This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can quite easily see why the whole "PC master-race" stuff is actually a thing..

#11Lady UnePosted 12/18/2013 6:30:28 PM
The Glorious PC Master Race is mostly a construct to incite jealousy and rage in those who are either:

A - Insecure about trivial things.

or

B - Prone to place a lot of their self valuation on their technology purchases.
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
Wow. Kenny's a Japanese Princess..
#12BogePosted 12/18/2013 6:30:29 PM
I don't even like people giving credit to consoles for "exclusives". It's not really an advantage over PCs since PCs have exclusives as well. Exclusives become the ONLY reason to own a console once you have a good PC. But if you're deciding on a PC or a console, exclusives isn't really a reason unless you just don't want the PC exclusives vs the specified console exclusives.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#13SlaynPosted 12/18/2013 6:32:56 PM
The real master race has all consoles, but their consoles have dust, because there are only a handful of exclusives worth playing on consoles. Personally I prefer PC+3ds/wii/wiiu. I like the Zelda exclusives, could care less for Sony/Microsoft.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#14Bazooka_PenguinPosted 12/18/2013 6:43:12 PM
I hope people realize "master race" was a patronizing term that the community owned. No one in the PC gaming community just came up and said, "yea we're literally going to liken ourselves to Nazis now".
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#15AtomicPenguin76Posted 12/18/2013 6:47:36 PM
Pokenub posted...
I'm just so confused by consoles now days.. The only benefits they had are now gone.. Instant loading (back in the cartridge days) is a thing of the past, and since then, consoles have become less and less different from a PC, except worse.

I don't know about the Xbone but the PS4 loads things almost instantly.

The benefit is that it's a closed system, which gives game developers some serious advantages when designing software. That was true ten years ago and it's still the benefit of consoles now.
#16KabtheMentatPosted 12/18/2013 6:48:12 PM
Bazooka_Penguin posted...
I hope people realize "master race" was a patronizing term that the community owned. No one in the PC gaming community just came up and said, "yea we're literally going to liken ourselves to Nazis now".

I dunno...Nazis had pretty rad uniforms.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#17Fayt349Posted 12/18/2013 7:01:54 PM
Arsene-Lupin posted...
I have zero respect for anyone who uses the term "master race." It's pure nonsense. It's just a petty euphemism for graphics-whoring and convenient piracy.

Why does your respect matter to other people lol. I sure as hell wouldn't care if I had your respect.
---
Intel i5 3570k||Vengence 8 GIG DDR3 RAM||EVGA GTX 760 ||4 TB WD Black+1TB Seagate + 128 gig Samsung Pro SSD || Corsair 650W |Asus MOBO||CM scout advance 2 case
#18ThunderPotatoPosted 12/18/2013 7:08:18 PM
Arsene-Lupin posted...
I have zero respect for anyone who uses the term "master race." It's pure nonsense. It's just a petty euphemism for graphics-whoring and convenient piracy.

Thankfully, your respect isn't worth anything so it isn't much of a loss :)
---
I love you.
#19arleasPosted 12/18/2013 7:09:40 PM
It's just a petty euphemism

It was a joke made by someone who primarily games on consoles and everyone just embraced it rather than took offense to it.

It's like saying "you're all a bunch of snobs" and then everyone goes... "Yeah... so?"

Nobody cares except the people who expected it to be an insult....and they're just mad that we don't find it insulting.

I'm kinda tired of the joke but I think for every post complaining about its use it extends its use by 3 months (sorta like "Gabe is fat" jokes delays HL3).

quit complaining, let it die. The problem is that everyone has to let it die and that's highly unlikely with the amount of 12 year olds on the internet.

Oh well... It doesn't affect me.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#20SuigintouEVPosted 12/18/2013 8:12:07 PM
Pokenub posted...
After checking out a mates Xbox One and anothers PS4, I'm not quite sure what the positive difference is between consoles and PC's any more.

Well no wonder. Go check out Wii U - the console that remembers it's a games console :P

The only reason I can actually think of is console exclusives.. But why would they do that?

For starters, a lot of the best developers are 1st or 2nd party for console makers. Naughty Dawg, Team Ico, Retro, Monolith Soft, Nintendo EAD, are a few that come to mind and also publishing games from the likes of Platinum Games or Mistwalker.

Second, releasing games on multiple platforms isn't free. It might be easier to port over a PS4 game to PC than a PS3 game to PC since the architecture is so similar, but there is still a lot of work that needs to be poured in to optimize it, and if the perceived profits aren't there, it's not worth it. The PC world as of late has become really dependant on steam sales to the point where regular price is not something they can charge - and that might mean no profit or even a loss for releasing a PC version.

If a game developer has to pick a lead platform, they will usually pick the one that will be most profitable. That's why even with the advent of PS4 and X1, you see companies like Atlus and Namco announcing new PS3 games like Tales of Zestiria and Persona 5.

I'm not sure if there's some weird marketing parallel universe thing going on, but if it were on PC, more people would end up buying it.. Right?

Well, how long did you just go with your old PC that wouldn't play modern games? The average person doesn't have a gaming PC and really even gets priced out by the early prices for a game console. And back to the bit about optimization - consider that a game might run great on AMD systems, and then runs like crap on Nvidia. It's just one of the things the development teams for PC games have to really worry about.

Further is the topic of piracy. Fact is, it's a lot easier to hack anything for Windows than it is for a proprietary anti-piracy hardware/software setup.

But the weirdest part is, in 5 or so years, I'd still be upgrading my PC. A console (at least until the steam box perhaps) will be stuck with the hardware it has and when the next generation comes, they have to do it all over again.

I'm just so confused by consoles now days.. The only benefits they had are now gone.. Instant loading (back in the cartridge days) is a thing of the past, and since then, consoles have become less and less different from a PC, except worse.

Those were never the advantages of consoles. The advantages of consoles have always been

- Less rampant piracy (aside from the dreamcast which was hit pretty hard pretty quick). Have you ever heard of needing to install a mod-chip on your PC?
- Unified architecture means that the end-user doesn't have to keep dealing with driver crashes etc or inadequate hardware to play x game (if you have the system - you are adequate)
- Console exclusive games - and yes there are a lot of them. PC just is not a big demographic in Japan for gamers besides visual novel type games and let's face it - a huge chunk of great games come from over there.

It's just that since the xbox Microsoft has been trying to turn consoles into homeless man's PCs. So don't support microsoft. And until great exclusive games come out for it, don't support PS4 either. But PS3 & Wii U? They're true game consoles.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II