This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are there any games that are Nvidia only?

#11AsellusPosted 12/20/2013 9:20:24 PM
Ah good, so no actual games REQUIRE PhysX. I think I can live without PhysX enhanced smoke effects :P

No, there are plenty of games that require PhysX. There are, however, no games that require GPU-accelerated PhysX.
#12Snuckie7Posted 12/20/2013 9:22:01 PM
Yuniuninuniun posted...
But trust me games that utilize physX are terrible without it. Compare Borderlands 2 with and without and you've got a completely different game.

How would I ever live without all that extra smoke that covers the whole screen in ACIV?

I like PhysX too but this is just hilarious.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | - | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#13DV8ingSourcesPosted 12/20/2013 9:25:06 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
How would I ever live without all that extra smoke that covers the whole screen in ACIV?

To be fair the smoke can easily cover the whole screen even before physx... Its just more dynamic now. I love the smoke rings from the pistols and the extra debris from shooting ships. Really nothing to write home about but an improvement nonetheless if you don't take too much of a performance hit. I have a 670 physx card at the moment so its practically free performance wise.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#14Snuckie7Posted 12/20/2013 9:28:34 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
Snuckie7 posted...

To be fair the smoke can easily cover the whole screen even before physx... Its just more dynamic now. I love the smoke rings from the pistols and the extra debris from shooting ships. Really nothing to write home about but an improvement nonetheless if you don't take too much of a performance hit. I have a 670 physx card at the moment so its practically free performance wise.

Well from Nvidia's own video, it appears that pistol smoke obscures your vision much easier. I haven't seen it in person but it looks like one of the few times where I'd actually keep PhysX off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6a4MbYAPFU
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | - | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#15killkountPosted 12/20/2013 9:45:30 PM
I'm playing Arkham Origins with my 290 and PhysX without much impact at all. Might be different for Borderlands - if I can even enable it in the first place. I was surprised when I could enable it in Batman. I'm honestly going to miss it in games where it simply won't allow me to use it or if it does but I take too much of a performance hit from it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/XqIF7rn.gif
#16killkountPosted 12/20/2013 10:20:11 PM(edited)
Playing Borderlands 2 with PhysX max settings etc etc... 290 is also only hitting 50c so it's clearly not a very demanding game at all.
---
http://i.imgur.com/XqIF7rn.gif
#17wizardmonPosted 12/20/2013 10:23:09 PM
The only game I remember that would only boot with a Nvidia card was Bridge-It back when it released.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#18AceallwaysPosted 12/20/2013 10:28:10 PM
Lord of the Rings War in the North works on my 2 nVidia cards but crashes non-stop on my 3 AMD cards.
#19DarkZV2BetaPosted 12/20/2013 10:55:24 PM(edited)
WyzeGye posted...
the closest you'll get are games that are broken with various AMD driver versions, but work fine on nVidia drivers.

It does happen, and so does the reverse. Similarly, some games just don't work on AMD CPUs, and I'd wager there's a game or two that are broken on Intel processors, rare as it may be.

Mostly very niche indie/doujin games, and more often you'll get OS compatibility problems over hardware compatibility problems.

Edit: Motherboard chipsets, too. Can't forget that. And some soundcards can break some games.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#20BogePosted 12/20/2013 11:28:29 PM
PhysX isn't impressive. I have a 670 and have played Batman and Borderlands with max PhysX. You actually won't even notice it unless you're paying attention. It does absolutely NOTHING for gameplay. It's not worth buying an Nvidia card for PhysX.
---
And so he prophesied that the sheeple will follow the stupid, and the stupid will rule the Earth.