This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will we ever be able to personally make laptops the same way and scale as PCs?

#1bsballa09Posted 12/22/2013 7:26:19 PM
Such as buying the parts and putting it together yourself instead of having a third party let you choose the parts and build it themselves?
---
If it wasn't for balla spouting bs over the years my post count would be way lower. It's not that serious - supergamerbret
#2PokenubPosted 12/22/2013 7:32:13 PM
When it happens, it'll be very expensive, but I'd assume so.
---
XBOX 360 GT: Invghost
Not looking forward to any games now.
#3bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2013 7:42:16 PM
Pokenub posted...
When it happens, it'll be very expensive, but I'd assume so.

Why would they be very expensive? Compared to PCs, yes, but compared to having third parties build it for you, I wouldn't think so.
---
If it wasn't for balla spouting bs over the years my post count would be way lower. It's not that serious - supergamerbret
#4DragnfyrPosted 12/22/2013 7:44:03 PM
The main problem is that it's hard to get a laptop into a very small form factor and still have standardized part sizes.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.9 | Windows 8.1 Pro
#5KabtheMentatPosted 12/22/2013 7:45:50 PM
Because manufacturing tiny ass components is a pain in the ass and costs a lot more. That's why laptops that are comparable to decent gaming PCs are like almost twice as expensive.

And building it yourself would just be a headache waiting to happen. Reason desktops are partially so easy to build is because most of the components are fairly large and easy to deal with.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#6bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2013 8:17:19 PM
And building it yourself would just be a headache waiting to happen. Reason desktops are partially so easy to build is because most of the components are fairly large and easy to deal with.

We should still have that option to do it ourselves though.
---
#7TrueKuPosted 12/22/2013 8:54:15 PM
Industry is moving away from that...

And moving towards SoC with all the chips on the board..

And people want thin and light..

Who's going to make laptops all modular-like?

What's the incentive?

How many people would pay extra for expandability? Zero... they're all cheap skates that want to get the best deal on each component.

While there's plenty of people that pay extra for compact, light, thin laptops.

Standardization means you go out and get the cheapest generic parts from third parties.
And the guys that invest to make everything open don't make their money back...
---
Chief Scientician
#8TrueKuPosted 12/22/2013 8:58:47 PM
Then who's going to make all these available parts...?

Are you going to solder the chips onto the board yourself?

Just build a mini itx computer and duct tape a monitor and battery to it.
---
Chief Scientician
#9Flaktrooper123Posted 12/22/2013 9:00:34 PM
I just hope they start to make removable video cards for laptop, just a small PCB that can be plugged in like PCI slots. They also should make the processor removable.
#10TrueKuPosted 12/22/2013 9:03:51 PM(edited)
Turns out MSI already tried this with the Whitebook.

People aren't willing to pay more for open design.

PC can't make money on crap-ware either this way.
---
Chief Scientician