This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Used windows 8 for the first time today

#1NEMESIS 00039Posted 12/21/2013 6:55:32 PM
I've never had so much issues with a windows OS. I've had less issues with both ME and Vista compared to 8. Words cannot describe how much I hate the touchscreen style UI. I had to try for like 2 hours for it to connect to our wireless router while everything else took only like 15 minutes to set up. This wasn't a trying to search for the settings problem this was a won't work right with the wireless router issue. The new windows update with 8 is complete ****. I've tried to update to windows 8.1 but nooooo can't download from a website have to download from that crappy app store. I swear anytime the computer even tried to sleep the download got broken and I had to restart. Very glad I never tried installing 8 onto my main computer. WHY COULDN'T THEY KEEP EVERYTHING SIMPLE!
#2Flaktrooper123Posted 12/21/2013 7:01:26 PM
I think it is because, starting Vista, Microsoft starts to believe that most computer users are dumb. They make it harder to access and modify the security features (like that annoying login password). It is still possible of course, but you probably need to google them instead of just looking for them in the control panel.

Oh, one other thing. If you ever think of upgrading to 8.1 which is free by the way, make sure you UNINSTALL AND DEACTIVATE your antivirus before you upgrade. Then try installing it again. You will get yourself a mess otherwise.
#3fataliPosted 12/21/2013 7:05:26 PM
Weird, I had my antivirus running when I updated, and didn't had any problems at all.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#4Flaktrooper123Posted 12/21/2013 7:07:46 PM
Depend on your antivirus probably. I used Kaspersky and it just won't run on 8.1. I have seen in other forums that people having the same problems with other antivirus. I am not sure what yours is, I am just thinking better be safe than sorry.
#5aak57Posted 12/21/2013 7:07:57 PM
I don't really see what 8 had to do with you taking 2 hours to set up a router, and downloading the update from the app store isn't exactly a big deal.

W8 has issues, but yours don't really have to do with it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#6Auron_59261Posted 12/21/2013 7:12:43 PM
You sound like my grandmother lol.
---
i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz [] HIS IceQ X^2 7970 |1200|1600|3GB| [] 16GB Ripjaws Z 1866 [] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [] 250GB Samsung 840 [] 2TB Barracuda [] CX 600 PSU [] H110
#7NEMESIS 00039(Topic Creator)Posted 12/21/2013 7:23:58 PM
aak57 posted...
I don't really see what 8 had to do with you taking 2 hours to set up a router, and downloading the update from the app store isn't exactly a big deal.

W8 has issues, but yours don't really have to do with it.

The router worked just fine. Everything else connected just fine but the windows 8 computer always got stuck in limited connection mode which I managed to fix by turning off the whole allow the computer to turn off this connection to save power. This is a desktop why would I want the damn connected to get turned off to save power? I also still had issues with it going into limited mode after that.
#8stav8Posted 12/27/2013 1:06:35 PM
Flaktrooper123 posted...
I think it is because, starting Vista, Microsoft starts to believe that most computer users are dumb. They make it harder to access and modify the security features (like that annoying login password). It is still possible of course, but you probably need to google them instead of just looking for them in the control panel.

Oh, one other thing. If you ever think of upgrading to 8.1 which is free by the way, make sure you UNINSTALL AND DEACTIVATE your antivirus before you upgrade. Then try installing it again. You will get yourself a mess otherwise.

Seriously you've hit nail on head. Most computer users are dumb that is why everything is hidden away. Had our admin on win8.1, supposed to know computers and complained about not been able to leave metro but they deleted desktop panel believing that it wasn't supposed to be there. And the amount of pcs I've repaired to user error is unreal
#9Killah PriestPosted 12/27/2013 1:07:50 PM
Windows 8 is fantastic.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#10Tony_Biggie_PunPosted 12/27/2013 1:10:26 PM
Download Classic Shell and all your problems are fixed