This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First time building a PC, I need help

#1shuppet_is_dumbPosted 12/19/2013 6:14:10 AM
I've decided I'd stick to PCs this generation since the consoles became so expensive where I live (Brazil), and I figure if I'm going to spend that much money might as well be on PC. But I have no idea how to figure out which stuff is compatible, how to select a case, etc.

I initially thought about using this build, but I'd like some suggestions:
GPU
Nvidia GTX780 3GB DDR5

Motherboard
1150 Gigabyte ATX DDR3 1600MHz -> Have no idea how to select this

PSU
Corsair 750HX -> Also have no idea

CPU
Intel Haswell I5 4670 3.40GHz 6MB Cache Lga1150

CPU Cooler
Cpu Cooler Master X6 Elite -> Very limited selection of coolers in national websites, is this one any good?

RAM
Corsair DDR3 8GB(2x4Gb) 1600MHz

HD
SSHD 1TB Seagate 64Mb Cache 7200Rpm Sata III 3,5"
---
3DS FC: 5370 0434 1134
#2ArkonBladePosted 12/19/2013 6:21:37 AM
Its not bad have you picked out a Tower for all this?

Maybe a little over kill on the PSU ... so if you want to save money or if you plan on using Crossfire then NM.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#3shuppet_is_dumb(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2013 6:37:33 AM(edited)
I have absolutely no idea how to pick a tower, I need some help on that. Also, what would be a less overkill PSU? Also, should I go with a watercooler?
---
#4nameless0101Posted 12/19/2013 6:39:12 AM
Not sure if you are aware but with Intel processors if they dont have a K at the end (IE 4670 rather than 4670k) then they can't be overclocked.

That can help when factoring in which type of cooler you want as you don't need as powerful a cooler for a stock clocked cpu.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag DeludedFool
PSN Name also DeludedFool
#5shuppet_is_dumb(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2013 6:41:35 AM
That helps a lot. Thanks!
---
#6RssNGuyPosted 12/19/2013 7:06:08 AM
check out newegg and look at the product videos they have for towers. They do a pretty decent job of showing off each towers capabilities and features.

When you select a tower the most important thing is the form factor. You obviously want one that can fit ATX as that is the form factor of your motherboard, otherwise you won't be able to fit it. Look for things like airflow, space for expansions, wire management. I myself got a Corsair carbide 500r tower, great case with lots of room for expansion (not for one of those huge aftermarket CPU coolers). The only issue I had with this case was it not allowing me to use my usb 3.0 slot on my motherboard due to it's placement. So always read read read reviews.

For your PSU, if you have the money to spend, go with one that has 700-850 watts and is SLI/Crossfire certified. This gives you a little future proofing in case you ever want to use two or more graphics cards at the same time. Really think about it or you'll be like me, I spent $65 on a 650 watt PSU which is great for now, but if I do want to SLI; which i really do; I'll have to shell out another $100+ on top of another graphics card. But since you're getting a gtx 780, I don't think you'll need SLI, so you can be fine with a 500-650 watt PSU. Also, if you can go for a semi modular or fully modular PSU. That means that you can connect the wires that you need instead of having them all connected and dangling causing a mess and blocking air flow.

For a CPU cooler you can skip out on that and just use the stock cooler if you're not going to overclock your CPU. Some motherboards come with an easy OC feature so I say go for it if your budget allows. I went with a cooler master hyper 12 EVO cooler and it keeps my temps lower than some people with minimal overclocks.

If you haven't already, I suggest you go to pcpartpicker, it helps you find all your components with a checklist and only suggests parts which are compatible with each other and even gives you the lowest prices available.

Once you've selected all your components and ordered them, I suggest you watch some videos on youtube about putting together a pc all the way through. Skip out on neweggs videos because they dont explain much and skip out on some important steps which left a confused dumb monkey like me scratching holes through my head. Linus is a pretty good channel to check out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUghCx9iso

this is a pretty good video.
---
3ds FC - 3153-4124-1013
#7shuppet_is_dumb(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2013 7:25:09 AM
RssNGuy posted...
check out newegg and look at the product videos they have for towers. They do a pretty decent job of showing off each towers capabilities and features.

