This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Installing heatsinks is the bane of my existence

#21arleasPosted 12/18/2013 7:55:09 PM
Recently I had a ton of trouble installing a Thermaltake Frio heatsink/fan (it's freekin HUGE) but I managed ok... the only thing that makes me wonder is if I put enough thermal paste in there. Normally I put the "half grain of rice" in the middle and let the heatsink spread it, but because this thing was so big, I was kinda worried that it might have spread it a little, and then came back off the CPU for a second when I had to flip it over and tighten the screws.

Smaller heatsinks though are no problem, except for those damn pushpins. sometimes it locks into place easily and sometimes it feels like it slips...I much prefer the screws to the the pushpins.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#22Flaktrooper123Posted 12/18/2013 8:16:57 PM
bkkorps posted...
AlleRacing posted...
The Hyper 212 is pretty easy to install. I've done 3 of them so far. Now something massive like the Phanteks TC14PE, that's tough to install unless you have a long, narrow screw driver. And good luck trying to plug in the fan headers after mounting it, better have done that before hand.

when I installed my Phanteks the screwdriver wasnt an issue. there is enough room between the radiators to fit the fairly bulky screwdriver that I used.

the only real issue I had with the Phanteks was the piece of plastic they put on the contact surface. When I first looked at it, I assumed it was just a static sticker (like a window decal) but they actually glued the damn thing down, and with some glue that did not want to come off easily.

At least the bigger noctua heatsinks, like NH-D14 comes with a free screwdriver. The only issue is the two center screws that you have to bolt in about the same time. If you completely screw in just one while leaving the other loose, you will have trouble balancing it up.
#23sonicteam2k1Posted 12/18/2013 8:32:58 PM
wizardmon posted...
It really helped me to have a second pair of arms helping me out.

I don't think I could have installed my 212+ without assistance.

this. I had my buddy hold my cooler while i bolted it on.
---
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games
#24ZingangerPosted 12/18/2013 8:39:10 PM
Whoever said "use paper towel" is trying to get you to destroy your PC.

Don't ever use plain paper towel.
#25Master_BassPosted 12/18/2013 8:45:24 PM
arleas posted...
I am the bone of my CPU
Aluminum is my body and Thermal Paste is my blood
I have created over a thousand PCs
Unknown to Bill Gates, Nor known to Gaben
Have withstood pain to create many Computers
Yet, those hands will never hold anything
So as I pray, unlimited game works.

I chuckled.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#26MonkeymagePosted 12/18/2013 9:12:49 PM
Zinganger posted...
Whoever said "use paper towel" is trying to get you to destroy your PC.

Don't ever use plain paper towel.

Y'ever heard of them thar hyper bowls, son?
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#27ajxhPosted 12/18/2013 11:03:09 PM
I've never had difficulty installing heatsinks. I've installed a stock heatsink, a TRUE, and a NH-D14. All by myself. The trickiest part is laying the heatsink properly to get the paste to spread right and then not unseating the heatsink again by mistake.

I mean, it takes a little forethought and a steady hand, but it's by no means impossible by yourself. Should be easy, even, with a second person.