This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can't play BioShock Infinite

#1FallenNocturnePosted 12/20/2013 3:12:04 AM
So I downloaded BioShock Infinite when it was on sale at GameFly earlier this week. For some reason though, it crashes my computer as soon as it gets to the menu - usually when I click any option. It doesn't BSOD or anything - just immediately cuts my PC off and reboots. I tried uninstalling and re-downloading/installing the game, updating my graphics drivers, doing memory/disk checks, verifying the game files in Steam, and following through some other fixes I found online (mostly dealing with DirectX) but I still get the same problem. I don't think it could be overheating - HWMonitor shows temperatures well in acceptable range, and it doesn't happen on any other game. It also runs the benchmark utility without any issues.

I transferred the game over to my laptop and I don't get any crashes - though my laptop isn't capable of running it smoothly at all. My desktop has a 3570k and 560 Ti on Win7 x64, if that helps. The only other thing that I can think of is to do a reformat - I saw a thread on another forum where that worked for someone having a similar problem, but I'd hate to have to go through that just for the chance of fixing this (and if it doesn't work I'd be pissed). Anyone have any other ideas before I bite the bullet and reformat?
#2FallenNocturne(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2013 7:10:12 AM
Bump. Anyone?
#3Rexdragon125Posted 12/20/2013 8:27:29 AM
What is your power supply? Also there's a lot of finicky 560's out there, might need to replace it.
#4FallenNocturne(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2013 10:17:16 AM
I actually just installed it on my Win 8.1 partition (just a small one I have to play around with - my main partition is Win7) and it worked flawlessly on the latest beta driver - still reboots on my main partition with the same drivers. I'm thinking there must be something wrong with my Win7 partition so I'm backing up everything and getting ready to reformat. We'll see what happens then.
#5FallenNocturne(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2013 1:35:15 PM(edited)
Okay, this is really odd. Just reformatted and installed Win8 on my main partition, and it's shutting down my PC again. It didn't do it on the test partition...hard drive problem maybe? Or a stupidly finicky 560 that needs to be put out to pasture?

Just going to add that it usually makes it to the menu, but as soon as I click on something, it shuts down immediately, almost like I hit an off switch. Sometimes I make it into the options menu, but if I click on one of the options (Graphics, Keyboard/Mouse, etc.) it cuts right off.
#6FallenNocturne(Topic Creator)Posted 12/21/2013 8:19:28 PM
Okay guys...I'm totally stumped here. I bought a new video card (760) and it's still doing the exact same thing. If I use the integrated Intel graphics, it works fine. If I use the Nvidia card it either totally shuts down my PC during the intro movies or when I "press any key" at the title screen. Drivers are all up to date, Steam cache is all verified, etc.

Does anyone have any freaking clue what's going on? Getting really aggravated by this.
#7DV8ingSourcesPosted 12/21/2013 8:23:00 PM
Maybe you damaged your pcie slot somehow? If you have another pcie, maybe try your gpu there. You say it doesn't happen with other games at all? Even demanding titles?

Power cables are properly installed? Do you have any weird overlays being used? That is quite the bummer and its very odd that you would crash in such a manner.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#8Jprime666Posted 12/21/2013 8:26:10 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#9FallenNocturne(Topic Creator)Posted 12/21/2013 8:30:39 PM
DV8ing, nope, it hasn't happened in any other games. Just played through Brothers in its entirety in one sitting the other day (not the most demanding game, I know, but still), and I've played Civ V recently as well without issues. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with my PCI-E slot (and would that cause such a game-specific issue?), but if it comes to that I could probably check into it. I'm really wondering if it's a software issue though rather than a hardware one.

Going to try an older driver and see if this works. If not, I think I'm going to just throw my hands up and give up. Sucks because I've really been looking forward to playing Infinite.
#10Jprime666Posted 12/21/2013 8:36:41 PM
Have you tried rolling back to some earlier nvidia drivers? Maybe an one of the older drivers? A non beta from a few months ago? Can't hurt to check at this point.

If you have a controller try navigating with that?
---
Get ready for Kanji Tatsumi to show his manhood to these chicks! - Kanji Tatsumi