When you select a tower the most important thing is the form factor. You obviously want one that can fit ATX as that is the form factor of your motherboard, otherwise you won't be able to fit it. Look for things like airflow, space for expansions, wire management. I myself got a Corsair carbide 500r tower, great case with lots of room for expansion (not for one of those huge aftermarket CPU coolers). The only issue I had with this case was it not allowing me to use my usb 3.0 slot on my motherboard due to it's placement. So always read read read reviews.

For your PSU, if you have the money to spend, go with one that has 700-850 watts and is SLI/Crossfire certified. This gives you a little future proofing in case you ever want to use two or more graphics cards at the same time. Really think about it or you'll be like me, I spent $65 on a 650 watt PSU which is great for now, but if I do want to SLI; which i really do; I'll have to shell out another $100+ on top of another graphics card. But since you're getting a gtx 780, I don't think you'll need SLI, so you can be fine with a 500-650 watt PSU. Also, if you can go for a semi modular or fully modular PSU. That means that you can connect the wires that you need instead of having them all connected and dangling causing a mess and blocking air flow.

For a CPU cooler you can skip out on that and just use the stock cooler if you're not going to overclock your CPU. Some motherboards come with an easy OC feature so I say go for it if your budget allows. I went with a cooler master hyper 12 EVO cooler and it keeps my temps lower than some people with minimal overclocks.

If you haven't already, I suggest you go to pcpartpicker, it helps you find all your components with a checklist and only suggests parts which are compatible with each other and even gives you the lowest prices available.

Once you've selected all your components and ordered them, I suggest you watch some videos on youtube about putting together a pc all the way through. Skip out on neweggs videos because they dont explain much and skip out on some important steps which left a confused dumb monkey like me scratching holes through my head. Linus is a pretty good channel to check out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUghCx9iso

this is a pretty good video.

Thank you very much! All these tips are incredibly useful to me
---
#8Flaktrooper123Posted 12/19/2013 7:43:06 AM
For instance, if you pick an overclockable processor, ones with K at the end, you preferably want to pick a motherboard with chipset which allows overclocking as well. Z87 for Haswell processors. 4670k with Z87 motherboard is recommended unless you are short on budget. If you don't overclock, stock intel CPU cooler that comes with the box is fine. If you do, an aftermarket cooler is always better. It is recommended regardless, Haswell runs a little hot.

For motherboards, just make sure it is the correct socket with the chipset you want. Additional things you want to consider are the features included. Just see which ones you need out of these

- Form Factor, as explained before. A standard ATX size motherboard can fit a Mid Tower case, but not a micro ATX case. Likewise, an Extended ATX motherboard won't fit in a Mid Tower case, it needs a Full Tower.
- SLI/Crossfire Support
- Onboard audio chip, some motherboard come with better chip, and even added its own headphone amps. Forget it if you want a soundcard.
- Built in WiFi/Bluetooth you save yourself a PCI slot than if you add this yourself.
- Other features you need
Be sure to take your time and read the reviews as well.
#9shuppet_is_dumb(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2013 8:12:43 AM
After doing some reasearch, I'm thinking of going with this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (The overclockable ones are RIDICULOUSLY expensive here, it's more than double the price)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN751ND 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (400R and 500R are unavailable here)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Recommended is 500W, but I figure a little more is good for future proofing)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer (Pretty much just for installing windows))
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - OEM (64-bit)

Is there anything wrong/missing or am I good to go?
---
#10Majoras_pantsPosted 12/19/2013 8:15:22 AM
shuppet_is_dumb posted...
After doing some reasearch, I'm thinking of going with this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (The overclockable ones are RIDICULOUSLY expensive here, it's more than double the price)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN751ND 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (400R and 500R are unavailable here)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Recommended is 500W, but I figure a little more is good for future proofing)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer (Pretty much just for installing windows))
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - OEM (64-bit)

Is there anything wrong/missing or am I good to go?

That looks solid.

Now go to pcpartspicker.com

It would've made this process simpler for you from the start, but it's still a good idea now to see prices for each parts and to see if there are any compatibility issues.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer