info: fuzzyman

fuzzyman
3 years ago#3
all that pr0n

try malwarebytes

if that doesn't work (idk why)

run hijackthis and look for strange .BHO files
dude http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg bro

ViolentAbacus
3 years ago#4
el_tercer_poder posted...
Really slow, you say?
Tried checking if anything needed an update (mostly on the flash-side of things)?
How about defragging your hard-drive, and see if it runs better?

As for what else to use in case it's a virus...AVAST, MSE, Avira, among others might help (AVAST has a routine so it can analyze your PC before the OS starts).

Aside from that...it could also be a hardware thing.

Eh, a Netgear update thing popped up a day or two ago, but I kinda ignored it because every other time I've clicked it it just says no updates available.

I'm gonna try to defrag after my DnD session, and I'll try Avast. I have MSE right now, but don't really care for it.
While you bask in my glory, please try not to make me angry by writing words that don't exist in dictionaries.

ViolentAbacus
3 years ago#5
What's hijackthis?

User Info: Termin8r

Termin8r
3 years ago#6
ViolentAbacus posted...
What's hijackthis?

Its most common use is for you to run it so that it creates a logfile of your registry and other important mumbo-jumbo that you then show to an expert who examines it to see what's wrong with your system.
http://i.imgur.com/e6zStfw.gif

ViolentAbacus
3 years ago#7
Hmm.. Is anyone here an expert?

User Info: el_tercer_poder

el_tercer_poder
3 years ago#8
You could try the Tech Support sub-forum of this board for experts.
"Many of you feel bad for this lamp...That is because you're crazy.
It has no feelings! And the new one is much better." (IKEA's Lamp commercial)

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 years ago#9
there are some auto log analyzers on the web... basically you upload your log, it runs it through a script and looks for certain things that the community has flagged as bad.... it doesn't always mean that it's a virus or whatever... usually though it's pretty accurate... if someone marks it bad and 50 people mark it as harmless it'll still come up "mostly harmless".

http://www.hijackthis.de/

That's one... You can google for others if you don't like that one.

Usually you can just copy/paste the log but sometimes you can upload it as well...
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png

User Info: rpgian

rpgian
3 years ago#10
You should check whats running in system process and see if anything is gobbling resources up. Also get a program level firewall like comodo and start the process of silencing anything non crucial as it tries to connect as you might have a ton of crap updating/stuck checking for updates or something w/o your knowing.

CCleaner and do a cleaning + registery error fix helps too.

If its slow and you are downloading a crap ton of stuff its just your hard drive bottlenecking and writing takes priority I guess. If you have a second hdd have the dl location there instead of the OS drive if you can. Mine does that sometimes if my download manager is going on top of a bunch of other things all maxing out.

If your getting security warnings/redirects or suspiciousness then yeah get an antivirus. Everyone has a preference to what detects best/easiest to use/etc so its kinda just pick one. Free is as good as paid. Just don't install a stack of them as they often don't play nice with each other and if it is just a resource issue your really just making it a lot worse by doing that.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Think I have a virus ~

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived