This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are the best emulators for the following systems?

#1Sephiroth311Posted 12/20/2013 5:12:16 AM
NES
SNES
GENESIS
N64
PSone

I'm specifically looking for (if they exist) emulators that you can set to launch under their own individual settings so that you don't need to keep changing them based on the game you're playing.

Ideally it would also be nice if they had box art as well.
---
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
#2-CJF-Posted 12/20/2013 5:23:18 AM
Everyone won't agree on which emulators are the best since it largely depends on the preference of the person. That said, here's what I consider to be the best:

NES - Nestopia Undead. Fixes some issues with input lag and adds new features to this already near perfect, cycle accurate emulator.

SNES - bSNES aka Higan. Byuu's emulator is by far as close as anyone has come to creating the perfect emulator. The extent this guy went to while creating this emulator is almost unbelievable. He went so far as to have the individual processor chips examined under an electron microscope.

Genesis - Kega Fusion. Written by former Sega programmer Steve Snake, this emulator has tons of filters and features and plays nearly every game flawlessly. If cycle accuracy is your thing, you may want to keep tabs on the Exodus project.

N64 - Project 64 is currently the only contender, but you may want to keep an eye on CEN64. CEN64 is a cycle accurate emulator which has been making rapid progress lately.

PSOne - Mednafen with RetroArch or Xebra are the most accurate ones. I prefer Mednafen because you can use filters with it. Xebra is also extremely accurate but doesn't support filters. Finally, ePSXe has come a long way and, while significantly less accurate than Mednafen and Xebra, it's still the most popular option.
#3Sephiroth311(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2013 5:31:29 AM
I'm going to give bSNES a go, a few people recommended it in another topic. Do you have to mess with the settings much or will most games play well by default?

I already use the Fusion and Project 64 so good to know they are still the best!

Do any of them offer box art? So far the only one I've found that does is the NES emulator Jnes which is working quite well for me so far
---
#4-CJF-Posted 12/20/2013 5:36:20 AM
You can just configure it once and it will remember the settings. Most emulators do not need per-game configurations until you get into the PS2 era and beyond. As far as I know, the emulators themselves do not offer Box Art, but you can easily set up the emulators to launch through a frontend such as HyperSpin, a media center such as XBMC, and even Steam.
#5zerodefectPosted 12/20/2013 6:12:05 AM
Retroarch, no need for anything else.
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
#6Bellum_SacrumPosted 12/20/2013 6:23:55 AM
Sephiroth311 posted...
I'm going to give bSNES a go, a few people recommended it in another topic.

Just keep Snes9x handy for when bSNES/Higan tries to be a bit "too accurate", since issues are certain to arise when techniques that only work on TV monitors have different results when applied on a computer monitor.

An infamous example is Kirby 3's transparency effects, which simply won't work properly on bsnes/higan.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#7-CJF-Posted 12/20/2013 6:40:34 AM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Sephiroth311 posted...
I'm going to give bSNES a go, a few people recommended it in another topic.

Just keep Snes9x handy for when bSNES/Higan tries to be a bit "too accurate", since issues are certain to arise when techniques that only work on TV monitors have different results when applied on a computer monitor.

An infamous example is Kirby 3's transparency effects, which simply won't work properly on bsnes/higan.

Probably just requires a CRT shader, which can be applied from RetroArch using the bSNES core. Snes9x is also a very solid emulator though. Byuu himself worked on it. It's not as accurate as bSNES but it's much better than Zsnes and the other competition.
#8Sephiroth311(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2013 7:09:08 AM
Yeah I've been using ZSNES and I'm not completely satisfied with it, all of my games have at least 1 minor issue with it. They are very minor but still...

Am I right in understanding that bSNES will play SNES and NES games?
---
#9Bellum_SacrumPosted 12/20/2013 7:46:11 AM
Sephiroth311 posted...
Yeah I've been using ZSNES and I'm not completely satisfied with it, all of my games have at least 1 minor issue with it. They are very minor but still...

Am I right in understanding that bSNES will play SNES and NES games?

No, no bSNES is a SNES emulator. Higan (the multiplatform emu that included bSNES) can play NES games but you're better off using something else.

Here's a helpful link:

http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Windows_Emulators

Things can change quickly in the emulation world but this will suffice for now.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#10eddy1nsanePosted 12/20/2013 9:42:19 AM
you might want to search hyperspin.
---
God created the world, everything else are made in China