This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's your opinion on early access games?

#11Orestes417Posted 12/20/2013 9:09:39 PM
I take no issue with them provided there's a set of firm expectations as far as a deliverable timetable at the time of buy in.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#12DV8ingSourcesPosted 12/20/2013 9:12:58 PM
KidInTheHall posted...
DV8ingSources posted...
It's just another option for us and developers. Nothing is forcing either to use it. I like having the ability to choose. I have yet to buy an early access game but I'm all for it. Ideally, they'd have a separate area on the main page dedicated to them though.

^ Yes you did. Arma III was early access.

Oh damn you are correct good sir. I did buy it satisfied with what was already there though. Can't really say that I'd feel the same about most of the other titles that fall within the category though. Grim Dawn and Assetto Corsa have piqued my interest but not quite enough.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#13reincarnator07Posted 12/21/2013 4:19:44 AM
So long as they are clearly labeled as incomplete or buggy.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#14WyzeGyePosted 12/21/2013 4:21:43 AM
I'm ok with early access. Without it, we'd have preorders, and still have to wait for the game to come out. This way you get to experience it and watch the game grow from it's infancy to a completed product, and usually at a discounted price.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#15Omnipotent_CowPosted 12/21/2013 5:03:09 AM
I don't buy incomplete games, and Steam gives little fanfare when they are completed, so trying to keep an eye on games I might be interested in is kind of a pain in the butt.
#16battlfrnt2006Posted 12/21/2013 5:12:33 AM
Pokenub posted...
Knight2520 posted...
How about in between? Good if done well, bad if not.

---
GT: CapraDaemon / PSN (Vita/PSP): mtllica / SteamID: falloutnut
Now Playing: Starbound, Ys Celceta, Skyrim (PC), Phantasy Star Portable 2
#17TheWhoFanPosted 12/21/2013 6:25:07 AM
Knight2520 posted...
How about in between? Good if done well, bad if not.

We don't like that kind of reasonable and well-argumented logic in here, son.
---
PC + 3DS. Every single time.
#18The_DeskPosted 12/21/2013 7:02:29 AM
Halfway in-between. I think they can be a great thing but in some cases it's doing more harm then good by keeping them in the Alpha/Beta longer due to tying up resources.
#19Ch3wyPosted 12/21/2013 7:05:04 AM
I have a couple problems with them.

For one they shouldn't get the spotlight on Steam. They're incomplete games and they should have a separate section, they shouldn't be on the front page of the Steam store.

And also the perpetual alpha/beta thing. While crowd sourcing is sometimes essential, too much crowd sourcing can delay production. If they aren't using that money to hire more developers, they're just buying time with it.

I think it's a bad idea to buy incomplete games in the first place too, just because it could very well be stale to you by the time it's complete. I'd rather my most enjoyable experience with the game be when it's complete. For example I played a lot of Minecraft when it was alpha, by the time the full game released I didn't have any interest any more.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#20bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2013 2:13:07 PM
Very surprised at how split this is.
---
If it wasn't for balla spouting bs over the years my post count would be way lower. It's not that serious - supergamerbret