This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Crusader Kings II + DLC on sale at Amazon -- any DLC I should get?

#1ShubPosted 12/19/2013 10:29:41 AM
Amazon's holiday sale just started and they're having good deals on Crusader Kings II and all its DLC.

I haven't played the game yet and I don't know if I'll even like it. I like turn-based strategy but don't think I've ever played something as complex as this looks.

Anyway, is there any must-have DLC? It's only a couple bucks per DLC so no biggie either way.
I'm not concerned with the music/unit DLCs either, just the campaigns and whatnot.

I know some of the game's appeal is in mods, too -- I'm keeping that in mind.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#2Majoras_pantsPosted 12/19/2013 10:42:23 AM
I honestly just bought all of the DLC in the pack. I'm not exactly positive which of it is great or not, outside of The Old Gods. That one added a bunch of good stuff.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#3biohazard1775Posted 12/19/2013 10:47:50 AM
Link? I might be interested in this.
---
http://i.imgur.com/nrx65Pw.jpg
We should take away their metal boxes!
#4KabtheMentatPosted 12/19/2013 10:49:36 AM(edited)
The DLC does add a lot to the game. The biggest being able to play certain "kingdoms" such as the Islamic countries and merchant republics. Also the Old Gods lets you start the game about 200 years before the normal start of the game, which is 1066 right before the Battle of Hastings and the Norman conquest of England (which in game can go either way...it's not 100% that William the Bastard will win).

Legacy of Rome is a Byzantium specific DLC that adds a lot of new events and stuff for them...so if you want to play as the Byzantines, then you'd like the DLC. Part of it letting you reform the Roman Empire.

Sunset Invasion is kinda meh. Some people really like it, others don't bother using it at all. I don't use it at all. It's a fictional invasion of the Aztecs into Europe. It's suppose to offset the advantage that western nations have in that they're far removed from the Golden Hordes (Mongols) that invade the east and Mid East. The Aztecs invade from the west across the Atlantic.

I don't have Sons of Abraham, but it adds a lot to the religious aspect of the game. It even adds a new religion, Jewish dudes, and lets you reform Israel.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#5Majoras_pantsPosted 12/19/2013 10:50:08 AM
biohazard1775 posted...

http://www.cheapshark.com/

Now you'll never have to ask for a link when it comes to sales again :)
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#6Shub(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2013 10:53:00 AM
biohazard1775 posted...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/316950-amazon-pcdd-amazon-digital-holiday-sale-has-arrived-2-aliens-colonial-marines-1999-metal-gear-solid-revengence-1499-firaxis-pack-and-more/page-275#entry11360715
Make sure to pay attention to the dates -- some games are listed multiple times and their prices change.

KabtheMentat posted...
The DLC does add a lot to the game. The biggest being able to play certain "kingdoms" such as the Islamic countries and merchant republics. Also the Old Gods lets you start the game about 200 years before the normal start of the game, which is 1066 right before the Battle of Hastings and the Norman conquest of England (which in game can go either way...it's not 100% that William the Bastard will win).

Legacy of Rome is a Byzantium specific DLC that adds a lot of new events and stuff for them...so if you want to play as the Byzantines, then you'd like the DLC. Part of it letting you reform the Roman Empire.

Sunset Invasion is kinda meh. Some people really like it, others don't bother using it at all. I don't use it at all. It's a fictional invasion of the Aztecs into Europe. It's suppose to offset the advantage that western nations have in that they're far removed from the Golden Hordes (Mongols) that invade the east and Mid East. The Aztecs invade from the west across the Atlantic.

I don't have Sons of Abraham, but it adds a lot to the religious aspect of the game. It even adds a new religion, Jewish dudes, and lets you reform Israel.

Mm k, thanks. So they're not really like major overhauls like Civ 5's Gods & Kings or Brave New World, just content addons to go with certain factions, or new factions, or new campaigns, but no major game changers?
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#7KabtheMentatPosted 12/19/2013 10:58:21 AM
Oh, another thing. Don't discount the unit packs, portrait pictures, dynasty shields, or song DLC either. IMO it doesn't add any gameplay to the game, but it does add that special something. Without it, if you're playing as a Scottish duke or something and have kids and whatnot, every white person kinda looks the same. So a Spaniard, Italian, Norse, and Irish guy all look the same. It's just goofy.

Also songs. It takes a LONG time to finish a complete game of CK2, even if you play at full speed the entire time. Having varied music is something that adds to the fun of the game. Plus, the music is pretty good.
---
Skillz Ferguson
#8KabtheMentatPosted 12/19/2013 11:05:28 AM
Shub posted...
Mm k, thanks. So they're not really like major overhauls like Civ 5's Gods & Kings or Brave New World, just content addons to go with certain factions, or new factions, or new campaigns, but no major game changers?

You get most of the content from just having the game patched. The DLC and patching/balancing are mostly the same thing. But if you buy the DLC you get access to the extra bits. So it's kinda like Gods and Kings/BNW in that sense.
---
Skillz Ferguson
#9lightsout06Posted 12/19/2013 1:01:31 PM
how is Crusader Kings II? Im thinking of picking that up. I play a lot of Civilization, Total War, and AoE
---
Not changing sig until Jason Garrett is fired - 10/27/2013
psn - JayDoug25
#10RogueStrikerPosted 12/19/2013 1:11:55 PM
Might get it for the GoT mod.
---
Gotta love Photon Cannon.
1934-1042-4099