This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Complaints about the Steam Sale

#1Reinsol70Posted 12/23/2013 8:19:00 PM
Hey all,

So I keep seeing quite a few complaints about the Steam Winter Sale, some of which are legit, others... not so much.

One thing that I see constantly though is this response naming "butthurt entitlement" as the reason people seem so perturbed over the Winter Sale. I know, I know. This is GameFAQs where people with any sort of opinion are automatically targeted by others with the opposing opinion as a source of ridicule because well.. entitlement.

But seriously, my hate of the use of "butthurt" aside. The Steam Winter Sale has been... a little underwhelming. I know there's still time left and it might just be getting started but honestly, many of the flash sales are extremely cheap prices on games that were already dirt-cheap to begin with, not to mention sort of niche. (You Don't Know Jack Collection?)

Don't get me wrong, I love that Steam is there, and yes I bought MGS: Revengeance and some dirt cheap indie games that I already forgot about. But the other things I bought this year have all been gifts to friends who didn't have some staple games (Skyrim, Borderlands 2) or as Mystery-Santa type gifts to people on Steam.

What I'm getting at is... I recall seeing large packs of games for sale for 80% off in previous years, shiny new games for 75% off, things that were too new or too expensive for people to want to look at before, not cheap niche indie games that will clutter up an already underplayed library.

Sorry that I sound entitled, but Steam to me has always been set apart because of it's cheap prices and amazing sales on games that otherwise, would not have been. We, as consumers, have the right to be annoyed when we are not receiving the quality of service and sales that we are used to getting. Steam does not need our pity or defense and while this in no way purports to insist that I am in some way displeased with Steam as an over all service, I am slightly annoyed with it's Winter Sale to date and feel justified in being so.

I guess that this is, aside from a rant, a support topic for those others who feel like I do, that this (and the last few) sales has been fairly underwhelming. I hold out hope to see something other than another Skyrim, Max Payne 3, and Borderlands 2 sale which while in their own rights are awesome games, but are on sale what seem like monthly.

Thanks if you disagree and you're entitled to your opinion if you don't. Just the (verbose) thoughts of one man.
#2KabtheMentatPosted 12/23/2013 8:21:38 PM
Like I said in another thread about this same topic. It's not that the Steam sales are bad, it's just that most people have the crap they want already.

I've picked up a few things here and there, but there hasn't been a MUST HAVE thing I'm looking for right now.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#3LoshadtPosted 12/23/2013 8:24:43 PM
I think the winter sale has been pretty decent, the only thing that pissed me off are the community votes. How people can have such awful taste is beyond me. Also, I really wish people would stop using the word entitlement in a context it doesn't apply to.

I really hope the other Ys games or Shadowrun go on sale.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
#4xLexLuth0rxPosted 12/23/2013 8:30:42 PM
Loshadt posted...
I think the winter sale has been pretty decent, the only thing that pissed me off are the community votes. How people can have such awful taste is beyond me. Also, I really wish people would stop using the word entitlement in a context it doesn't apply to.

Shadowrun currently is on sale as a Daily Deal for $8.99.
---
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
"And like that, *poof*. He's gone."
#5Reinsol70(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2013 8:32:29 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
Like I said in another thread about this same topic. It's not that the Steam sales are bad, it's just that most people have the crap they want already.

I've picked up a few things here and there, but there hasn't been a MUST HAVE thing I'm looking for right now.

I agree with you, and I'm sure part of the issue is that I already have most of what I wanted. It does say something that there are enough sales on old(er) games that there's a noticeable number of complaints about the content of the sale. It could just be that there are not enough new games for sale I guess. Mebbe...

Loshadt posted...

True enough, although I've not been to happy with the community vote games either, again most of the games are ones that have been around for some time and are under the $10 already. Guess that links to the above in that I've already got the ones I want, but I feel that this is true for many Steam users.

Also, YS 1&2 and Shadowrun are both on sale (last I checked)
#6steveboblarryPosted 12/23/2013 8:32:39 PM
KabtheMentat posted...

This.
---
"Why let the modding community do it, when we can sell it to you?"
yours truly, EA.
#7FroakiePosted 12/23/2013 8:33:18 PM
I've spent too much money. Like 130 bucks so far.
>.<

KabtheMentat posted...

I can understand this. Most of these are games that are really popular that you'd probably own already.
---
http://i.imgur.com/EPGPNKk.jpg
wufei8706
#8r0ge00Posted 12/23/2013 8:35:44 PM
I've bought 1 game and another as a gift. This is already better than the summer and fall sale.
#9LoshadtPosted 12/23/2013 8:37:42 PM
xLexLuth0rx posted...
Shadowrun currently is on sale as a Daily Deal for $8.99.

Oh, it's already on sale. That's a bit of a disappointing price point.

Reinsol70 posted...
YS 1&2 and Shadowrun are both on sale (last I checked)

I noticed. I already bought Ys 1&2, now I'm looking for Origins and Oath in Felghana to finish off the collection.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
#10TiamatKillerPosted 12/23/2013 8:41:38 PM
As far as I'm concerned, it's been a success.

Got 3DMark, Rogue Legacy, and DA:O.
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 560Ti (2GB) @900MHz | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Samsung 840 (250GB) | 1TB Seagate 7200rpm | 8GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912