This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How hard is it to become a PRO player at LoL, Dota 2 or StarCraft 2?

#11SlaynPosted 12/20/2013 4:27:25 AM
It's a hard question. I mean if you play and you find yourself getting up to at least diamond or even platinum, I mean that's good. If you are like me stuck in low rank, even if you practice, you won't make it. I would never "aspire" to be a pro player. You just kind of find yourself high in the rankings, and from there you network. It comes naturally. I naturally suck at video games.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#12gfaqsterPosted 12/20/2013 5:19:59 AM
YoungAdultLink posted...
Play competitive SF4, instead. There was a guy at Evo this year, made it to the top 10 in his first ever tournament appearance. You've just gotta be prepared to commit to only 1 or 2 characters and be willing to spend 3 hours a day, at minimum, practicing them, plus finding people to fight against in-person so that you don't get used to playing with online latency too much.

Oh, and it's not hard to become a pro player at any game if you're good enough. You just need to be good enough to impress one of the existing teams to get them to take you on, then you need to be willing to do whatever the team requires of you. In e-sports, this often includes daily streams, tons of practice every day, and, sometimes, moving into a house with your other team mates so that you can practice against one another in low-latency situations, like you would experience in a tournament situation.

In other words, it's not hard, it's just something you have to decide to dedicate yourself to.

Street Fighter 4?

eh it might be pretty costly to invest in becoming a pro in that game.
I mean you have to buy a joystick from a good brand like Hori and then every year it gets an expansion release that you need to buy because of updates and new characters and attack changes and its hard to keep up to date and you end up spending a ton of money.
---
We live to make the impossible possible!
-Lightning-
#13GarquillPosted 12/20/2013 7:10:43 AM(edited)
being years behind the curve isn't that bad
newcomers have an advantage that they can improve at a much more rapid rate after a certain point because a lot of the work on the metagame has already been done before they arrived. That and older players tend to begin to stagnate.

it's true that talent can help a lot, but keep in mind that talent is just a coincidental alignment of skills. You can unlock talent at any point.

if you DO have talent though, you're probably more likely to be passionate about what you're doing. Passion is the most powerful force to have on your side.
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#14therickmu25Posted 12/20/2013 7:14:56 AM
I have 500 hours in Dota and I have an average skill rank. My friend has 2000 hours in Dota and has a worse rank than me.

You need to be naturally good, dedicated, and ultimately a lot of Dota pro players come off as extremely intelligent. Theres no practice to improve just being a smart person that can process tons of information quickly.
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/9Ho6VA1.jpg
#15YoungAdultLinkPosted 12/20/2013 12:31:30 PM(edited)
gfaqster posted...
Street Fighter 4?

eh it might be pretty costly to invest in becoming a pro in that game.
I mean you have to buy a joystick from a good brand like Hori and then every year it gets an expansion release that you need to buy because of updates and new characters and attack changes and its hard to keep up to date and you end up spending a ton of money.

SF4 will run on a toaster, so you never need to upgrade your rig, a good arcade stick can be had for $100 and can be repaired for between $2-20, depending on whether a button wears out or the stick itself.

Oh, and Capcom releases every other year, and only at $15 if you own the previous one. So, if you started playing when it came out, you would have bought SF4 at $60, SSF4, SSF4AE, and the upcoming USF4. That's $200 for a stick and 6 years worth of game. It's actually cheaper than being a Starcraft 2 player.

edit: Oh, and they play on the PS3 or on actual arcade machines in tournaments, so you don't actually need a PC unless you want it to look nicer when you stream for people from home.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#16OrgeLambartPosted 12/20/2013 12:38:11 PM
you need to naturally be talented at that game... After a few hours of practice with the same character you'll know how you stack up...
---
Xboxlive - Orge Lambart , Steam ID - Orge Lambart
#17stmstrPosted 12/20/2013 12:40:24 PM
Some reading material:

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/
#18AwesomeOSauce(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2013 2:31:15 AM
Bump
---
http://soundcloud.com/sunnyterra/audio-recording-on-monday-29
^ Hermiione says my name and says I''m cute! ^_^
#19SlaynPosted 12/23/2013 2:44:54 AM
therickmu25 posted...
I have 500 hours in Dota and I have an average skill rank. My friend has 2000 hours in Dota and has a worse rank than me.

You need to be naturally good, dedicated, and ultimately a lot of Dota pro players come off as extremely intelligent. Theres no practice to improve just being a smart person that can process tons of information quickly.

I'm the League version of your friend.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#20TrueKuPosted 12/23/2013 4:18:08 AM
...why bump, you already have the answer

are you waiting for someone to tell you to ignore what everyone else said
and to tell you that

HEY
HEY YOU
YEAH YOU
YOU ARE THE ONE

IF YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH
GO GET IT

FORGET THE NAYSAYERS

YOU, HAVE THE HEART
YOU HAVE THE DRIVE

YOU HAVE LIKE OVER 9000 MORE HEART POWER THAN EVERYONE ELSE

IF YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH, GO AND GET IT.

ONE LIFE, BRO

---
Chief Scientician