This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Massive FPS drop in all games. Please help - story inside

#1wedgeskywalker9Posted 12/20/2013 12:15:37 AM
I bought Arkham Origins the other day, and was able to play it with almost all the options maxed out with a consistent 30 or so FPS. After making it around 6% of the way into the game, the power suddenly shut down on my desktop and refused to turn back on; I opened it up to take a look and found a high pitched whine from the power supply, which my research told me indicated a faulty PSU.

I had an older power supply lying around, and while I went to look for it my cousin came across my opened desktop he sprayed a dust cleaner onto the admittedly dusty motherboard and GPU; they weren't particularly wet and there wasn't any visible damage, so I soldiered on and went ahead installing the older power supply. Everything powered up ok, but when I went back to Arkham the FPS was down to the teens and got up to the mid 20s if I turn all the options off.

Now, there's a drop from 620 watts to 540 watts between the two power supplies; could that lead to the drop in performance? Did the cleaner fry my stuff beyond recognition? Did the power burning put while everything in use mess it up? Or do none of those ideas make sense and is it some mysterious 4th option?
---
Official Iron Man of C&GN
#2Kokuei05Posted 12/20/2013 12:35:22 AM
Your no name brand PSU's aren't giving enough power.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u155ncSlkCk