This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there any chance for someone that didn't like Morrowind to like Skyrim?

#21wizardmonPosted 12/23/2013 11:33:05 PM
CM_Mojica posted...
Sometimes morrowind defenders can be absolutely pathetic. ...

http://youtu.be/J7zQRZ9_22k
I'm currently installing Morrowind again right now.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#22monkmithPosted 12/23/2013 11:35:05 PM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
Frustration at Morrowind's combat just means you have no imagination, and you should just stick to playing something with explosions.

why do people defend morrowind's combat system. it was BAD, no two ways about it. the dice roll system meant that most of the time you were hitting air early on, i vividly remember being beaten to death by one of the residents of Seyda Neen because i wanted his house and he didn't want to move. i had a sword and armor and he had fists...

yeah, changing it in oblivion made it feel easier, but thats because it wasn't as broken. just crank up the difficulty if it bothers you that much. but just because morrowind's combat sucked at the start doesn't mean you the game wasn't amazing, it just becomes a minor imperfection.
---
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai.
#23Bazooka_PenguinPosted 12/23/2013 11:41:05 PM
I've always wondered why TES can't implement a melee system like M&B.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#24ryan0991Posted 12/24/2013 12:10:30 AM
Skyrim has the best combat system out of all the Elder Scrolls games, but that's certainly not much of an accomplishment. Especially considering that Skyrim's combat is still pretty damn dull and mindless.
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/BOBtheMASTER.jpg
Could care less = you care at least somewhat. Couldn't care less = you don't care at all.
#25RahvinnPosted 12/24/2013 2:50:27 AM
Why do Morrowind fanboys have to be so insufferable? At least try and be somewhat objective.

I love Morrowind, and in my opinion it's the best TES game, but the combat was completely rubbish. Oblivion, and to a lesser extent Skyrim, may have watered down the experience to a degree but their combat systems are a massive improvement.
---
'He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.'
#26ShadowThaReaperPosted 12/24/2013 8:10:35 AM
Rahvinn posted...

I love Morrowind, and in my opinion it's the best TES game, but the combat was completely rubbish. Oblivion, and to a lesser extent Skyrim, may have watered down the experience to a degree but their combat systems are a massive improvement.

Hardly a massive improvement when you're doing the exact same thing. Why are Skyrim and Oblivion fanboys so ignorant?

Combat sucks in all of them. Stop trying to hold up the newer games in the series just because you just started playing video gamed in 2007, and those are your first ones.
#27CommonJoePosted 12/24/2013 8:21:11 AM
DiviDude posted...
CommonJoe posted...
You are not your character in Morrowind. You are telling your character what to do, and he responds accordingly. Morrowind revolves around your character's skill, not your own. Doesn't matter if YOU could get that axe into the guy's face, because you're not the one swinging the axe.

Very true, but as Requiem put it earlier, this type of thought process it sort of at odds with the first person perspective, the whole point of which is to "make you your character."

But even so, I'd argue that Morrowind is so unpolished, so full of bugs and half-assed (and sometimes downright broken) game design, errors, mistakes, filler content, copy-and-paste gameworld, that I can't even recommend the game anyway. It's an interesting game to mess around in from time to time but taken as a whole, it's a mess.

Skyrim cleaned things up, although it still has a pretty bad case of Bethesda-itis. And to answer OP's question, they're sufficiently different that you could easily like one and dislike the other.

Not necessarily. First person helps with immersion, and was actually something not a lot of games with this kind of mechanic did. Either way though, the lack of animation ruined the merit first person had for this kind of game.

And what you said after that, what. None of that is even remotely true.

why do people defend morrowind's combat system. it was BAD, no two ways about it. the dice roll system meant that most of the time you were hitting air early on, i vividly remember being beaten to death by one of the residents of Seyda Neen because i wanted his house and he didn't want to move. i had a sword and armor and he had fists...

I never had this problem. Mostly because unlike others I didn't stand there like a lemming and let him hit me every time. And thats disregarding whether or not I'm even bothering to use the proper weapon I'm skilled for.

Frankly, outside of a couple races that were completely unsuited to melee combat in general, I never had a problem with using melee right off the boat. Any one who does, well, sucks at the game. The game isn't responsible for your shortcomings.

just crank up the difficulty if it bothers you that much

Having to quadruple the amount of time it takes to kill something doesn't make it harder.

Why do Morrowind fanboys have to be so insufferable? At least try and be somewhat objective.

I love Morrowind, and in my opinion it's the best TES game, but the combat was completely rubbish

Claims a lack of objectivity, goes on to spout a completely subjective opinion.
---
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. Lets revitalize this game eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FUge6ghaIo&hd=1
#28Bossdog421Posted 12/24/2013 8:49:53 AM
Kokuei05 posted...
That's how it works. Hate Morrowind = you'll love Skyrim. Love Skyrim = you'll hate Morrowind.

I loved both of them
---
Type into Google - do a barrel roll
#29Ch3wyPosted 12/24/2013 8:50:55 AM
Bossdog421 posted...
Kokuei05 posted...
That's how it works. Hate Morrowind = you'll love Skyrim. Love Skyrim = you'll hate Morrowind.

I loved both of them

You don't exist.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#30DiviDudePosted 12/24/2013 9:14:53 AM
Rahvinn posted...
Why do Morrowind fanboys have to be so insufferable?

They really are the worst, aren't they? I can't think of another game so flawed that nonetheless is so desperately defended.