This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How hard is it to become a PRO player at LoL, Dota 2 or StarCraft 2?

#1AwesomeOSaucePosted 12/20/2013 2:44:26 AM
Like if I had the drive to play hours every day and try to get better and better to reach the Pro gamer level and compete for money in competitions how hard would this actually be?
---
http://soundcloud.com/sunnyterra/audio-recording-on-monday-29
^ Hermiione says my name and says I''m cute! ^_^
#2ClouddxPosted 12/20/2013 2:52:08 AM
good luck
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 470 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#3Majoras_pantsPosted 12/20/2013 2:53:17 AM
Don't bother trying.

If you play all day every day, are naturally good, and have a lot of RTS and MOBA experience already, you still have very little chance of being competitive with the pros.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#4xLexLuth0rxPosted 12/20/2013 2:55:07 AM
I wonder how many of the pros set out just to do that... be pros. Or did they just play and enjoy the game and realize that they got that s*** down!
---
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
"And like that, *poof*. He's gone."
#5ClouddxPosted 12/20/2013 2:56:39 AM
xLexLuth0rx posted...
Or did they just play and enjoy the game and realize that they got that s*** down!

This is the case most of the time.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 470 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#6FeatherwindPosted 12/20/2013 2:59:24 AM
In LoL you need to play pretty much all the time to beat the better players. It's probably hard to play that much if you are an adult and have a job or other "life" that requires time and attention. I think a big reason many pro players are so young is that they can often play with less distractions. You can easily get into games with the top players if you can play a lot but you also need to have some "showmanship" talent to create a stream worth watching.

Also note that the current LoL pros have played many hours per day for years already. So if you start playing now you are already disadvantaged.
---
pathological
#7YoungAdultLinkPosted 12/20/2013 3:06:10 AM
Play competitive SF4, instead. There was a guy at Evo this year, made it to the top 10 in his first ever tournament appearance. You've just gotta be prepared to commit to only 1 or 2 characters and be willing to spend 3 hours a day, at minimum, practicing them, plus finding people to fight against in-person so that you don't get used to playing with online latency too much.

Oh, and it's not hard to become a pro player at any game if you're good enough. You just need to be good enough to impress one of the existing teams to get them to take you on, then you need to be willing to do whatever the team requires of you. In e-sports, this often includes daily streams, tons of practice every day, and, sometimes, moving into a house with your other team mates so that you can practice against one another in low-latency situations, like you would experience in a tournament situation.

In other words, it's not hard, it's just something you have to decide to dedicate yourself to.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#8_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 12/20/2013 3:34:36 AM
You need to be naturally good (have "talent" even though it is an odd concept in games) and you need to be very dedicated.

If you are not already a dominant player from just playing the game normally, do not even bother, it is not for you.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#9_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 12/20/2013 3:36:55 AM
xLexLuth0rx posted...
I wonder how many of the pros set out just to do that... be pros. Or did they just play and enjoy the game and realize that they got that s*** down!

From what I know for some of the better known Counter Strike players, it was the latter. I never heard any of them say they struggled and practiced to get where they are. All of them pretty much mentioned that they were very good players first, and thinking about going pro came second. Spawn for example.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#10analogmanPosted 12/20/2013 3:57:11 AM
to be a pro, just get a team and sign up regularly in your local competitions.

but to be great players, thats a different story.
---
check my quote :DD