This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ugh, I hate taxes on computer parts

#41KabtheMentatPosted 12/24/2013 11:36:36 AM(edited)
Because there are over 350 million of us and more being born and showing up all the time. People like to use small scale systems like in Scandinavia as an example of how things should run, but those don't upscale that well.

Beyond that, there are a lot of Canadians that come to the US for treatment when they can afford it because of all of the bureaucratic bullcrap you have to go through just to get appointments.

Also in the long run they are simply unsustainable.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#42jokujokujokuPosted 12/24/2013 12:13:56 PM
sonicteam2k1 posted...
JonWood007 posted...
You have free healthcare. Stop whining. We Americans are lucky to find medical insurance for that $200. A month.

and that's probably with a high ass deductible you need to reach before they start covering anything.

I pay $22.62 per week for single coverage with no deductible, and that even includes vision and chiropractic care as well. And this is for the best healthcare network in the area. It pays to find a good employer.

I'm quite happy with my 5% sales tax that isn't enforced for most online purchases.
#43JonWood007Posted 12/24/2013 1:25:48 PM
ArthasReborn posted...
I know that feeling, TC. I'm in Ontario with the 13% HST, so costs can get pretty high when buying computer parts.

JonWood007 posted...
You have free healthcare. Stop whining. We Americans are lucky to find medical insurance for that $200. A month.

I never did understand why the US hasn't shifted to Canada's system or even two-tier healthcare. People without money still get treated, and those with money have part of the costs subsidised by the general population and they can still pay for VIP treatment.

Because to do so is the equivalent of turning communist and those darn commie swedes allow patients to die on the operating table because they're not 'MURICA!

Or, what sonic said.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#44Ivany2008(Topic Creator)Posted 12/25/2013 12:38:27 AM
just because healthcare is free doesn't mean its good.

I worked security at a couple hospitals around where I live. During that time a man came in with a broken back and was forced to wait 8 hours just to get seen. He passed out on the floor from the pain he was in and even then they didn't have anyone to see him. Another example was when I got into a car accident, managed to get myself to the hospital and was forced to wait 4 hours just to be seen, and an hour later dismissed as nothing wrong with me(btw I broke my pinky and its permanently damaged thanks to their incompetent x-ray technician who had just started there as an intern and described the damage as just being swollen)

People with broken bones wait roughly 3-4 hours just to be seen. If you have a type of flu bug like say H1N1? good luck getting seen at all. I waited 4 hours to be seen in a smaller communities hospital, half hour in the examination room to talk to the doctor who disappears for another half hour before sending me home and not getting the cure I needed and just being told to wait it out.

Buddy of mine went into to emergency three times, waiting 2-3 hours each time only to be sent home with 3 different doctors telling his mother that he was faking the pain he was in just to get out of school(Straight A student mind you, who loved going to school). The fourth time he got lucky, managed to get into the clinic where he was promptly told that it was a good thing that he had got there as his appendix was on the verge of rupturing and that he would have been dead had he been sent home

I waited 7 hours to get my gallbladder removed, during which time I was in excruciating pain whilst lying down on a stretcher.

Before anyone complains and says we have it great with free healthcare, just look at how many doctors are leaving Canada and going to the states because they can make money there, whereas the only money to be made here healthcare-wise is if your high on the totem pole, or have a private clinic treating high-end clientele.

Average wait time I spent in an american hospital? about half hour. I have only done it twice on two different trips. Average wait time in a Canadian hospital? 5-6 hours depending on the conditions
#45mrsackyPosted 12/25/2013 3:02:31 AM
Ivany2008 posted...
just because healthcare is free doesn't mean its good.

I worked security at a couple hospitals around where I live. During that time a man came in with a broken back and was forced to wait 8 hours just to get seen. He passed out on the floor from the pain he was in and even then they didn't have anyone to see him. Another example was when I got into a car accident, managed to get myself to the hospital and was forced to wait 4 hours just to be seen, and an hour later dismissed as nothing wrong with me(btw I broke my pinky and its permanently damaged thanks to their incompetent x-ray technician who had just started there as an intern and described the damage as just being swollen)

People with broken bones wait roughly 3-4 hours just to be seen. If you have a type of flu bug like say H1N1? good luck getting seen at all. I waited 4 hours to be seen in a smaller communities hospital, half hour in the examination room to talk to the doctor who disappears for another half hour before sending me home and not getting the cure I needed and just being told to wait it out.

Buddy of mine went into to emergency three times, waiting 2-3 hours each time only to be sent home with 3 different doctors telling his mother that he was faking the pain he was in just to get out of school(Straight A student mind you, who loved going to school). The fourth time he got lucky, managed to get into the clinic where he was promptly told that it was a good thing that he had got there as his appendix was on the verge of rupturing and that he would have been dead had he been sent home

I waited 7 hours to get my gallbladder removed, during which time I was in excruciating pain whilst lying down on a stretcher.

Before anyone complains and says we have it great with free healthcare, just look at how many doctors are leaving Canada and going to the states because they can make money there, whereas the only money to be made here healthcare-wise is if your high on the totem pole, or have a private clinic treating high-end clientele.

Average wait time I spent in an american hospital? about half hour. I have only done it twice on two different trips. Average wait time in a Canadian hospital? 5-6 hours depending on the conditions

Imagine all of this happening and being sent home with a bill of a few thousand dollars for each visit you have and your insurance company May or may not pay a portion of it, let alone the entire bill, or try to weasel their way out of paying with a number of tricks they use. Yup that's the American health system for you, you pay a company only for them not to pay out when you need it.
#46Clique_KillaPosted 12/30/2013 12:53:49 AM
Did you really just blame a doctor for not curing you of the flu?
---
Killa of Cliques
#47ShadowGomamonPosted 12/30/2013 6:14:38 AM
blax34dm posted...
Jeese, over 10% sales tax? And tax on stuff ordered online? I might have nightmares about that tonight.

Nightmares over 10? We pay 20% in the UK..
#48SpazH3dPosted 12/30/2013 6:27:52 AM
In Denmark the tax is 25%. Oh the pain we have to endure to be the best country in the world.

Shut up I can say it.
---
- My vision is augmented