This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Massive lag when playing online games...

#1XxTwisted26xXPosted 12/18/2013 7:35:12 PM
When I use my wireless adapter, I have 80 ms in games online. However, it will spike to 1,000 ms - 2,000 ms (literally) randomly in the game. This happens in guild wars 2, WoW, Secret World.... every game. However when I hardwire the PC to the router I have a constant 80 ms. Ive tried putting the router in 2 rooms away or even 1 floor below and the same still happens. Any idea whats going on?
---
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
Not the best but it's my first: i5-3570k(CPU) Memory 8GB (RAM) Radeon HD 7970 (GPU) Rosewell 650 (PSU) 120GB King (SSD) Asus VN247HP 1ms
#2Lady UnePosted 12/18/2013 7:39:54 PM
Do you have a lot of wireless devices in your house?

Channel you are using could be crowded.

Had a similar problem a couple years ago where my signal fluctuated wildly when set to Auto for channel selection. (leading to erratic pings and sometimes outright drops)

Setting it to a single traffic free channel stabilized it.
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
Wow. Kenny's a Japanese Princess..
#3XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2013 8:38:05 PM
There's 5 other users in the house. But even when im home alone and it says only my comp is on the network it still lags. :/
---
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
Not the best but it's my first: i5-3570k(CPU) Memory 8GB (RAM) Radeon HD 7970 (GPU) Rosewell 650 (PSU) 120GB King (SSD) Asus VN247HP 1ms
#4Lady UnePosted 12/18/2013 9:33:51 PM
XxTwisted26xX posted...
There's 5 other users in the house. But even when im home alone and it says only my comp is on the network it still lags. :/

Ah, what I mean is are there other wireless devices (more than one router, wireless phone, wireless toaster) running in your house?

It's possible that your router is trying to operate on the same frequency as another wireless device. (even a neighbors router or phone if they are close enough)

I live in the middle of nowhere so I didn't have to run a site survey or anything to see if I had interference, just manually setting both my routers to their own channel that doesn't conflict with my phone was enough.

I'd try to be more helpful but I'm suffering from sim sickness from too much Oculs Rift again.

If no one else chimes in, try google for info on how to select a channel for your router.

Not saying it's the cause, could be a bad router, but knowing how to set up a router to have as little potential interference as possible is always a good thing.
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
Wow. Kenny's a Japanese Princess..