This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The abject hypocrisy of ignoramus gamers

#1MashYouGoodPosted 12/18/2013 5:36:19 PM
A game called Motor Rock was released recently for PC. It's a clear homage to the SNES / Genesis game Rock n' Roll Racing and, in fact, 'rips off' some of the original game - e.g., of the voice announcer, who's an optional commentary option. Aside from that, the game is a well competent tribute to the original 16-bit game and actually improves on the much-loved formula in a few departments (more on-track racers, physics, destruction, LAN etc).

Now, because this game has made some dubious copyright related decision (such as ripping some of the original commentary), gamer kiddes are up in arms, screaming "YOU'LL BE SUED!!!", "YOU STOLE ACTIVISION'S LICENSE!!" and other similar drivel. See: relevant Steam forum and YouTube videos like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxMajqcff10.

Where the f*** is the consistency, here?? Everyone and sundry that has anything to do with gaming has been screaming blue murder since YouTube / Google started clamping down on copyright. Yet, if a small time company does gamers a favour and gives them a faithful remake to a game all who know the franchise in question have craved for decades, they run to teacher bleating... WTF?!

This must be some kind anti Russia blow-back--perhaps in response to the nation's recent anti gay laws and similar, politically motivated fascism, As I cannot reconcile how something that's GOOD for gamers is being scapegoated when so much of this SOPA-type idiocy HURTS gamers.

Sidebar:
lol at thinking a U.S. company can tell a Russian (or Chinese) company what to do! xD This part of the world literally SUBSISTS on stealing intellectual property rights from the West. See: Lockheed Martin hacks, CSRIO nano tech espionage et al.
#2cody4783Posted 12/18/2013 5:41:55 PM
People make posts like this and yet they still seem surprised why I have no faith in humanity left to lose.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#3wizardmonPosted 12/18/2013 5:44:23 PM
lol
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#4steveboblarryPosted 12/18/2013 5:47:07 PM
cody4783 posted...
People make posts like this and yet they still seem surprised why I have no faith in humanity left to lose.

---
"Why let the modding community do it, when we can sell it to you?"
yours truly, EA.
#5KillerTrufflePosted 12/18/2013 5:50:25 PM
TC, whether you choose to see it or not, there is a difference between lifting content directly from a game without permission and using it in your own commercial game, and showing clips including video and sound from a game along with commentary, review, etc.

In one, you're straight out taking copyrighted content from one game and sticking it in your own. Even if you credit them in the end credits, few people watch the end credits, and they won't be aware this content came from another company. It really is the perfect definition of copyright theft.

In the other, you are quite obviously reviewing or discussing someone else's content, and there's virtually never a question of who made it, considering the game it's from is almost always in the video title.

Maybe read up a bit on Fair Use.

Examples of fair use include commentary, search engines, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship.

A bit less "ignoramusness" on the part of the topic creator might recognize that commentary and criticism (review) are by far the two primary uses of copyrighted content on Youtube, and that ripping content from one game to sell in your own game in no way fits any of those qualifiers.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#6somebody336Posted 12/18/2013 5:52:24 PM
cody4783 posted...

Ur human too though...
---
TBWNN's grumpy old man >:/
#7KillerTrufflePosted 12/18/2013 5:54:48 PM
somebody336 posted...
cody4783 posted...

Ur human too though...

You say that like you know him. Maybe he's a robot. Robots are getting to be pretty convincing at being humans these days, you know... to the point they straight out deny being robots and claim to be real people.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#8DiviDudePosted 12/18/2013 5:56:34 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
somebody336 posted...
cody4783 posted...

Ur human too though...

You say that like you know him. Maybe he's a robot. Robots are getting to be pretty convincing at being humans these days, you know... to the point they straight out deny being robots and claim to be real people.

Hey robots are people too :\
#9MashYouGood(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2013 6:01:01 PM
The game is $7, plebs. It's not some big budget, hyped, AAA title that's clearly designed to rake in money. I'd be surprised if they even make a profit at the end of it, even if it does sell.

The game is clearly made out of a love for the source material and not with the intention of exploiting it. It's like that Terrordrome game (fighting game with classic horror film characters) whose creator was threatened with all sorts of legal BS, when all he wanted was to pay homage to icon horror movies in the form of a fighting game. FASCISM.

The hypocrisy is laughable. On one hand, people winge and moan and cry about all the rubbish rehashes and 90% FPS content in the industry today. On the other, as soon as someone demonstrates a desire to give back to gamers, they act like they're relatives with a trust fund of video game corporation CEO's. Drain bamage.
#10DiviDudePosted 12/18/2013 6:04:09 PM(edited)
MashYouGood posted...
The game is $7, plebs.

Yeah, $7 isn't $0 so your point is still pretty much invalid.