This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Computer randomly shut off until I turned off Turbo Boost.

#1RussianRainbowPosted 12/23/2013 3:52:39 AM
Computer started randomly shutting off in the last week or so. It normally did it when I would play a game, but sometimes even browsing the internet. Checked hard drive and RAM and it was good. Checked temps, i5-4670k never broke 50c. GTX 770 SC never broke 80C.

I don't have extra hardware at the moment to really troubleshoot so I tried turning off Turbo Boost and it hasn't shut off yet. It said it turbo boosted up to 4Ghz using OCCT, but hit 4.2 when playing CPU intensive games like BF4.

Is it possible the turbo boost somehow became unstable or perhaps my PSU is crapping out and couldn't handle the power draw?

Rig is i5-4670k, Asus Sabertooth, EVGA GTX 770 SC, 8GB G. Skill Sniper, 1TB Western Digital, and Antec Earthwatts 650.
---
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
#2SuigintouEVPosted 12/23/2013 7:39:02 AM(edited)
I'm using a 600W evga power supply and I have my 4670k at 4.4ghz stable so i think your power supply can handle the current draw which is next to nothing for these processors, unless it's faulty.

My advice is to overclock manually first and isolate variables. Drop down the cpu to stock clock speeds first to see if the issue is:

- high GPU current draw
- faulty RAM - run memtest and also check the timings and voltage match spec
- CPU instability - run 10 passes of intel burn test and four hours of AIDA64 Stability Stress Test (CPU + FPU )
- CPU overheating - Try AIDA64 FPU test with all other stress tests disabled. But i think you said this wasnt the problem.

If the cpu is in fact the culprit revealed as you start raising clock speeds, i would advise

1) raising core voltage to handle the higher clocks. Automatic overclockers might not have a hang of it
2) dropping variance in core voltage down to 0.010v
3) dropping the uncore frequency down from 3800 to about 3400mhz - some haswells need this to run stable above 4ghz
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#3RussianRainbow(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2013 7:19:39 PM
Bump for more advice.
---
#4AltmadragonPosted 12/23/2013 7:30:01 PM
How long have you had the psu & do you never turnoff your tower
---
Ha! Made you read |TJ07| i5-3570k| Asus p8z77-v| GB GTX 770 4gb sli|16gb Corsair veng| 1TB WD HDx2| 128gb Samsung ssd| XSPC Raystorm RS360 kit|
#5RussianRainbow(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2013 10:45:04 PM
Altmadragon posted...
How long have you had the psu & do you never turnoff your tower

August 2010, and it normally stays on 24/7. Just started doing this shut off stuff recently but it's stayed on since Turbo Boost has been off.
---
#6PhilOnDezPosted 12/23/2013 11:35:30 PM
I have an Antec Neo Eco 620 and a 3570k clocked at 4.4ghz, so long as everything is working at spec you shouldn't be having problems with power draw.

Since it's just randomly shutting down it doesn't really sound like instability either, but instability can be weird. Usually instability will cause a blue screen, though not every time, I've had my PC lock up or blue screen, never just shut down though.

I think Suigin gave the best advice though. Go for a fully manual overclock, don't leave anything on automatic. If the clock speed/instability was the culprit it should make itself clear pretty quick.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#7RussianRainbow(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2013 4:10:58 AM
I'm going to manually overclock but I was more curious about the Intel Turbo Boost.

Isn't it normally stable? I've had the new motherboard and CPU for about two months now. Was running fine with the Turbo Boost the entire time. Could play Battlefield 4, etc for hours before this past week or so.
---