This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

One advantage of the steambox that is overlooked often is that

#1Forever ShadowedPosted 12/19/2013 7:51:07 AM
Access to the steam ecosystem means tons of games at much better prices. Over time, if you are a big gamer, the box will pay for itself.

This topic brought to you by looking at the Xbox HOliday sale and laughing at the prices.
---
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
#2PraetorXynPosted 12/19/2013 7:54:06 AM
That's an advantage for console gamers, which the system is targeted towards.

For those of us who already have PC's, the thing is still useless.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#3arleasPosted 12/19/2013 7:56:20 AM
Access to the steam ecosystem

As if you couldn't do this with a computer.

As if the steambox itself isn't just a prebuilt PC in a small case.

As if there's really anything that special about a prebuilt PC in a small case with Linux installed on it.

As if there are really that many Linux games to choose from right at this moment.

So then the one advantage of the steambox is that it does everything a PC can do except play Windows games right out of the box (streaming doesn't count since it requires a 2nd computer).

Yeah... I can see now why it's so often overlooked.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#4Bellum_SacrumPosted 12/19/2013 8:01:55 AM
...and that you can't rent/trade/resell your games, like most console gamers do.

Steam only works on PC because it's dominated by casuals who are uninformed and practically have little in the way of alternatives.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#5Majoras_pantsPosted 12/19/2013 8:07:03 AM
That's an advantage PC gaming has over console gaming. Steamboxes have very little to do with that .Steam Machiens are just another entry point to PC gaming for console gamers who want to remove the training wheels and graduate to real games.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#6vashtrichamPosted 12/19/2013 8:45:46 AM
I save just as much gaming on consoles as i do on pc. They both have sales, consoles have new and used game sales. Ive gotten month old games for $30 on consoles plenty of times. Gamefly also has great used game sales that rival steam sales and these used sales happen frequently and even without their sale their used games are reasonably priced. I also save alot renting games that i know are short, this has allowed me to beat 4-6 games a month at a $30 price.
---
Marvel heroes: Cap and Gambit
#7Bellum_SacrumPosted 12/19/2013 8:54:19 AM
Majoras_pants posted...
...console gamers who want to remove the training wheels and graduate to real games.

The butthurt is strong in this one.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#8Forever Shadowed(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2013 12:04:16 PM
lol @ the pc elitism in this topic

no kids, the steambox is NOT targeted at you. its cute you are so defensive you think it is though

jesus
---
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
#9Majoras_pantsPosted 12/19/2013 12:06:10 PM
Forever Shadowed posted...
lol @ the pc elitism in this topic

no kids, the steambox is NOT targeted at you. its cute you are so defensive you think it is though

jesus

What are you even talking about? We know it's not targeted at us. They're a new entry point to PC gaming. It's literally just a prebuilt PC. Why would it be marketed at people who already have experience building our own?
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#10Tyranius2Posted 12/19/2013 12:34:34 PM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Majoras_pants posted...
...console gamers who want to remove the training wheels and graduate to real games.

The butthurt is strong in this one.

You're the one who sounds butthurt to be honest
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius