This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trying to determine a problem with my computer. Help?

#1snae99Posted 12/21/2013 12:41:58 AM
Ok so recently my computer has been acting up. It will randomly crash at times while I'm browsing the internet and if it's on for too long it randomly goes into power save mode and I can't bring it out of it except by restarting it.

Before it crashes or goes into power save it'll start slowing down a lot. Sometimes I'll try to go into task manager from the ctrl+alt+del menu and it'll just go into power save mode when I do.

My GPU and CPU temps seem fine, idk what's going on. I posted about this about a week or two ago and I was told to use CrystalDiskInfo to check my HDD, but it says that it's fine too.
---
Currently playing: Kirby Super Star and Super Mario 3D World
GOTY so far: Fire Emblem Awakening
#2TimePharaohPosted 12/21/2013 12:42:42 AM
k
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#3_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 12/21/2013 5:58:21 AM
Possibly the crashes and the power save mode are unrelated. The first thing I would check is your power options that you can access through the control panel (it is under the system and security tab). Just make sure you have it on high performance, and review the setting of high performance. Though i do not think this is the source of your problem from what you describe.

Are you sure it is the PC going into power save mode, not the monitor?

There are multiple things that could be an issue here, like the battery on your motherboard being dead (and hence not being able to get out of powersave mode).
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#4snae99(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2013 11:33:52 PM
Well my computer just froze while playing a game so there definitely is something wrong with my hardware.

I'm narrowing it down to my motherboard or power supply because CPU, GPU and HDD seem fine. Not sure about ram but I don't think that's it. How would I even go about testing if the issue is the mobo or power supply?
---
#5NakkaruPosted 12/23/2013 11:44:14 PM
Do you use an Nvidia card? I've been having this exact same issue, it pops up every few months since this summer. Normally I have to flash the BIOS in order for the computer to boot up again. Updating my drivers seems to have helped, but also I for some reason think my keyboard was causing the problems. I know it sounds bizarre, but ever since using this old keyboard the problems went away. What do you use for a keyboard?
---
Pokemon X ~ 3668-7694-5178 ~ Braixen, Slugma [Safari]
PM me anytime! Looking for active, friendly players on 3DS and Steam [Nakkaru]
#6snae99(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2013 12:00:51 AM
It's a standard old dell keyboard I had ages ago, im planning on replacing it soon but idk it does seem odd that it would be the problem. As for my card its a GTX 560 ti.
---
#7mccue166Posted 12/24/2013 12:02:03 AM
What processor and mobo are you using?
---
4770k, MSI MPower mobo, 16gb Corsair Dominator 2133MHz, Gigabyte Windforce 7970, 120gb 840 EVO, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Nanoxia Deep Silence 1, Corsair AX860
#8snae99(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2013 12:06:03 AM
CPU is i5 2500k (not OC'd)

motherboard is Gigabyte Z68-MA
---
#9NakkaruPosted 12/24/2013 12:11:09 AM
Hm. It's just because whenever the slowdown would happen with web browsing, I'd have a display driver crash and recovery, and my keyboard would stop working. Then soon enough, grinds to a halt. Does that happen to you?
---
Pokemon X ~ 3668-7694-5178 ~ Braixen, Slugma [Safari]
PM me anytime! Looking for active, friendly players on 3DS and Steam [Nakkaru]