This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm in graduate school for math and DnD rule systems still confuse me

#1BendoHendoPosted 12/24/2013 1:52:34 AM(edited)
All I know about AD&D games is that low THAC0 = good, low AC = good. That usually gets me by.

Then in games like NWN 1/2, I still have a hard time figuring out what is going on.

--
#2TrueKuPosted 12/24/2013 1:41:53 AM
Are you a TA
Will you have sex with ugrads

Sometimes they have to take the D to get the A, right?

What's the point of all the proofs I had to do with Rings Groups Fields Vectors
And what's the heck is the significance of Dihedral Groups
---
Chief Scientician
#3BendoHendo(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2013 1:50:45 AM
TrueKu posted...
Are you a TA
Will you have sex with ugrads

Sometimes they have to take the D to get the A, right?

What's the point of all the proofs I had to do with Rings Groups Fields Vectors
And what's the heck is the significance of Dihedral Groups

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. How can we claim properties of Rings Groups Fields Vectors without proving them.
5. Intellectual curiosity. Chemists study dihedral groups to classify molecules

--
#4TrueKuPosted 12/24/2013 1:55:35 AM
Why claim properties about them, they don't anything.
I can't eat it like an orange.
---
Chief Scientician
#5Bigj089Posted 12/24/2013 3:02:19 AM
Doesn't a low AC mean you get hit more often?
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#6GjainPosted 12/24/2013 3:08:18 AM
Bigj089 posted...
Doesn't a low AC mean you get hit more often?

lower AC means better armor i beleive. god so long since touched dnd game of any type lol. but i believe 3rd edition DnD flipped it around the other way. 0-20 20-0 something like that. im not looking it up lol
#7Darkcloud20Posted 12/24/2013 5:32:24 AM
In second edition= lower AC, saving throws, THAC0 good
in third edtion = higher AC, saving throws, THAC0 good
---
http://raptr.com/Darkcloud1987
#8Super CreaturesPosted 12/24/2013 5:35:55 AM
In 2nd Edition (in PC game terms, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, Darksun: Shatter Lands, etc) THAC0 (To Hit Armor Class 0) means that is what the player must roll on their attack roll to hit an enemy with an AC of 0, to hit an enemy with a higher AC you would need to roll lower (for instance, if your THAC0 is 17 and your enemy has AC 4, you would only need to roll a 13 to hit it) and to hit an enemy with a lower AC you would need to roll higher (for instance, with a THAC0 of 17, you would need to roll a 19 if your enemy had AC -2).

So yes, in 2nd Edition, better armor means lower AC.

In 3rd Edition (Neverwinter Nights) and 3.5 (Neverwinter Nights 2, from what I've been told), to hit an enemy, your base attack bonus+str mod+misc mods must be equal to or higher than your enemy's AC (10+dex mod+armor bonus+shield bonus+misc mods) to hit the enemy.

So, in 3rd and 3.5, better armor means higher AC.

TC, your difficulty with NWN might be because you are too used to the 2nd Edition rules of games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, and still thinking in terms of 2nd Edition rules, when a significant number of changes were made when WotC released 3rd Edition, and even more changes were made with 3.5.

It might help to get a real game of 3rd or 3.5 going, with an experienced DM, to better understand the 3rd/3.5 rule set, or, you could just try looking into reading the 3rd or 3.5 Player's Handbook.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#9Bellum_SacrumPosted 12/24/2013 6:08:47 AM
You can actually find DnD rule faqs which cover what you need to know to play the games.

Amazing, I know.

Random piece of wisdom:
2nd Edition: Very simple, hard to understand,
3rd Edition: Ridiculously complicated, easy to understand.
3.5 Edition: Average complexity, easy to understand.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#10Darkcloud20Posted 12/24/2013 9:55:16 AM
I don't know 2nd edition isn't hard to understand when you know why these stats are better when they are negative.
---
http://raptr.com/Darkcloud1987