This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will Witcher 2 not play on a Retina Macbook 13"?

#1Aragorn428777Posted 12/22/2013 2:41:25 PM
Just bought the newest rMBP, and I see TW2 is $4.99 on steam, but I'm a bit confused on some of the compatibility specs...

I have Intel Iris (not Iris Pro) graphics, so I'm not sure which games are and aren't compatible with it. Hoping to get into some MMORPGs too, but again, not sure if my computer will work
---
My Top 5 Games this Gen: The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Mass Effect 2
#2KaushadPosted 12/22/2013 3:14:51 PM
so... integrated graphics?
Yes, intel integrated graphics will play the witcher 2 maxed out, with ubersampling, which makes even modern high end machines cry and beg for mercy.

In all seriousness, you should be able to play... well.. world of warcraft I suppose, my i5/ hd4000 runs it well on medium ish settings. Not a whole lot of modern games though.
---
Let us assume that for the sake of assumption that I am always right.
#3DerPancakePosted 12/22/2013 3:17:20 PM
Isnt that better than HD4600? if yes then you can easily play at medium settings.
---
http://i.imgur.com/mng6Lqf.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/mxvh3ut - Taylor Swift: Queen of Pop.
#4ShubPosted 12/22/2013 3:48:00 PM(edited)
Most games should be compatible with Intel HD 5100 (a.k.a. Iris), the question is not compatibility, but how well it will run. I can guarantee it won't run well at 2560x1600 (the screen's native resolution) but if you set the resolution to 1280x800 and keep the details on low or something, it should run OK... I have the same laptop and do have Witcher 2 but I don't have it installed so I can't tell you how it runs.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5Aragorn428777(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2013 8:11:47 AM
Well y'all have me hopeful, but doesn't the compatibility section say that Intel integrated chips aren't supported for the game?

But if it IS playable, my graphics card will have enough power to show the games quality graphics? And yes, it is iris 5100
---
My Top 5 Games this Gen: The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Mass Effect 2
#6ShubPosted 12/23/2013 8:47:10 AM
Like I mentioned, I can't test it for you because I don't have the game installed, but if what the requirements say is accurate and the native Mac OS X version of the game does not support Intel HD Graphics, you may need to install Windows through Boot Camp and run the game that way.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#7PraetorXynPosted 12/23/2013 9:13:20 AM
It's not that it won't run at all; it almost certainly will run.
It's just that it will run like poop, especially at that laptop's native resolution.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#8Aragorn428777(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2013 4:21:18 PM
So it's basically because the game isnt optimized for a retina display yet., correct?

If i downloaded it, there would be a way within the game to adjust my display for the optimal settings, or would i have to adjust my display settings and THEN try the game?
---
#9g7g7g7g7Posted 12/23/2013 4:27:36 PM
Aragorn428777 posted...
So it's basically because the game isnt optimized for a retina display yet., correct?

If i downloaded it, there would be a way within the game to adjust my display for the optimal settings, or would i have to adjust my display settings and THEN try the game?

No...

The game is pretty well optimised, its just that your macbook does not have a dedicated 3d card and it will run like pants.
---
You never see people quoting each other in sigs anymore. - Adam Laz
#10DragnfyrPosted 12/23/2013 4:29:04 PM
No it's because our MacBooks don't have the power to run games at retina resolutions. Actually many high end desktop cards will also struggle at native retina resolution.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs