This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

DayZ question

#1gamesisgoodPosted 12/23/2013 9:09:53 PM
Have a few buddies who bought it and from what i hear it sounds like alot of fun but is it worth spensing 30 bucks for alpha? Will I have to pay full price again when its released? Any thoughts ?
---
The Dude abides.
#2KabtheMentatPosted 12/23/2013 9:13:02 PM
No, if you buy it now you get the entire game whenever it's gets a full release. It's sorta like a playable preorder deal, I guess.

It's a good game, but you'll need a decent PC to play it well and even then right now it's not optimized whatsoever, so even people with high end gaming systems are eating crap when they go to places like Cherno or Elektro...the two biggest towns.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#3CommonJoePosted 12/23/2013 10:25:27 PM
^ That's more of a lag issue than anything else. I for instance run the game smoothly at a near constant 45-50 FPS with 3 year old hardware. The game is (and always was) fairly CPU intensive, so games with similar visual quality will run better than DayZ does simply because they aren't simulating as much as DayZ's engine does.

As for OP's questions, I'd say its completely and totally worth it to buy it now, not just for the price, but also for the fact that it IS a complete game experience. You're not going to lose out on the classic DayZ experience by playing the Alpha, because the Alpha is only lacking in a few features of the mod (mainly vehicles, which many players seldom got to experience on vanilla servers anyway), and has completely overhauled several parts of the mod that were severely lacking.

As long as you don't mind the occasional character wipe (and honestly, unless you're a complete god at this game or are playing it in a really, really boring way, you'll be dying often enough that this won't be that big of a deal) then you can't lose buying DayZ right now.
---
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. Lets revitalize this game eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FUge6ghaIo&hd=1
#4ShadowThaReaperPosted 12/23/2013 11:22:03 PM
No, it's crap. It's a very early alpha version.

CommonJoe posted...
The game is (and always was) fairly CPU intensive, so games with similar visual quality will run better than DayZ does simply because they aren't simulating as much as DayZ's engine does.

You mean that Day Z's engine is extraordinarily unoptimized.
#5CommonJoePosted 12/24/2013 8:23:16 AM
I'm guessing you never actually played DayZ.

Or ARMA for that matter.
---
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. Lets revitalize this game eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FUge6ghaIo&hd=1
#6ShadowThaReaperPosted 12/24/2013 10:32:43 AM
CommonJoe posted...
I'm guessing you never actually played DayZ.

Or ARMA for that matter.

I own both. DayZ standalone runs like crap. The engine is unoptimized. What exactly is wrong with anything I've said?
#7Ork_HeroPosted 12/24/2013 10:37:35 AM(edited)
Don't buy the standalone just yet, it runs pretty bad, get Arma and mod it with Dayz instead. Honestly if you want a zombie game go get L4D or something. Zombies are an afterthought and barely a threat, and everyone just treats this game like a shooter. You're better off getting CoD or Battlefield for more exciting gameplay compared to this
---
'Ere we go!
UK gamer girl
#8KabtheMentatPosted 12/24/2013 10:36:16 AM
Ork_Hero posted...
Don't buy the standalone just yet, it runs pretty bad, get Arma and mod it with Dayz instead

To be fair, the mods run pretty bad as well.

It's the Arma engine that's the biggest problem. It's an interesting one, but so not refined it's comical.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson