This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

if you like scifi, buy Hard Reset!

#11DiviDudePosted 12/20/2013 6:36:31 PM(edited)
Cool_Dude667 posted...
whats so bad about it? its still in my backlog

Here's the first 75% of the game. You enter a fairly small room, the door closes behind you, and then you fight a swarm of tiny robots, about half of them suicide robots. A few more waves come at you, you kill them, and then the door opens so you proceed to the next room. Wash, rinse, repeat. It is a corridor shooter of the corridoriest. You've seen one map, you've seen them all. The only reason to keep going is to see if any of the weapon upgrades turn out to be interesting. Some are, but they get old quick because you just keep using them again the same 5 baddies repeatedly.

Eventually you start fighting some bigger robots with fair regularity, but it's still much the same. There are about 5, maybe 6 enemies you'll face repeatedly throughout the game with almost no variety.

And of course there's the stupid sprint mechanic new shooters love where you sprint for like three seconds and then run out of stamina. And you can't shoot while running. Or jump.

Remember universal ammo from Deus Ex Invisible War? Well here you have universal ammo for two different weapon types, so it's not quite as bad. But if you run out of ammo using, say, rockets, then congrats because you're out of ammo for your shotgun too. Oh but that's okay, because ammo regenerates! You read that correct. Shields also regenerate, but at least health doesn't.

Level design is bad. You can't even jump over knee-high rails and stuff; I don't even know why the game bothers having a jump feature.

Oh yeah, and it's a checkpoint based save system!

It's not old school. At all. Just because it's not cover-based and chooses to be arcadey doesn't make it old school.

Oh yeah and you can't even duck or crouch either.

Incidentally, I've been playing Serious Sam 3 BFE lately and it is a far superior old school-type shooter.
#12ShubPosted 12/20/2013 7:14:04 PM
I'd had it in my library for a long long time, finally decided to play it a couple of weeks ago and totally hated it. But some people like it, that's OK.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#13Dark_SpiretPosted 12/20/2013 7:14:34 PM
i...liked it. it looks nice, **** blows up real good, the weapons were fun, i liked the upgrade system. Its got its share of issues, but its an enjoyable action game.
---
Currently playing: Rogue Legacy - Tales of Xillia - Skyrim
#14ShadowThaReaperPosted 12/20/2013 7:17:33 PM
DiviDude posted...
It's marketed as old school, but it most certainly is not old school. It's an unholy hybrid of old school and new school that fails to capture the virtues of either.

Avoid.

^
This. The game is crap.

Shadow Warrior is similarly, not an old school game, but a crappy new school game, complete with hallway-like level design, and trashy RPG features.
#15skillfactorPosted 12/21/2013 9:57:16 PM
Agreed, this game has a slick production and great graphics with solid gameplay. If anyone turned this down at 2 dollars, the cost of a low end mobile app, you're unreasonable. That is all
---
i5 2500k (4.7 ghz) / Noctua NH D14 / MSI 780 Twin Frozr / 16 gb ram ddr3 1600 / Corsair 500R White
#16wentzelotPosted 12/22/2013 5:38:20 AM(edited)
it's a very good shooter.. though short.
#17thatauthor(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2013 2:10:30 PM

have you played the extended edition add-on?
---
now take your medicine and shut up. ~ mukuyaku
#18AcquirePosted 12/22/2013 2:59:17 PM
MangorushXIII posted...
DiviDude posted...
It's marketed as old school, but it most certainly is not old school. It's an unholy hybrid of old school and new school that fails to capture the virtues of either.

Avoid.

I wholly agree with this.
---
And if you hear as the warm night falls. The silver sound from a time so strange. Sing to me, sing to me.
#19biohazard1775Posted 12/22/2013 3:10:10 PM
It's okay. It has fairly old school action but doesn't have the level design to truly call itself old school. At that price it's at least worth trying out.
---
http://i.imgur.com/nrx65Pw.jpg
We should take away their metal boxes!
#20wentzelotPosted 12/22/2013 3:29:31 PM
thatauthor posted...

have you played the extended edition add-on?

yes i've only played the extended version. never played it before it was the extended version