This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What games have you bought this sale--and what're your impressions of each game?

#1Arsene-LupinPosted 12/22/2013 8:17:11 PM
80/80

Two questions: what are the games you've bought during the winter sales this week (ANY sales, Steam, GOG, Humble Bundle, etc.) and what are your impressions--what do you think--of each game? And if you can, maybe post how much you were able to buy each game for.

I'll start things out.

The Walking Dead: 400 Days ($1.24; Steam)

Rogue Legacy ($4.94; Steam)
I love the concept, but goddamn is this game hard! Not sure how long it'll keep me entertained. It does seem to have a lot of content and unlockables, as well as a nifty sense of humor and lots of cool little details to catch.

Far Cry 3 ($7.49; Steam)
Probably the best "AAA" game I've played in a long time. The story is garbage, the gunplay is servicable, and you're forced to play as a really stupid, really stereotypical trust-fund douchebag, but the game world is FANTASTIC. It's so cool just exploring a jungle filled with exotic birds and animals. First time I saw a jaguar get into a fight with a komodo dragon I got so excited and distracted watching the fight I missed the other two Komodo dragons circling around behind me. So much fun. And I've also heard there's a sizable modding community, which is great.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit ($1.39; Steam)
I guess it's a "tactical rogue-like?" So far, it's been pretty easy, but a lot of fun and a lot of content to explore. The only real problem is that all it is is a set of combat mechanics--very, very good combat mechanics--but the game would be so much better if they were coupled with RPG-style narrative and/or side-questing. A lot of fun, but not enough "meat" to keep me entertained for too long.

Monaco ($2.99; Steam)
Found out about this game during a long search for the name of another indie game I'm really excited for, Incognita. Gave it a try. It's pixel art, which I usually hate, but a very solid game nonetheless. I haven't played too much of it, but it seems like it would be a fantastic co-op game.

Freespace ($2.49; GOG.com)
Come on. This is the second-best science-fiction flight combat game of all time, second only to its sequel (which I got off GOG a long time ago). I don't feel like dusting off my joystick so I'm going to try and set up gamepad controls. Has anyone ever tried a FS game with a gamepad? Does it work well? This is one of the best games of all time IMHO, so any of you poor sods who haven't given it a whirl should hop on over to GOG before the sale ends.

Jade Empire Special Edition ($4.99; GOG.com)
Haven't had a chance to do more with the game than verify that it does, in fact, work on my PC--which cannot be said of the Steam version. So if you want JE, buy the GOG version instead of the Steam version. I haven't had a chance to play much of it yet, but played it a long time ago on Xbox and loved it. It's a great kung-fu RPG based on Chinese wuxia films and mythology. I hope to find some good mods for it. The only problem with the game is a bit of a big one--it ends so rapidly as to feel half-finished. Or, well, 1/4 finished. (There's only 1 city and 1 town in the whole game).

Guacamelee ($7.49; Humble Bundle Store)
OH MY GOD IN HEAVEN! I LOVE THIS GAME! I cannot sing its praises enough. This is a "metroidvania" game, but way, way, way, way better than any Metroid or Castlevania game I've ever played. I can't believe it took me so long to buy it. Easily a contender for my personal "Game of the Year."

Don't Starve ($4.99; Humble Bundle Store)
Another great game. A survival/crafting game. I dunno what to call it. love it. If Guacamelee is my #1 game on this list, Don't Starve is definitely #2. (Far Cry 3 #3).
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#2NakkaruPosted 12/22/2013 8:23:56 PM
So far all I bought was the last Sleeping Dogs DLC so I could finally perfect the game, and crafted the Snow Globe badge. I'm hoping Saints Row IV goes on a great sale.

I bought Far Cry 3 during the last sale though, so I'll just count that here. Taking outposts stealthily is one of the most fun things I've done in awhile, plus the game just looks great. Some pretty fun missions, too, and that German guy is hilarious. Otherwise I wish Jason and the rest of his merry band of whiny runts perish in a fiery plane crash so we never hear from them again.
---
Pokemon X ~ 3668-7694-5178 ~ Braixen, Slugma [Safari]
PM me anytime! Looking for active, friendly players on 3DS and Steam [Nakkaru]
#3Jprime666Posted 12/22/2013 8:54:24 PM
The only thing that I've played yet that I bought has been ducktales. And it's meeting my expectations.

I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a platformer that isn't a brutal super meat boy esque game or isn't a puzzle platformer like most of the indie ones.
---
Get ready for Kanji Tatsumi to show his manhood to these chicks! - Kanji Tatsumi
#4ZethPosted 12/22/2013 9:51:19 PM
I've bought Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut and La Mulana

Having played the original DX:HR, I already know it'll be great. Haven't played La Mulana yet
---
"Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
3DS FC: 5172 0388 6449
#5TiamatKillerPosted 12/22/2013 9:54:49 PM
3DMark for 2.50

Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate for 7.50

Rogue Legacy for 5.00

I only have my Mac while I'm back at my house, so I haven't decided whether or not I'll install Rogue Legacy now, or just wait till I get back to the dorms and my desktop.
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 560Ti (2GB) @900MHz | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Samsung 840 (250GB) | 1TB Seagate 7200rpm | 8GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912
#6crazyray47Posted 12/22/2013 10:28:12 PM
Jprime666 posted...
The only thing that I've played yet that I bought has been ducktales. And it's meeting my expectations.

I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a platformer that isn't a brutal super meat boy esque game or isn't a puzzle platformer like most of the indie ones.

The graphics are so much better than the original, they really made it work with the HD upgrade. I enjoyed playing it with my kids who just saw the ducktales characters on a christmas show.
#7ArkonBladePosted 12/22/2013 10:39:35 PM
I haven't bought much. Just Aliens CM (and only cause it was $2) Far cry 3, grotesque tactics 1 and 2, Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition, Star control 1, 2 , and 3. That's about it so far. haven't played any of them. I have about 140 other games I haven't played yet so still slowly working my way down that list lol.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#8spud_almightyPosted 12/22/2013 11:09:00 PM
Resident evil 6 - No where near as bad as reviews made out. Controls are smooth, graphics are VERY nice and the story isn't too bad. Beats the hell out of the previous game, which isn't hard to do.

Lost Planet -Replacing my XBOX copy, plays alot better on pc.

Chivarly - Good idea, badly made.

Final Fantasy 7 - 20 years and I'm still **** at this game!
#9dekouPosted 12/23/2013 1:31:43 AM
Shogun 2: 20 Gb download on a 512 kb/s connection. I'm weeping and want my high-speed interwebs back.
#10Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 12/25/2013 5:29:50 PM
Bumping for Xmas.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."