This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question for fans of the original Starcraft

#1darkmaian23Posted 12/20/2013 1:01:51 AM
The Starcraft board has been dead for some time given how old the game is, so I thought it would be OK to post my question here. I've gone through both the original and Brood Wars for the story. In trying to decide whether or not to get the next two games, I decided to play some versus matches against the computer as Protoss.

And the computer absolutely destroys me with rushes. Based on some advice I've read (and my own experience in singe player), I use the following build order: 7 mineral gathering probes -> Pylon -> 2 probes for gather gas -> 2 Gateways for faster unit spawning -> Dragoons -> Base defense and Pylons while waiting for said Dragoons to spawn for a rush.

I know I could be a bit faster in my execution, but by the time the first two units are pumped out, the computer is on top of me with 12 marines, tearing up my supply line and Pylons. I Protoss is the slowest race in terms of building, but I feel like I'm Starcraft impaired.
#2Cool_Dude667Posted 12/20/2013 2:26:17 AM
The computer cheats, you should try and track down some real players to play against.

Or pick up Starcraft 2, theres even a mod that remade all of original and Brood War campaigns, with all of the original voice acting, units, stats, pregame briefing, etc.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#3KarnRX78Posted 12/20/2013 4:20:10 AM
The original starcraft AI is brutal.

Dragoons are a great unit, but Zealots work better against the AI's early marine pressure. Usually what I did was build a gateway at 8 or 9 supply. Get a zealot once it finished, and continued with Zealots for a while. Remember to keep building probes and pylons. 4-5 Zealots usually held off a marine rush for me with a little micro. After that just keep building your base, expand and tech up. Surviving that initial rush is the hard part, after that you are generally on equal ground.

Starcraft 2 is well worth it if you enjoyed the original. The Campaigns are as epic as the original in my opinion. And fighting against the AI isn't like the original, and of course you can play against other humans.

I learned alot about playing the games from youtube videos of pro players. While I can't execute any where near their ability. You still get a basic idea of what needs to be done in a game to win. Against the AI or against a Human.
---
21B64R09E14A35K92T29H45E17W43A82L95L19S57D36O18W39N8Y2J
(V)0-0(V) This is Mudcrab. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him achieve world Domination.
#4darkmaian23(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2013 11:19:38 AM
Thank you for the advice guys! ^_^