This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I want to make sure I'm on the right track on my PC build - whats the next step?

#1SpringerPosted 12/20/2013 4:56:29 AM
Okay,

If some of you have read my other threads, I am a complete noob and I did some serious cosmetic damage to my case. Nobody has said anything about that cosmetic damage causing any performance issues.

So with that being said, I am going to need some serious babysitting moving forward into this build, seen here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2atDx

Here is how far I have gotten and here are my questions on that:

I have the CPU in the motherboard - no questions on that

I have the CPU cooler on - it slides. Is this normal? I have been grabbing the motherboard by the CPU cooler and while it is definitely secure in its place with screws, I can wiggle the cooler back & forth ever so slightly. I'm hoping this is normal and has something to do with the thermal compound.

I inserted 2 sticks of RAM - there were 4 ram choices: grey, black, grey, black. Which colors was I suppose to choose? Why does it alternate in colors like that?
I chose the 3rd and 4th slots, grey and black, the slots furthest away from the CPU. Can someone please help me with that?

I have the MOBO in the case now - despite some hangups.

I put the GPU into the MOBO and case - It appears as if I have THREE options on where to put this on the MOBO - high, middle, or low. Why are there three choices? Does it matter which one I choose? I chose the one closest to the CPU, which I call the "high" one.

What are my next steps? What should I look out for?
---
**** taco bell
**** Matt Kenseth
#2teknic1200Posted 12/20/2013 5:20:29 AM(edited)
Springer posted...
Okay,

I inserted 2 sticks of RAM - there were 4 ram choices: grey, black, grey, black. Which colors was I suppose to choose? Why does it alternate in colors like that?
I chose the 3rd and 4th slots, grey and black, the slots furthest away from the CPU. Can someone please help me with that?

the RAM needs to be in two slots of the same color and it does matter which color slot they are in if you are only putting two sticks in the box.

my ram is in the blue slots, I'm guessing gray but your mobo's manual should tell you this.

the machine probably won't boot if the memory is in the wrong slots.

The video card needs to be in the 16x slot. There typically is a specific slot for the graphics card that other PCIe cards won't properly run in.
---
Today is the Tomorrow you were promised Yesterday
#3pothocketPosted 12/20/2013 5:21:43 AM
Dude, read the instructions that came with your motherboard. It will tell you which two RAM slots to use. It will tell you which is the preferred slot for your graphics card.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#4pothocketPosted 12/20/2013 5:25:27 AM
Is your motherboard mounted into your case yet? You didn't list that step as something you did.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#5punk91288Posted 12/20/2013 5:44:10 AM
I read one of his earlier topics. He tried to mount the mobo to the case without the standoffs and when it didn't fit he cut up his case to try and make it fit. No offense TC, but you really should have done some research before attempting to build your own rig.
---
i5-3570k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z77X -UP4TH | Gigabyte GTX660 sli | M4 128GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 16GB DDR3 1600
Gamertag: Dezz89
#6VIP86Posted 12/20/2013 5:54:45 AM
Seriously. You should have done some research. Watched some videos and read stuff online. You wouldn't be super lost like you are now.
---
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750
#7ArkonBladePosted 12/20/2013 9:00:47 AM
They have guides that take you through step by step on youtube. I would advise you watch one. I saw 3 different ones before I even started my first build.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#8DetectivPenguinPosted 12/20/2013 9:09:21 AM
ArkonBlade posted...
They have guides that take you through step by step on youtube. I would advise you watch one. I saw 3 different ones before I even started my first build.

---
Interested in finance and the stock market?Want to have a gamefaqs board on it? Sign my site petition here:
www.gamefaqs.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/66852152
#9wizardmonPosted 12/20/2013 9:35:17 AM(edited)
http://youtu.be/d_56kyib-Ls?t=5m27s
Watch this entire video.

Also as a note, the Newegg guy applies his thermal paste wrong. Don't pre-spread your thermal paste. Just apply a dot of it and use the force of the heatsink to smush it down onto the CPU. Pre-spreading the thermal paste results in many airbubbles which heat won't conduct through, having the heatsink spread the paste for you results in no airbubbles at all. Don't remove the CPU cooler from the CPU after you've smushed the paste down, putting it back down onto the smushed paste will result in airbubbles - heatsink goes down, don't lift back up.

Another edit, if you have your CPU cooler already installed, just leave it on. the temp difference isn't worth re-doing everything unless you plan on high overclocking
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#10Springer(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2013 6:13:50 PM
wizardmon posted...
http://youtu.be/d_56kyib-Ls?t=5m27s
Watch this entire video.

Also as a note, the Newegg guy applies his thermal paste wrong. Don't pre-spread your thermal paste. Just apply a dot of it and use the force of the heatsink to smush it down onto the CPU. Pre-spreading the thermal paste results in many airbubbles which heat won't conduct through, having the heatsink spread the paste for you results in no airbubbles at all. Don't remove the CPU cooler from the CPU after you've smushed the paste down, putting it back down onto the smushed paste will result in airbubbles - heatsink goes down, don't lift back up.

Another edit, if you have your CPU cooler already installed, just leave it on. the temp difference isn't worth re-doing everything unless you plan on high overclocking

wizardmon,

This video isn't working for me.

Does it work for anyone else?
---
**** taco bell
**** Matt Kenseth