This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I can't get into my BIOS - WIndows 8.1 & SSD - no UEFI settings

#1SpringerPosted 12/21/2013 2:58:25 PM
My GPU isn't working and I think (wishful thinking) that I can change my primary graphics to my GPU my GPU would start working (it's currently not working)

The problem is that my SSD boots Windows 8 so fast that I can't access the BIOS that way.

There has to be a way where it doesn't give me unlimited time to look at the BIOS.

Because my eyes cannot even visibly detect now if they want me to push f2 or delete to reach the bios and even then I don't think I could react that quickly anyways.

Thanks for any insight.
---
**** taco bell
**** Matt Kenseth
#2WerdnAndreWPosted 12/21/2013 2:59:42 PM
Windows has no affect on how fast the bios (post) loads up.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#3Madmicky933Posted 12/21/2013 3:16:21 PM
First of all, Windows 8 and 8.1 is just horrible. Windows 7 is superior.

Second, Windows has no affect on the BIOS. So you should be okay there.
---
Karma... Is a powerful force..
#4ZeroRaiderPosted 12/21/2013 3:23:02 PM
Madmicky933 posted...

This post is cancer. Windows 8 is everything Windows 7 is and better.

Anyways, OP, here's a post from Someone Who Actually Knows What The Hell They're Talking About™:

This behavior is caused by the way Windows 8 handles hibernation. In order to shut down and start up so quickly, it uses a modified form of hibernation instead of doing a cold boot. Unfortunately this has the effect of many motherboards seeing starting a Windows 8 PC as coming out of hibernation when you power them on instead of starting up from a cold boot, which does not give you the ability to access the BIOS.

You can shut off hibernation entirely by running this in a command prompt as an administrator:
powercfg -h off

You can also leave hibernation turned on and thus continue enjoying Windows 8's impressive start-up/shut-down times by just using this command to force Windows 8 to do a cold shutdown instead of its hybrid hibernation function when you want to access your BIOS:
shutdown /s /t 0

I leave this command in a .bat file on my desktop.

Your BIOS boot screen should now be accessible.

-Someone Who Actually Knows What The Hell They're Talking About™ signing off.
#5steveboblarryPosted 12/21/2013 3:25:28 PM
Madmicky933 posted...

Its not horrible, its just not mean't for desktops
---
"Why let the modding community do it, when we can sell it to you?"
yours truly, EA.
#6wildog2006Posted 12/21/2013 3:40:09 PM
ZeroRaider posted...
Madmicky933 posted...

This post is cancer. Windows 8 is everything Windows 7 is and better.

Anyways, OP, here's a post from Someone Who Actually Knows What The Hell They're Talking About™:

This behavior is caused by the way Windows 8 handles hibernation. In order to shut down and start up so quickly, it uses a modified form of hibernation instead of doing a cold boot. Unfortunately this has the effect of many motherboards seeing starting a Windows 8 PC as coming out of hibernation when you power them on instead of starting up from a cold boot, which does not give you the ability to access the BIOS.

You can shut off hibernation entirely by running this in a command prompt as an administrator:
powercfg -h off

You can also leave hibernation turned on and thus continue enjoying Windows 8's impressive start-up/shut-down times by just using this command to force Windows 8 to do a cold shutdown instead of its hybrid hibernation function when you want to access your BIOS:
shutdown /s /t 0

I leave this command in a .bat file on my desktop.

Your BIOS boot screen should now be accessible.

-Someone Who Actually Knows What The Hell They're Talking About™ signing off.

You can also disable hybrid sleep (what it's called btw) under power options in the control panel. It's pointless if you've got a SSD and I've seen it cause more problems than it's worth.

-Other Guy That Actually Knows What The Hell He's Talking About®
---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.
#7gastamanPosted 12/21/2013 4:42:39 PM(edited)
ZeroRaider posted...
You can also leave hibernation turned on and thus continue enjoying Windows 8's impressive start-up/shut-down times by just using this command to force Windows 8 to do a cold shutdown instead of its hybrid hibernation function when you want to access your BIOS:shutdown /s /t 0

You could also just do a restart. When you restart, instead of shutdown, Windows 8 does a full, clean cold boot.

wildog2006 posted...
hybrid sleep (what it's called btw)

It's actually called Fast Startup.

WerdnAndreW posted...
Windows has no affect on how fast the bios (post) loads up.

Also, this...
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200