This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why doesn't Sony capitalize off their controller...

#11KeyeszxPosted 12/19/2013 7:04:28 PM
Here's what Sony does. create drivers for linux or mac. Then games will be better on those systems and it will end up hurting microsoft in the long run and microsoft will allow sony drivers royalty free.
---
PSN/Gamertag:Keyeszx (Don't send blank friend invite)
Currently Playing:League of Legends, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat, Infinity Blade 2
#12MasterDonGeroPosted 12/19/2013 7:09:43 PM
Keyeszx posted...
Here's what Sony does. create drivers for linux or mac. Then games will be better on those systems and it will end up hurting microsoft in the long run and microsoft will allow sony drivers royalty free.

That would be relevant if every big game was on Mac and Linux and if Sony would actually have to pay Microsoft.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#13shdwdrgnixPosted 12/19/2013 7:11:07 PM
I do prefer the d-pad and stick layout on DS3, but the triggers are horrible and it feels very light.
Thats why I got the battlefield 4 controller, so I can enjoy the things I like on DS3 but have the weight and triggers from a 360 controller
#14The_Count_FooPosted 12/19/2013 7:37:32 PM
shdwdrgnix posted...
I do prefer the d-pad and stick layout on DS3, but the triggers are horrible and it feels very light.
Thats why I got the battlefield 4 controller, so I can enjoy the things I like on DS3 but have the weight and triggers from a 360 controller

The new ps4 controller has better triggers but it's still pretty light. When I first used the ps4 controller I noticed right away how much better the triggers were.
---
Divided by night...
#15SlaynPosted 12/19/2013 7:38:55 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
DARQ MX posted...
royalties, thats why, sony would have to play ms to use thier controller on windows for "official" drivers

Not at all. Do you seriously think that every peripheral with drivers pays Microsoft royalties? SMH.

... don't they?
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#16DV8ingSourcesPosted 12/19/2013 10:41:25 PM
Slayn posted...
DV8ingSources posted...
DARQ MX posted...
royalties, thats why, sony would have to play ms to use thier controller on windows for "official" drivers

Not at all. Do you seriously think that every peripheral with drivers pays Microsoft royalties? SMH.

... don't they?

No. I could write up some new drivers for whatever I want and release them to the public without worry. I'm not sure if the drivers on windows update are paid for/hosted for free by microsoft (as a goodwill and benefit for windows customers) or by the companies themselves but drivers in general don't have royalties tied to them.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#17arleasPosted 12/19/2013 11:11:57 PM(edited)
... don't they?

I think what you're thinking of is WHQL drivers... I think in that case you have to pay for certification but not having it doesn't prevent you from making the drivers available... though if Microsoft tries to lock the OS down in the future they could prevent you from installing non WHQL drivers, but then that would also include beta drivers for video cards and stuff...

From Wikipedia
The WHQL testing fee Microsoft requires is USD $250 per operating system family.[4] This fee covers both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) versions, if submitted simultaneously, and is non-refundable. The fee does not include other expenses, such as a Windows Server 2008 x64 license, necessary for running WHQL tests, and a VeriSign certificate, necessary for submitting test results.[5]

---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#18KamenRiderBladePosted 12/19/2013 11:22:00 PM
arleas posted...
... don't they?

I think what you're thinking of is WHQL drivers... I think in that case you have to pay for certification but not having it doesn't prevent you from making the drivers available... though if Microsoft tries to lock the OS down in the future they could prevent you from installing non WHQL drivers, but then that would also include beta drivers for video cards and stuff...

From Wikipedia
The WHQL testing fee Microsoft requires is USD $250 per operating system family.[4] This fee covers both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) versions, if submitted simultaneously, and is non-refundable. The fee does not include other expenses, such as a Windows Server 2008 x64 license, necessary for running WHQL tests, and a VeriSign certificate, necessary for submitting test results.[5]

It's not a big deal to release non-WHQL drivers. People have been doing that for so long, the end user will deal with it as long as the manufacturer says this is how our drivers are, too bad.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#19calcyclePosted 12/20/2013 1:32:11 AM
I hate convex stuff. Triggers, analog sticks, the DS3 does all of this and I don't like it. DS4 has concave sticks but a 360 controller has everything already.

I don't mainly use the dpad anyways, but it's still bad.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
Steam: Albatrossing
#20Majoras_pantsPosted 12/20/2013 1:40:08 AM
Because Microsoft pushed their controller as a standard first. I'm sure eventually both will have full support. I'd much rather use an Xbox controller though. DS3 is awful. 4 is ok, but still not as good IMO.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer