This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Opinions on Total War: Shogun 2

#11Lady UnePosted 12/20/2013 5:54:04 PM
One of my favorite strategy games.

Pretty high learning curve.

Understanding the importance of your general is key.
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
Wow. Kenny's a Japanese Princess..
#12sfcalimariPosted 12/20/2013 6:04:09 PM
Great great great great great great game. Definitely the most polished and all-around enjoyable Total War game. It provides a better challenge than Rome 1, is way better than Rome 2 or Empire which are complete messes, is more unpredictable than Napoleon, and it looks way better and is much more fun and has a more well-rounded challenge than Medieval 2.

Napoleon is my 2nd favorite TW game.
---
http://i75.servimg.com/u/f75/17/26/59/67/ku-xla10.jpg
"Permit me to rule over the goats as well as the sheep." --Zygmunt Augustus
#13megablue9Posted 12/20/2013 6:24:47 PM
Good game I would recommend it
---
3ds FC: 5172-0077-4852
#14Termin8rPosted 12/20/2013 10:19:47 PM
Shogun 2 is actually the best game for beginners to start with... at least until Rome II finally manages to get itself together.

Of course though for any Total War game there will be a big learning curve for those who are used to twitch-based fast-paced RTS games, as TW heavily emphasizes the utilization battlefield tactics and morale modifiers to gain victory. The objective really is not to kill all of your enemy's troops, but rather to demoralize them enough to the point where their entire army goes into a chain reaction of routing.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e6zStfw.gif
#15TalesOfGodPosted 12/20/2013 11:47:00 PM
Szymaa posted...
Standard topic, asking for PCH's opinions on the game.

My RTS experience is limited to various C&C titles and dabbling in the original Starcraft and Age of Empires.

Is Total War fun for a non-obsessive RTS fan?

To answer your question TC.

Yes, the Total War series is fantastic for any person.

I rarely play RTS games (I have never played C&C, didn't like StarCraft or Age of Empires) but I LOVE the Total War series.

I even introduced it to quite a few friends who have never touched a RTS game in their life and they got hooked instantly.

Anyways, I would strongly recommend the following games from the series and their expansions:

Rome
Napoleon
Medieval 2 (Best one in my opinion)
Shogun 2

These games are the cream of the crop although I may be forgetting one..
*Rome 2 perhaps after they ****ing fix it up so DO NOT TOUCH IT and buy the other ones for now*
#16GyrospeckPosted 12/20/2013 11:54:57 PM
Its alright. Good for a TW game, but the series is very simple and won't hold the attention of a veteran strategy gamer. Given your past strategy experience, you may really enjoy it, however.
#17Grimlink132Posted 12/20/2013 11:58:48 PM
its great, but im awful at it, and it severely hindered my enjoyment from it because it made me realize how dumb i am.
#18ZukkusPosted 12/21/2013 12:12:58 AM
One of the better Total War games. Fall of the Samurai expansion is pretty fun, too.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#19SienrurouniPosted 12/21/2013 2:56:26 AM
It's a pretty awesome game, and I'd definitely recommend it, although I haven't played too much of it. I played more of Medieval 2, but I've just spent a lot more time in Civ than in the Total War games.
wdfoster posted...
You wouldah bringuh greatah dishonour to not purchase Shogun 2.

I can't help but think that you're Jar Jar Binks.
---
"You may not believe this, but I was once a remarkable man,"
-Denny Crane
#20teh r0x0rPosted 12/21/2013 3:25:22 AM
I have put three hundred and twenty two hours into this game and its expansions. At the price it is, it is an absolute bargain.