This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Think I have a virus ~

#1ViolentAbacusPosted 12/18/2013 2:59:44 PM
But I'm not positive. A few days ago my computer just started going REALLY slow. And I don't know why. At first I thought it was because I had too many things downloaded on my computer, but it didn't help so... Yeah

I've ran ComboFix1, but don't know how to read the log. I'm about to run a quick Malewarebytes Scan, but is there any other programs you think I should run? Or can you read the combofix log?
---
While you bask in my glory, please try not to make me angry by writing words that don't exist in dictionaries.
#2el_tercer_poderPosted 12/18/2013 3:04:17 PM
Really slow, you say?
Tried checking if anything needed an update (mostly on the flash-side of things)?
How about defragging your hard-drive, and see if it runs better?

As for what else to use in case it's a virus...AVAST, MSE, Avira, among others might help (AVAST has a routine so it can analyze your PC before the OS starts).

Aside from that...it could also be a hardware thing.
---
"Many of you feel bad for this lamp...That is because you're crazy.
It has no feelings! And the new one is much better." (IKEA's Lamp commercial)
#3fuzzymanPosted 12/18/2013 3:08:06 PM(edited)
all that pr0n

try malwarebytes

if that doesn't work (idk why)

run hijackthis and look for strange .BHO files
---
dude http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg bro
#4ViolentAbacus(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2013 3:12:43 PM
el_tercer_poder posted...
Really slow, you say?
Tried checking if anything needed an update (mostly on the flash-side of things)?
How about defragging your hard-drive, and see if it runs better?

As for what else to use in case it's a virus...AVAST, MSE, Avira, among others might help (AVAST has a routine so it can analyze your PC before the OS starts).

Aside from that...it could also be a hardware thing.

Eh, a Netgear update thing popped up a day or two ago, but I kinda ignored it because every other time I've clicked it it just says no updates available.

I'm gonna try to defrag after my DnD session, and I'll try Avast. I have MSE right now, but don't really care for it.
---
While you bask in my glory, please try not to make me angry by writing words that don't exist in dictionaries.
#5ViolentAbacus(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2013 3:49:31 PM
What's hijackthis?
---
#6Termin8rPosted 12/18/2013 4:15:07 PM
ViolentAbacus posted...
What's hijackthis?

Its most common use is for you to run it so that it creates a logfile of your registry and other important mumbo-jumbo that you then show to an expert who examines it to see what's wrong with your system.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e6zStfw.gif
#7ViolentAbacus(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2013 4:23:53 PM
Hmm.. Is anyone here an expert?
---
#8el_tercer_poderPosted 12/18/2013 8:44:29 PM
You could try the Tech Support sub-forum of this board for experts.
---
"Many of you feel bad for this lamp...That is because you're crazy.
It has no feelings! And the new one is much better." (IKEA's Lamp commercial)
#9arleasPosted 12/18/2013 9:01:26 PM
there are some auto log analyzers on the web... basically you upload your log, it runs it through a script and looks for certain things that the community has flagged as bad.... it doesn't always mean that it's a virus or whatever... usually though it's pretty accurate... if someone marks it bad and 50 people mark it as harmless it'll still come up "mostly harmless".

http://www.hijackthis.de/

That's one... You can google for others if you don't like that one.

Usually you can just copy/paste the log but sometimes you can upload it as well...
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#10rpgianPosted 12/18/2013 9:47:59 PM
You should check whats running in system process and see if anything is gobbling resources up. Also get a program level firewall like comodo and start the process of silencing anything non crucial as it tries to connect as you might have a ton of crap updating/stuck checking for updates or something w/o your knowing.

CCleaner and do a cleaning + registery error fix helps too.

If its slow and you are downloading a crap ton of stuff its just your hard drive bottlenecking and writing takes priority I guess. If you have a second hdd have the dl location there instead of the OS drive if you can. Mine does that sometimes if my download manager is going on top of a bunch of other things all maxing out.

If your getting security warnings/redirects or suspiciousness then yeah get an antivirus. Everyone has a preference to what detects best/easiest to use/etc so its kinda just pick one. Free is as good as paid. Just don't install a stack of them as they often don't play nice with each other and if it is just a resource issue your really just making it a lot worse by doing that.