This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question for people using their credit cards for Steam sales.

#11CatToyPosted 12/22/2013 1:08:17 PM
I use a debit card, they called once a few years back to verify that it was me making the purchases like Somebody said, hasn't happened again.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#12su27ChaosPosted 12/22/2013 1:32:38 PM
It's not a big deal. I used have cards freeze more than once due to surge of purchases every few months. It's annoying but its simple.
---
American products is good go buy them.
#13Killah PriestPosted 12/22/2013 1:53:35 PM
The worst was when I waited in line at walmart for an xbox 360 during launch.

waited outside in the cold for a decent amount of time, get in the store wait some more, finally get it about to check out... my card was froze because it was like 1am and I was trying to make a huge purchase...

thankfully they rang up my cellphone almost right away after that and unblocked it while I was still there.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#14CardigansFanPosted 12/22/2013 1:57:34 PM
It happens to me almost every Steam sale, which is why I try to lump as much into one purchase as I can (waiting a day to get something from current sale, past day's sale, and/or flash sale). And every time I call them, they inform me of possible fraud blah blah blah. It's great that I'm protected as such, but it blows at the same time.
---
Galaxy Note 3 * 3DS XL
NX300 * VModa M80
#15kbe2k2Posted 12/22/2013 2:12:49 PM(edited)
Hasn't happened to me since 2009 but I was buying lots of games back then. In all my experiences it was Valve's end flagging my card because I'd call the bank and they would tell me there wasn't even a transaction attempt or anything.

Here's some info from support tickets that explains what happens.

"Your account has more activity than the average user meaning many more variables are present on your account. Due to the recent number of purchases being made on your account, the system was automatically flagged."

By system they meant my card number.

This is what happened after my next purchase.

"Due to the risk of fraud our billing system is automated, and will put a lock on any account that fails authorization at any point during the verification process."

That kept on happening after every purchase to the point where I gave up and started to use Paypal, now the wallet and gift cards are an option, so if you plan on making multiple purchases a day I'd use one of those options.

If this does happen to you, to save time give them your account name, billing address, last 4 digits ONLY of the cc number and expiry date and they can unflag it, if you miss any of that info they will msg you again asking for it and the process will take even longer and you'll miss out on sales.
#16SlaynPosted 12/22/2013 2:40:17 PM
Anyone remember that Walmart website malfunctioning a little while back? That is the only problem I had with my credit card. Otherwise I have never had a Steam issue.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#17cody4783Posted 12/22/2013 2:40:22 PM
Depends entirely on your bank. Personally, I've never had an issue with mine, even when making a half or dozen $1-5 purchases in a couple days.

As of late with the Steam Wallet being implemented, I've started just dropping $10 or so in my wallet and then buying the $1-5 games using that instead. If only to not clog up my account statements; Anything over $10 I just buy directly on the card.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#18Odin of KpxPosted 12/22/2013 3:23:41 PM
I've had my debit card frozen during Steam sales tons of times. You just call the bank, verify that it is you making the purchases, and they immediately allow you to resume your spending. It takes all of about 5 minutes to get your card unfrozen.
#19cody4783Posted 12/22/2013 3:44:52 PM
^And on that note...I've got to say it actually bugs me more that people are *upset* when their bank freezes their card or locks it temporarily for mass purchases or in the case of what happened with GreenManGaming customers, locking because it came back as an overseas gambling site.

Yeah, it's a minor inconvenience, and it takes some input to call them and get it corrected. But they're doing their job in actually protecting your finances. If your card information was stolen and someone actually DID go out racking up a ton of purchases or using it for gambling and they did nothing, you'd probably be pretty pissed.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#20shdwdrgnixPosted 12/22/2013 7:48:45 PM
it's the main reason I use vanilla cards for Steam