This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't know what bugs me the most about the new Steam reviews

#1Cesare_BorgiaPosted 12/19/2013 7:44:35 PM
That their relevance is voted on by the rest of the community so that without research you'll only see what the hive mind agrees with; the way that everyone has to write a book about their favorite game instead of just saying whether it was good or not; or how half of the people writing bad reviews fail to notice the large yes or no "recommend" buttons so that they end up publishing a scathing review under a big, blue, and cheery thumbs up.
#2DARQ MXPosted 12/19/2013 7:47:53 PM
ok
---
Intel i5 2500k|8GB G.Skill RJaws|VelociRaptor, WD Fals|AsRock z68 Extreme4 G3|Sapphire 2GB 6970 OC'd |Corsair 520W PSU|Corsair 500R, K90, M95|ASUS Designo IPS
#3SlaynPosted 12/19/2013 7:48:11 PM
Are there any reviews that everyone likes?

No one likes Metacritic, no one likes Steam, no one likes gaming magazines or websites.

So essentially might as well just say "I hate reviews, I am just going to base it on Youtube clips before I buy a game".
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#4BogePosted 12/19/2013 7:55:32 PM
The problem with user reviews is that there is no middle ground. It's either the best game ever made 10/10, or the worst pile of junk 0/10.

Halo and Final Fantasy are a few of the most overrated games of all time. I despise how highly rated these games are. Now a normal user review would be a 0 for these. That's a biased review which completely scews the overall of what the game really is. I personally would give them maybe a 7 or 8/10 because what they do is quality, it's just not my flavor.

So, user reviews are terrible to go off. As long as Steam keeps the Metacritic professional review scores for games, that's okay with me. Yeah, professional reviews aren't perfect either, but at least you don't get the cry baby call of duty haters ruining the scores with a 0/10 rating. No game is that bad.
---
And so he prophesied that the sheeple will follow the stupid, and the stupid will rule the Earth.
#5arleasPosted 12/19/2013 8:01:15 PM(edited)
half of the people writing bad reviews fail to notice the large yes or no "recommend" buttons so that they end up publishing a scathing review under a big, blue, and cheery thumbs up.

I've seen some of these but not a whole lot of these. Usually the people who are too stupid to do something properly like click "yes or no" to the question "do you recommend this?" are also too stupid to write long "scathing" reviews. Unless "OMG THIS SUX" counts.

Also you could take the time to read all the reviews for yourself... I don't vote on them based on whether I agree with the thumbs up or down... I vote if it's actually worth reading... so if he votes it up and just says "OMG BESTEST GAME EVARRRRRRR" then i give that a thumbs down. Likewise if he says "THis suXXorZ" I vote that down, even if I agree.... if they give a well written review I'll thumb it up.

But yeah, too many people are going to just vote to show whatever they agree with.

The problem with user reviews is that there is no middle ground. It's either the best game ever made 10/10, or the worst pile of junk 0/10.

The thing is, most people aren't going to think of things in more detail than that anyway.... most of the user reviews here or on metacritic seem to fall either 10/10 best ever, or 0/10 sux. The rest are of the opinion that if it didn't get at least a 9/10 then it must suck anyway.

Besides, who cares if you liked it 10/10 or 7/10? The question remains: would you recommend someone else try it? yes or no.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#6Cesare_Borgia(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2013 8:00:51 PM
Slayn posted...
Are there any reviews that everyone likes?

No one likes Metacritic, no one likes Steam, no one likes gaming magazines or websites.

So essentially might as well just say "I hate reviews, I am just going to base it on Youtube clips before I buy a game".

You're broadening the scope of this topic. I never mentioned any other review site or publication, I only said that all the dumb teenagers writing Steam reviews aren't very good at it. The reviews are either overly long and flowery because these kids think they need to match the length of an IGN article, or they make dumb mistakes like not changing the thumbs up to a thumbs down when writing a negative review.

tl;dr - people are stupid
#7Shah138Posted 12/19/2013 8:02:46 PM
At least Steam reviews can show you whether a person actually has the game or not and how many hours a person put into it. It may even be limited to people who do, I don't remember. Metacritic blows in the aspect that anyone can put up a review whenever they want.
---
Biotic God of Dark Aether
#8Arsene-LupinPosted 12/19/2013 9:04:46 PM
Shah138 posted...
At least Steam reviews can show you whether a person actually has the game or not and how many hours a person put into it. It may even be limited to people who do, I don't remember. Metacritic blows in the aspect that anyone can put up a review whenever they want.

Yeah, that's a major plus. Remember Rome 2? When that came out, all of the gaming media was masturbating to it so hard we're still wiping away the metaphoric ejaculate... and thanks to Steam stats we were able to tell that only 30% of reviewers had played the POS for more than one hour, and less than 3% had even played the campaign.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#9AcquirePosted 12/20/2013 1:32:48 AM
I think the steam review system is probably the best user review system for games out there because only people that own the game can review them and they don't have a score. It's not whether a game is the best or worst game ever made, but whether you would recommend it to someone because there is some fun to be had. Obvious troll reviews will sink down and allow the actually helpful reviews to float up. You can't really get better than that.
---
And if you hear as the warm night falls. The silver sound from a time so strange. Sing to me, sing to me.
#10Majoras_pantsPosted 12/20/2013 1:41:21 AM
I'll go with Steam reviews before the paid marketing reviews that metacritic links to.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer